Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Marty1781

That number really isn't valid here. It all depends on how many channels the device supports and for the GSM/GPRS Treo 600, 48kbps will be its max receiving rate.

The CDMA Treo 600, OTOH, will have no such limitations and be capable of speeds of up to 144kbps. I routinely got speeds of 110+kbps with my Treo 300 on Sprint.
    Marty, just curious how you measured this on the T300. I can only do a comparison between my Samsung i300 and my Treo300. Due to the slow processor speed of BOTH these devices, my browser experience on both device are still slow in my opinion. When I moved up the the T300, I did not see much noticible improvement in browser speed. Again, I attribute this to the slow processor of the T300, not the slow network speed. I have noticed that other data functions are MUCH faster on vision. I can download over 100 email messages (POP3) to my Treo in under 4 minutes when on theSamsung (2.5G) it would take 20-30 minutes for the same). So, overall, I am very pleased with the data speed and am looking forward to having the faster processor of the T600 to make the experience more enjoyable.

I also have a data card for my laptop (Novatel Merlin 201C) and have been very satisfied with the data speeds. Like you, I have routinely clocked speeds in the 120K range using a bandwith meter like 2wire.

On thing I have noticed on both my Treo and my laptop is that any telnet application I run, seems to run slow. I am connecting to an IBM AS400 which I use a full screen TN5250 emulator to connect to. The max screen size is 132x24 (about 3000 characters), and I dont get the lightning response I expect. I wonder if there is anything about the way the network is designed that would cause poor performance for telnet.
    Carl
    Carl,

The speeds I am referring to are when I connect my Treo 300 to my laptop for use as a wireless modem. Then I just use any of the various bandwidth meters like yourself to get my rating. The surfing experience I get when using the T300 as a wireless laptop modem has been very good for me, obviously not broadband but a huge improvement over a dialup connection.

I haven't actually clocked speeds while browsing on the Treo 300 itself although I clearly remember thinking how much faster web pages loaded on the T300 than on the I300. I do know there is a free program out there called "Bmeter" that you can run on the Treo 300 (or any Palm smartphone for that matter) that will measure your bandwidth.
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    Carl,

The speeds I am referring to are when I connect my Treo 300 to my laptop for use as a wireless modem. Then I just use any of the various bandwidth meters like yourself to get my rating. The surfing experience I get when using the T300 as a wireless laptop modem has been very good for me, obviously not broadband but a huge improvement over a dialup connection.

I haven't actually clocked speeds while browsing on the Treo 300 itself although I clearly remember thinking how much faster web pages loaded on the T300 than on the I300. I do know there is a free program out there called "Bmeter" that you can run on the Treo 300 (or any Palm smartphone for that matter) that will measure your bandwidth.
    Marty, just be careful hooking up the laptop to the Treo. I am sure you have seen the threds here regarding Sprint crack down on that activity. If you use wireless data quite a bit on your laptop, you should look at the wireless PCS PCMCIA cards. For $80/unlimited a month, I think they are worth it. Sure beats a dial up account with an ISP!
    Carl
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

Marty, just be careful hooking up the laptop to the Treo. I am sure you have seen the threds here regarding Sprint crack down on that activity. If you use wireless data quite a bit on your laptop, you should look at the wireless PCS PCMCIA cards. For $80/unlimited a month, I think they are worth it. Sure beats a dial up account with an ISP!
    Carl,

Thanks for the headsup but like you said, I am quite aware of Sprint and their position with regards to using your phone as a wireless modem. I just watch my useage and so far everything has been fine.
    Originally posted by paulshu
    Don't forget that with GPRS over GSM, you have to dial up a connection EVERY TIME you want to move data. With Sprint, you can (theoretically) stay connected all day. In reality I usually get bumped off the network after a couple of hours, but it beats having to dial in every time.
    How do you figure that? With GPRS on T-Mobile, I can stay connected for days at a time without ever reconnecting.
    Originally posted by Alli

How do you figure that? With GPRS on T-Mobile, I can stay connected for days at a time without ever reconnecting.
    I tried T-mobile GPRS last fall for a 30 day trial and this was the case. I guess things have changed in the past year. That's great news, because I may want to leave Sprint when my contract expires next month. Sounds like T-mobile is a genuine alternative. Do you have any complaints at all about their data service? One that I have about Sprint is that the network is often busy during peak hours which makes it impossible to log on.

