Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (posting via the Treo) a couple of yrs ago, during which time I was a Kyo6035 user, I went to the wireless trade show (CTIA). Palm & SonyEricsson were showing their Bluetooth card along with the T68i - I was seriously tempted. In fact, I remember telling someone - this is the future; this is what I want. But I waited on the Treo, and I'm glad I did. Yes, the little phone was cool, the BT was cool, but after leaving the SE booth, I realized that I went to the 6035 to have ONE device (I had been using a Vx and Omnisky, along with a cell phone - 3 total things), and going bac to that multiple piece parts was just NOT going to do it for me. Just one. Yes, there might be small sacrifices that are made, but the greater gain from just carrying ONE and having it there ALL the time far outweighs the small occasional - to me anyway - loss of this or that geegaw thing. I can live with 160x160 and no Wi-Fi. I have high-speed wireless internet with me ALL the time, in my pocket. How many folks can say that. The function I receive from the Treo and Sprint's network is awesome.
    Last edited by nrosser; 09/15/2003 at 10:27 AM.
    MapCash,
    Let me clarify. Yes, you can get attachments, use Office apps, etc. on a 600. My point is that, for my purposes, the functionality of document viewing/editing is really restricted on a low-res screen, as compared to a hi-res and hi-res + screen.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by purpleX

Does UX have interesting keyboard design ? yes
    Keyboard isn't getting rave reviews: http://www.gearbits.com/archives/000202.html

and no, thumboard/keyboard impact is not as big as you like to think.
    PS. Tengo for POS is about to go beta and I wonder how fast that will render thumboard obsolete. I am laughing hard already.
    I'm laughing that you'd think predictive text entry would be better.

FIRST you have to take out the stylus - thumboard you do not.

SECOND Predictive entry does not always get the word you want. It *OFTEN* does not. I've used both and the keyboard will win hands down. Tengo is great for those devices without a keyboard.
  4. purpleX
    and what makes you think tengo cannot handle 'alphabet by alphabet" input. Using tengo comes in two from, thumb typing like a keyboard, and 'scribing'. It's basically swiping over individual letter to force it type letter by letter.

no magic there. It's simple and it works.

wanna bet tengo predictive is faster when typing 'techno neandhertalis stupidus' ten times over? It comes with several set ups, utility, and short cuts. It even has two more keyboards and programmable dictionary.

and what is this with using tengo with stylus?

2 months after tengo introduction in POS, thumboard will be declared obsolete. heh. Too bad there is no POS smartphone with VG to further prove my point. But as of now tengo I am predicting all this from tengo popularity in PPC.

ah, the joy of spreading doom prophecy. mwahahahaha.... !
    I agree with nrossor in my strong preference for a single device. I can take the 160x160 limitation for a year or so until someone comes up with a better one device.
    Originally posted by silverado
    I agree with nrossor in my strong preference for a single device. I can take the 160x160 limitation for a year or so until someone comes up with a better one device.
    I'll second that, but only 1 year max and probably find it unacceptable after 6 months.

FYI: the new MS/Motorola MPx200 has a 176-by-220-pixel 16-bit colour screen. http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1508
    Originally posted by elysian9

FYI: the new MS/Motorola MPx200 has a 176-by-220-pixel 16-bit colour screen. http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1508
    Interesting. This makes the resolution basically no better than the Treo 600, since the 220 is because the screen is rectangular. With no data entry mechanism except the numeric keypad and lack of touch screen, this excludes this device for me. More generally, this would have to appeal only to people who are for the most part "spectators" of email.
  8. purpleX
    Orange will price mpx at 239, while treo600 at 400 with contract.

MPX uses 200mHz Xscale, 32/32 MB, 5hrs/5days contrast to 144mHz ?/32 MB, 5hrs/?days.

What's worst, V720 is already in the pipeline, with smartphone 2k3, BT, camera.

One thing is obvious, Handspring is already behind in price and basic spec.
    Using tengo comes in two from, thumb typing like a keyboard, and 'scribing'. It's basically swiping over individual letter to force it type letter by letter.
    Unless you have very small and pointy thumbs, I don't see the first as a possibility.

2 months after tengo introduction in POS, thumboard will be declared obsolete. heh.
    I predict it will only replace the on screen keyboard.
  10. purpleX
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft

Unless you have very small and pointy thumbs, I don't see the first as a possibility.
    huh? the keys have FAR larger surface area than any treo keys. No tactile feedback, but it has audio feedback.

