1.    #1  
    Given the current price of the Treo 300 has come down to about $100.00 vs. the Treo 600 which I assume will be several hundred more and your experience with the 300, which would you buy if you were looking your first pda phone?
    It depends what you want. If don't need the SD slot for extra storage and do not care for a camera, then maybe the Treo 300 is a good choice for you. For a $100 USD, the T300 is a terrific deal and you probaby will be quite satisfied with it. However, if you're the type of person who needs to have the latest gear (like me ), the ATreo 600 might be worth the extra dollars.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Far as I'm concerned, $99 treo 300 is hogwash until credit actually shows up on the bill and is used in full. Wireless carriers tend to get amnesia or flat out change their mind on occasion. So to me your question is "should I pay $399 and take a chance that I'll get a $300 credit, or should I wait for something that may come out in october, or november, or december, or Q1-04, or Q2-04". Have you considered other smartphones such as the i330, i500, i700, xda, or 7135? Friend of mine just returned his 4th treo 300 ( two bad batteries, one yellow dotted screen, and one locked at the loading palmos screen) and the sprint store employees didn't have enough faith in their own treo 300's to give him a 5th so they gave him an i330 with a new 1yr warranty.

I've been by the sprint store in question. On their demo treo 300 the paint is all worn off and the lid is wobbly. Well, at least it has a lid. Many other places the lid on the demo is broken off. I have NEVER EVER seen a product displayed for sale in a damaged state as much as I've seen the treo 300.
    David
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The type of person comparing Treos is probably techie enough to appreciate 2 years of improvement.

The main thing about the Treo 300 is that the battery only lasts for about 1/2 to 1 hour of talk time, whereas the 600 is supposed to be double or more that.

Really all other aspects are incremental. The 600 has no lid that breaks, its faster, has a slot, is newer, it is OS5 instead of OS3, has better speakers, etc.
    eyeball,

another thing to consider is that getting the 300 for $99 would give you the chance to inexpensively prove (or disprove) that buying a more expensive smartphone would be worthwhile.

$500 is *a lot* of money to spend on a phone, so spending a year with the 300 will give you a good idea about your needs actually are. you may find that a tiny phone with basic pda functions is all you actually need. or, by the time you're ready to upgrade, the 600 will be $99 and there will undoubtedly be something newerfastercooler to drool over.

good luck with the decision!
    A Treo 300 for $99 is a steal!

If you don't need the SD Slot and better battery life, then go for it!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
  7.    #7  
    After reading these responses I am really leaning towards the 300 but there seems to be a lack of quality in the product. I have read a lot of "I'm on my 3rd treo" type messages.

Hopefully it is just a few of you with really bad luck. It is my concern that if I happen to be one of the unlucky few and buy a product that is on it's way out there won't be a 3rd treo to be had.

I agree about the "service Credit" maybe I would be better off buying it for $129.00 through amazon and getting true rebates...
    The 300 is a great product. Remember, on this board you mostly hear from people that are having problems. Its a great source for help. But, there are lots of people out there that arent having any probs and dont write in.
    Ive had mine for just over a year now. It is my second one, but the first was seriously abused with 5 months in the middle east dust. I needed the PDA feature. At the end of the 5 months I got a purple line through the screen and the Sprint rep replaced it without question (on the last day of warranty).
    I dont have a wobbly lid. I dont have super short battery life. Ive talked for 1h : 13m last week and the battery indicator showed just the first mark of reduced battery reserve. Thats with the latest software update. Im a pilot and travel all over the country, and I have excellent coverage everywhere I go. I paid $500 for my 300 on the first day it was released and Im very happy with it. $100 is a steal.
    I will get the 600 when it comes out though....
    A guy at work just got the 300 and I am really starting to dig it. I set up his internal email on it and he about flipped. I am now debating on whether or not to get the $99 deal. I don't use many minutes so I will be on one of the lower plans and $300 credit should get me through 4-6 months of service. The only thing that is stopping me is deciding weather or not to wait for the $600. I know that there is a reported trade in but I have not seen any details yet. If I get a few more questions answered I maybe ready to jump in.
    Originally posted by roybfr
    A guy at work just got the 300 and I am really starting to dig it. I set up his internal email on it and he about flipped. I am now debating on whether or not to get the $99 deal. I don't use many minutes so I will be on one of the lower plans and $300 credit should get me through 4-6 months of service. The only thing that is stopping me is deciding weather or not to wait for the $600. I know that there is a reported trade in but I have not seen any details yet. If I get a few more questions answered I maybe ready to jump in.
    So ask away.
    I wanted to read a little more on the Web portion of it including some the web clipping that has been brought up that was used on some of the older devices. Reguardless I ordered it tonight and it will be here Thursday. Even thougth I really want the 600 I figured the $99 was to good to pass up, plus I can always upgrade later. The only thing that I wished the 600 had was 320x320 and higher color. But I am sure that will come in due time.
    If I ever do a hard reset, web clipping is one thing I won't be restoring. It's black/white, iffy fonts, and doesn't offer anything I can't already get with Blazer. Pqa's were more attractive when the connection speed was 14.4.
    To me, 300 has all the things I wanted and done right. I'd not bother with 600. How's the reception of the 600? My 300 is better than Sanyo 4900 reception-wise.

I dont know if 600 is a thing done right or not, but I know my 300 is, which is very rare these days while designers and manufactures rushing products onto market only to make Wall Street happy not our dear customers. More often, I see a new version does not fix any of the problems but brings more bugs.

If the 600 does not drain out battery in no-service area, use detachable or even better AAA batteries, has a built-in modem, comes with Xiino (not that Blazer crap), supports calling card like Nokia phones, I may give it a try. For other "features", who cares.