One that I have about Sprint is that the network is often busy during peak hours which makes it impossible to log on.
    You may want to at least wait until ReadyLink (Push to Talk) rolls out... We are upgrading all our towers in congested areas to have 2 Vision cards in them instead of one, to open up twice the channels to the WAN. This is so we can roll out ReadyLink, which is just a gloified Voice over IP solution not unlike using AIM in voice chat mode... The by-product of this will be increased data channels avalible to you.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Originally posted by starrwulfe

This is so we can roll out ReadyLink, which is just a gloified Voice over IP solution not unlike using AIM in voice chat mode...
    I sure hope the quality is better than AIM's voice chat mode. Even over a T1 I have found AIM's voice chat to be a joke and just about worthless.
    Carl

I tried T-mobile GPRS last fall for a 30 day trial and this was the case. I guess things have changed in the past year. That's great news, because I may want to leave Sprint when my contract expires next month. Sounds like T-mobile is a genuine alternative. Do you have any complaints at all about their data service? One that I have about Sprint is that the network is often busy during peak hours which makes it impossible to log on.
    Keep in mind T-Mo's GPRS wasn't officially launched until Thanksgiving of last year. I get a clean connect almost every time I try, and when I travel I've been able to leave the GPRS connection on so that I can automatically poll for e-mail (SnapperMail) or use Verichat.

As for Sprint adding on PTT...I get the feeling that before long everyone will have that. What an annoyance being anywhere you find a Nextel customer and listening to both halves of their conversation!
    I'm considering switching from Sprint to T-Mobile, but that roaming data charge is scary. 270 users, is there any way to tell when you are romaing, in the middle of a browser session? I don't want to be downloading something, and have the phone roam for a few minutes, only to end up with a $20 extra fee for 2 MB of roaming data.

Alternatively, can you disable data roaming?
    Originally posted by Alli

I second that! I, too, have smooth and long connections with T-MO and GPRS
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    So, T-mobile is starting to sound better and better. But it sounds like Sprint still has a couple of advantages:

- Faster data rate (although you probably won't notice this unless you are downloading relatively large files)

- Unmetered data usage
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    you better get ready to make the switch to Sprint! T-Mobile, my current carrier, has told me it will not sell or support the new 600. This does not come as a surprise to me since their support of the previous Treo has been awful.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    randyg, what kind of communication did you recieve from them that told you this?

I've got two weeks to get out of my Tmob contract before I'm stuck with them and this Sidecrap device for another year.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I spoke with one of the upper level tech guys because i was having a problem with my service. While i had him on the phone i asked him if he had heard anything re: the 600. He said they had told their techs (who were questioning when they were going to get one in for testing and troubleshooting) that they would not be carrying the 600. I would imagine that if you can get one that takes a SIM, that all you have to pop your current card in and it should work. I was using my 180g with T-Mo before anyone there even knew what they were.
    Originally posted by randyg
    you better get ready to make the switch to Sprint! T-Mobile, my current carrier, has told me it will not sell or support the new 600. This does not come as a surprise to me since their support of the previous Treo has been awful.
    I know what they said, but your rep has no idea what he is talking about...

It is true that they may not sell it. but...

a) T-Moblie customer care is never informed of whether a phone will be sold by them until the day they start selling it

b) it is a GSM/GPRS phone. (i.e. you can use it on the t-mobile network as long as it is unlocked.

-Mike
    That's what I thought. They will more than likely not sell or brand it.

*sighs* Looks like I'm going to have to get an unlocked one and pay out the ear for it if I stay with them.

I put in an email with Tmob to see if it would be worth sticking with them to use an unlocked phone. (Natuallry, I expect them to say "of course!")

It's the flexibility of being able to move carriers that I'm concerned with.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I know what they said, but your rep has no idea what he is talking about...

It is true that they may not sell it. but...

a) T-Moblie customer care is never informed of whether a phone will be sold by them until the day the start selling it

b) it is a GSM/GPRS phone. (i.e. you can use it on the t-mobile network as long as it is unlocked.
    If you'll actually read my posts, you'll see i was speaking with one of the techs, not a customer no-service person. The techs are the first ones to get the good data on stuff like this.

Secondly, i pointed out your b) already.

I'm merely stating what was told to me, so if you do get a 600 and still use T-Mo don't expect any support from them for the phone.
    Originally posted by randyg

I'm merely stating what was told to me, so if you do get a 600 and still use T-Mo don't expect any support from them for the phone.
    You say that as though T-Mo ever gave any support for the Treo in the first place. Let's see...how long did we use our unbranded Treo 270's on T-Mo before T-Mo realized it supported them? I bought mine in June and it was November before the T-Mo GPRS update came through...so five months give or take. I expect no better/worse with the 600. I want my cell service to be just that - service. The hardware side (be it a Treo or something that has yet to be invented) should be supported by the manufacturer. It amounts to expecting your isp to support your computer. One is service, the other is goods.
    So, T-mobile is starting to sound better and better. But it sounds like Sprint still has a couple of advantages:

- Faster data rate (although you probably won't notice this unless you are downloading relatively large files)

- Unmetered data usage
    Your concern about Sprint having "unmetered data usage" vs T-Mobile is unfounded. T-Mobile also has unlimited data usage.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast