1.    #1  
    Anyone who is interested, I've replied to a post T180NL and put up a pic of my latest 'experiment'... T270NL mkII (NL=no lid)... don't ask what happened to mkI
    www.gsmworld.com
    That is a truly fantastic job you did ! I am truly impressed. It makes me wonder what you will get up to with the T600...
    By the way, what did you do to the antenna ???
    Cheers
  3.    #3  
    The mods to the antenna were actually made some time ago (T180HFL = Half Flip Lid).

Stripped off the black shielding and cut down the metal stub. Bonded the black cap back on and used heat-shrink insulation to cover the metal and give it that 'like a bought one' look.

Have not noticed any degradation in signal strength.

It is one thing that disappoints me about the 600 - hopefully there is a good reason why the antenna is the size of a small house
    www.gsmworld.com
  4.    #4  
    Another hackup job
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nzmoko; 12/11/2003 at 12:49 PM.
    www.gsmworld.com
    As usual, fantastic
    Hi Nzmoko,

The MK II looks great . I've finally taken inspiration from you and Kevin Boh and taken apart my treo 270. Now that I am familiar with it I plan to put it back together again minus the lid. I've never done this before and am not too familiar with tools etc. but what the heck I'l give it a shot. I have the following questions :

1. How do you make the triangular shoulders for the speaker housing? Did you get some sort of plastic resin or did you cannibalise parts from the treo lid? Also how do you mould or machine the plastic? What sort of tools are required? Do you have any pics of a work in progress?

2. I also plan to change the color of my treo. I test painted a part of the lid with a matt black and the results look promising. Any precautions I should take here?

3. While I am at it I was wondering if I can replace the treo 270's battery with something better. I am now down to 40 min. of talk time and practically carry a charger around everywhere. Can the treo 600's battery or any other battery be used to juice up the treo for a better battery life?

My project will commence this weekend and if everything goes well I'll post pics on the progress. Please pray for me !!
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by treo_knight
    Hi Nzmoko,

The MK II looks great . I've finally taken inspiration from you and Kevin Boh and taken apart my treo 270. Now that I am familiar with it I plan to put it back together again minus the lid. I've never done this before and am not too familiar with tools etc. but what the heck I'l give it a shot. I have the following questions :

1. How do you make the triangular shoulders for the speaker housing? Did you get some sort of plastic resin or did you cannibalise parts from the treo lid? Also how do you mould or machine the plastic? What sort of tools are required? Do you have any pics of a work in progress?

2. I also plan to change the color of my treo. I test painted a part of the lid with a matt black and the results look promising. Any precautions I should take here?

3. While I am at it I was wondering if I can replace the treo 270's battery with something better. I am now down to 40 min. of talk time and practically carry a charger around everywhere. Can the treo 600's battery or any other battery be used to juice up the treo for a better battery life?

My project will commence this weekend and if everything goes well I'll post pics on the progress. Please pray for me !!
    Thanks Knight.

To answer your questions:

1. The shoulder parts are pre-fabricated from plastic. They're basically cut from a rod 7mm square. These are glued and screwed into place. Pick up from a good modeling shop.
    The only part I use from the lid is the speaker.
    The 'filler' is plain old car filler - the stuff you use to fill those dents you pick up in supermarket car parks. It's easily sanded and sets hard - excellent for modeling.
    I only use Proxxan modeling power tools: High speed circular saw, various drills, high speed sander. Dremel also make good modeling tools. I don't think I could do the job without them - well, I probably could but the tools drastically reduce the time.
    There are some pics floating around on TreoŚCentral.

2. For paint. I use 3 coats of car acrylic on top of filler/primer cut back with wet and dry sand paper.
    Make sure you sand off all of the old paint and use the finest paper. It's all about prep. The more prep, the better it looks.

3. I don't think you can use a 600 battery in a 270. I suggest replacing your 270 battery with the same type.

For a speaker housing, I have found plastic tap filters to be excellent.

Oh, you will need to reduce the length of the speaker wire. Do not de-solder at the speaker. Easy way is to remove the two pins from the plug with needle-nose pliers, cut the wire down and re-assemble. A lot safer and looks professional.