What's more it has independent numerical pad, symbols, etc.

I predict it will only replace the on screen keyboard.
    It will make thumboard obsolete for inputting short messages soon enough.
    Originally posted by elysian9

I'll second that, but only 1 year max and probably find it unacceptable after 6 months.

Great for the Moto/M$ folks -- no thumboard is a no sale for me. I rely on my 300 too much to give up something this useful (yes, I used to have a BB).

Would love to see a brighter/bigger/high rez screen ... but battery life on the road is key. I can live with the screen on the 300 or 600, as long as I get to use my device for more than an hour and I have a thumboard for entry.

Can't wait for the 600 ...

huh? the keys have FAR larger surface area than any treo keys. No tactile feedback, but it has audio feedback.

What's more it has independent numerical pad, symbols, etc.

It will make thumboard obsolete for inputting short messages soon enough.
    Since the manufacture itself suggests using a stulus, I believe you would find it difficult, unless you have a very large screen, to use you thumbs on screen.

http://www.tengo.net/

I agree it is a creative input method, but I don't see how one will use this method, on say, the new motorola smartphone.
  13. purpleX
    in Battery department MPX win. It has same battery performance as treo 600, and it has replaceable battery.

treo "bigger screen will kill battery' is a total bunk.
  14. purpleX
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    Since the manufacture itself suggests using a stulus, I believe you would find it difficult, unless you have a very large screen, to use you thumbs on screen.

[QUOTE]

It performs nicely with adult humb and standard 3.5 inch screen.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by purpleX
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sir_mycroft

It performs nicely with adult humb and standard 3.5 inch screen.
    Unless you need to add a word. Or insert punctuation.
  16. purpleX
    I have no problem on those area. Adding words with scribing works nicely. Predictive is not something that POS user can quickly accept as added convinient since POS never has this. POS input method are still largely primitive and mostly depend on static keys or gesture typing.

I also think this thumboard hysteria is similar to grafitti area a few years back. Everybody says grafitti is the ultimate and only input solution for handheld. Then somebody at HS figure out copying blackberry actually sells. So now HS fan now thinks thumboard is the only ultimate and only input solution for handheld.

We'll see how fast this one is going to end...
    The MPX doen't have a touch screen. So bringing up Tengo, etc, in this discussion is rather misleading. You can only use the numeric keypad to enter any data into the MPX.

PurpleX surely knows all this and is conveniently mixing the comparisons letting everyone assume it is relevant to the MPX when it is not.
    I have no problem on those area. Adding words with scribing works nicely.
    With a stylus you mean. Or do you use your thumbnail to do it? I.e. the small pointy end?

And Palm, of course, does have a third party predictive text entry solution: http://www.mobi-systems.com/product-info.asp?ID=1 But you meant out of the box, I presume.

BTW how do you enter text on the new motorola? T9?
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 09/15/2003 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts

2 months after tengo introduction in POS, thumboard will be declared obsolete. heh. Too bad there is no POS smartphone with VG to further prove my point. But as of now tengo I am predicting all this from tengo popularity in PPC.

Tengo has been out for the Pocket PC for much longer than 2 months, but they are still making thumboards for Pocket PC Devices.

It's obvious you don't own and never have owned a Treo or Palm Device with thumboard. Did you know you can easily access shortcuts within a program with the thumboard? I can just hit the menu button and "Y" within Eudora to check email. No stylus needed. Or with the 600, launch programs with it? You really show your ignorance of these devices when you spout things just to annoy people.

I should really stop feeding the trolls.....
    Last edited by njchris; 09/15/2003 at 01:39 PM.
    Perhaps some are put-off by PurpleX's pessimistic posts. I for one, think they're hilarious and somewhat insightful (at times). So PurpleX, since you're a (self-proclaimed) prophet, I'd like to see a "Future of Handheld Computing"-type post/article from you. Given your knowledge of the PDA/mobilephone/converged device industries, where do you see these industries going in the next year/5 years? How do you see these industries converging, or eventually diverging? And what is your recommended technology path for us, "the users" at the leading edge of the technology curve?

Oh, and regarding the UX-50, I tested it out at my local CUSA and although being wowed by it's display, form factor, and features, I found it more of a gee-whiz gadget rather than something that's rock-hard reliable. Being a tried and true road warrior (over 5K miles per week) I'm going for the T600.
    go.digital
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast