1.    #1  
    Attention Mr. and Mrs. Treogeek, and all the geeks at sea. This just in:

Palm Inc upgraded to "peer perform"

Friday, September 12, 2003 12:01:19 PM ET
    Bear Stearns

NEW YORK, September 12 (New Ratings) - Analysts Andrew J. Neff of Bear Stearns upgrades Palm Inc (PALM) from "underperform" to "peer perform."

In a research note published this morning, the analyst mentions that the stability in demand and enhanced execution by the company warrant the upgrade in rating. The performance of Treo 600 and the introductions of three products offer upside to the company’s stock valuation, the analyst adds. The company is expected to announce 1Q04 results at the high end of its guidance, Bear Stearns says. Palm’s near term prospects are bright, as the current demand environment seems to be gaining momentum.

© 2003 New Ratings

I find interesting that the 600 has already been deemed a success. The "between the lines" to me looks like the uptake of carriers is what the performance line is acknowledging. I'm betting (but no emperical evidence) on the T68 and the 3650 as the only other smartphones as having had a broader carrier uptake.
    Doug
    Handheld makers should be making money hand over fist for these itsy pieces of $499 plastic, and if they are not it shows how unproductive, top heavy, bottom heavy, and bloated they are at every level. Someone needs to go in and ask every employee what their function is, what they do, then use the big picture to eliminate/combine tasks/positions, etc. If McDonalds can make money with a 99 cent menu, PalmOne should easily be making money now and in the future. When Hawkins started, the technology didn't exist. Now it not only exits, a cottage industry is focused on incrementalism (or decrementalism in the case of pdas). All they have to do is figure out if the pieces will be assembled in mexico or china.
    David
    Someone needs to go in and ask every employee what their function is, what they do, then use the big picture to eliminate/combine tasks/positions, etc.
    Somone has been watching Office Space.

Uga.
    Originally posted by drw
    Handheld makers should be making money hand over fist for these itsy pieces of $499 plastic, and if they are not it shows how unproductive, top heavy, bottom heavy, and bloated they are at every level. Someone needs to go in and ask every employee what their function is, what they do, then use the big picture to eliminate/combine tasks/positions, etc. If McDonalds can make money with a 99 cent menu, PalmOne should easily be making money now and in the future. When Hawkins started, the technology didn't exist. Now it not only exits, a cottage industry is focused on incrementalism (or decrementalism in the case of pdas). All they have to do is figure out if the pieces will be assembled in mexico or china.
    So go into business yourself and stop complaining.
    Originally posted by drw
    There is a lot more to cost/price than how much it actually costs to manufacture. Do you have any idea what is takes to get a product to market, and the gamble a company takes on every product? Things like R&D and marketing are EXPENSIVE. It's not just the boards and plastic that go into determining how to price a device.
    Carl
    Originally posted by drw
    If McDonalds can make money with a 99 cent menu, PalmOne should easily be making money now and in the future.
    For what it's worth McDonald's cited the dollar menu (not 99 cent menu) as the reason they had a loss a couple of quarters ago. I don't follow their stock too much, but that I vividly recall. It seems customers weren't purchasing higher margin fries and drinks. Near me, the closest McDonalds doesn't have a dollar menu, but instead calls it a Value Menu with prices ranging from $100 to $1.50.
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

Things like... marketing are EXPENSIVE. It's not just the boards and plastic that go into determining how to price a device.
    Whatever. Handspring does the least amount of marketing I have ever seen. I only have 2 colleagues who have even heard of a Treo and they are all very tech savvy. There is NO marketing on the part of HS that I've ever seen. Ever see a (non-Sprint) HS commercial? I haven't. They're just a total screw up of a company. I hope Palm can turn it around.
    Run a business sometime and SEE all the cost associated with running it, that have nothing to do directly with producing a product, you might sing a different song. Maybe a course in cost or managerial accounting should be in your future.

As for the price of the Treo, 4-500 bucks is reasonable in my opinion. In the end the MARKET will determine the price, not Handspring. If people are willing to pay $600, then that will be the price, if people are only willing to pay $300, then that will be the price. Of course if you want to be an early adopter, then you will pay what Handspring sets the price at initially. If not, you can wait for the market forces to take over.

For me the bottom line is the Treo is a tool. My most important tool. It makes me money, it is not a toy. My Treo600 will pay for itself in the first month or two. I just wish it would get here.
    Carl
    .Marketing arguments aside, I'm sorry, but your buddies that are supposedly tech savvy never heard of the Treo? Then they are not tech savvy, at least not in consumer electronics/wireless.

Every geek I know loves the Treo (if they are Palm and thumboard fans), although they bemoand the high price. Now that it's come down, it's more attractive, but they are going to wait to for the 600 - got to have the latest :-)
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

For me the bottom line is the Treo is a tool. My most important tool.... I just wish it would get here.
    Like you, I consider my Treo to be a tool, though much more than a phone or a PDA. I use it many times throught the day and rely on it. At the end of the work day, it has tracked everything I have done.

Ben