Here is a link to my first attempt: (it's still alive and well) T270NL MkI

Good luck
    Last edited by nzmoko; 02/11/2004 at 04:59 AM.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Thanks for the prompt reply Nzmoko and for the patience with which you've gone into the details. Really appreciate it.

I've read each and every one of the threads and seen all the pics on this subject from you n Kevin. Just wanted to know if u have some pics of the work in progress at various stages but if these are not readily available its OK.

BTW I've come across another stumbling block. I wanted to replace the antenna with one of those miniature ones but have discovered that the one on my model does not screw off. Its either that or the Loctite they've used on the washer is so strong that the antenna refuses to unscrew. I've played with it to the point of observing minor stress fractures on the plastic housing around it so I've backed off for now. In your previous threads you explained having cut off the rubber casing on the existing antenna and wrapping the metal stub under it with insulation tape. I am a bit wary off going this route coz cutting the rubber cover is irreversible and getting spares in this part of the world; I am in Indonesia :-) is difficult. Do u or anyone else in this forum hav pics of what the antenna looks like after u hv cut off the protective rubber casing. Can it then be used as is?
    To all forum members - I've recently announced my intention to conduct drastic plastic surgery on my treo 270. I wanted a general opinion from all the folks out there as to whether I should work towards the Nzmoko look (not the avataar or the Kevin look.

I've attached a comparative pic of both works of art - Nzmoko on the left and Kevin on the right.

P.S. : Nzmoko n Kevin I hope u do not mind my modifying ur posted images for comparison.
  10.    #10  
    www.gsmworld.com
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by treo_knight
    Do u or anyone else in this forum hav pics of what the antenna looks like after u hv cut off the protective rubber casing. Can it then be used as is?
    I will try and post a pic of my standard Treo antenna which has been cut down. Should be here tomorrow.

BTW. Kevs NL Treo is a lot easier to do and looks pretty funky. Mine takes a lot of work and looks like a 'Blackberry' - not sure if that is good or not
    www.gsmworld.com
    Nzmoko,

Look forward to seeing a pic of the shaved antenna. I want to take up the mod project this weekend.

I am currently leaning towards the blackberry look. I know it will take a lot of work but it looks neater and can easily pass off as another new phone on the market which adds to the factor.

I am not into tweaking electronics n stuff but I do have the following mods in mind if someone out there can figure out how to do them.

1. Change the IR transmitter on the 270 to a stronger one so the treo works as a long range universal remote. It's current range of 4-6 feet just doesn't cut it.

2. When the casing modification is done to move the speaker up - I was wondering if there would be some way to fit a small miniature camera into the back of the casing but this would also require a an SD card acceptor to be included for the extra memory and of course how the heck wud these 2 components connect to the main treo unit.

3. Connect an integrated pull out hands free speaker unit instead of or in addition to the speaker. The extra cable of the external unit can stay inside a small spring loaded housing so no external components to mess with.

Well, these are just ideas..... I can feel a few people reading this thread saying......."just go and get yourself a treo 600" but u see then I can't say its custom made
  13.    #13  
    One cut down 270 antenna... it actually looks a lot better than the blury pic (taken with my 600... hmmm...)

Nice ideas
    www.gsmworld.com
    Mhmm very cool this new T270NL MkI Plan you this hack to sale? I like this design, its great. It is better then the www.xelibri.com/ things i saw on the siemens page.

Cu,
    ___
    /orsten

http://www.decrea.net
    hi guys this is my first posting i been on this site for a while but never registered....1 question, are any of you guys selling any of these nl cases for the 300 i would like to replace mines, with one of these, im not as artistic in this area as you guys to try to build my own
    nzmoko, have you tried using rubbing compound and car polish to get a mirror finish? does a mirror finish look good (and last long) on plastic?
    nzmoko and kevin, im really inspired with your works... i hope i can begin modifying mine too. i am a noob with fillers and modelling stuff so i think ill stick with a design similar to that of kevin's..