1.    #1  
    Anyone who's been waiting for true MO-SMS might want to check this thread from HoFo out:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=200227

Of the three phones listed that will support true SMS, notice what the second one is.
    Additional prices to have MO-SMS?!! Lets see...one time payment for Treo600SMS from pdaapps or some monthly BS payment to Sprint! Yeah...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Additional prices to have MO-SMS?!! Lets see...one time payment for Treo600SMS from pdaapps or some monthly BS payment to Sprint! Yeah...
    Although it's faster than conventional Shortmail, using Treo300/600SMS is still slower than real SMS. Sometimes I'll get the notification that I have Shortmail and it'll take like 5 minutes until I actually get the message. That wouldn't happen with SMS. If Sprint's SMS prices are on par with other carriers, it might be worth it.
    Do we know for certain that Pdaapps is going to upgrade Treo300sms to work on the 600?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Do we know for certain that Pdaapps is going to upgrade Treo300sms to work on the 600?
    I would be shocked if they didn't. They released i500SMS within a week or two of when the i500 was released. There's a good chance that the Treo 600 will be released well before SMS comes around. Even after that some people would rather keep free Shortmail than pay for SMS. For those reasons, PDAapps would be foolish not to release Treo600SMS.

Wow, I just realized I used the words release and released way too many times in this post.
    Yes they will...I don't recall where but they posted here some where on the forums that they were working on it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well if you are right then it would seem like a good idea to take a "wait and see" attitude with regard to what Sprint is going to come out with. I wouldn't be surprised to see some new plans get announced around Thanksgiving that will bundle the new SMS and vision services to attract the holiday buyers.
    My own contract expires on Nov. 12th and I may go on a month-to-month till I see what is going to happen. Although I suppose I can renew it and change it later . . . as long as I don't lose my $10 vision.
    :-D
    I have a treo 300....does this mean, that with the upgrade from pdaapps, I can send sms messages to people that are going to have the new sprint phones with sms?
    You can currently use Treo300SMS to send messages to anyone in the US with text messaging. Shortmail just doesn't send to foreign phones.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by broncoman
    I have a treo 300....does this mean, that with the upgrade from pdaapps, I can send sms messages to people that are going to have the new sprint phones with sms?
  10.    #10  
    Right now Shortmail will send messages to and receive messages from users of other carriers, they just receive/send SMS on their end. I don't see why this would change with Sprint SMS. I doubt they would make their SMS incompatible with Shortmail.
    but if the previous posts are correct, does this mean that my treo 300 will be upgradable to use sprint's SMS? or will I have to buy a new phone?
  12.    #12  
    but if the previous posts are correct, does this mean that my treo 300 will be upgradable to use sprint's SMS? or will I have to buy a new phone?
    No one can really say. If I had to guess, I think it might support SMS now. The app that comes with the Treo 300 is called SMS. it doesn't work with Shortmail because Shormail isn't SMS. The has the same app and it handles SMS just fine. I think if Sprint rolls out real SMS, the app already on the Treo 300, not using Treo300SMS might be able to process SMS just fine on its own. This is just a guess and I don't have any proof one way or the other.
    I am betting that when Sprint rolls out their NEW SMS software that they will make this available as a free upgrade to Treo 300 users. Since the s/w that comes standard on the 300 does not allow us to "send" (only receive) won't they have to send us an update? Or post in on the Sprint user's website? It seems to me that the Treo 300 was SUPPOSED to have true SMS capability (hence the Treo300SMS credits many of us got from Sprint) and they will have finally made it right.

If they do NOT provide this upgrade to the 300 users I predict a major uproar. We should not have to buy a 600 to access this capability (even though most of us plan to buy one anyway).

Just conjecture ...
  14.    #14  
    I am betting that when Sprint rolls out their NEW SMS software that they will make this available as a free upgrade to Treo 300 users. Since the s/w that comes standard on the 300 does not allow us to "send" (only receive) won't they have to send us an update? Or post in on the Sprint user's website? It seems to me that the Treo 300 was SUPPOSED to have true SMS capability (hence the Treo300SMS credits many of us got from Sprint) and they will have finally made it right.

If they do NOT provide this upgrade to the 300 users I predict a major uproar. We should not have to buy a 600 to access this capability (even though most of us plan to buy one anyway).

Just conjecture ...
    We don't know for sure how the Treo 300's software works with SMS. The manual says it receives, but that's one-way text messages, not SMS. No one has EVER tried to send an SMS from a Treo 300 because it doesn't exist on Sprint.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

We don't know for sure how the Treo 300's software works with SMS. The manual says it receives, but that's one-way text messages, not SMS. No one has EVER tried to send an SMS from a Treo 300 because it doesn't exist on Sprint.

Exactly. It doesn't work now. When they roll out true SMS then I am hoping that we will get this capability FREE. Or at least some sort of promotion (3 months free to existing 300 owners, etc.). Sprint has already acknowledged that they misrepresented the 300's SMS capability. They should make good and make this software available to us when they can. If they cannot do this because the 300 is simply not able to then maybe we can get an additional discount if we upgrade to a 600.

Sheesh ... probably just dreaming here.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Right...The SMS software on the Treo 270 and 300 is identical. It was never customized by Sprint because SMS wasn't a real service on Sprint networks. The SMS application on the Treo was designed for GSM networks (thus it works fine on the Treo 270). SMS is a GSM standard. CDMA carriers such as Verizon have their own versions of "SMS", but these are not the same as the GSM standard.

Treo customer expectations would be that since the Treo is touted as having SMS capability, it should have such capability regardless of the network that it is running on. So Sprint tried to appease, but fell short of expectations. Hence the necessity for Treo300SMS.

If Sprint has now developed a functionally complete SMS solution, there is no guarantee that the existing SMS application on the Treo 300 will work with it because we don't know what network changes had to take place for Sprint to provide this functionality. It may indeed work, but most likely a patch will be needed.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  17.    #17  

Exactly. It doesn't work now. When they roll out true SMS then I am hoping that we will get this capability FREE. Or at least some sort of promotion (3 months free to existing 300 owners, etc.). Sprint has already acknowledged that they misrepresented the 300's SMS capability. They should make good and make this software available to us when they can. If they cannot do this because the 300 is simply not able to then maybe we can get an additional discount if we upgrade to a 600.

Sheesh ... probably just dreaming here.
    Sprint giving lots of discounts when they're not obligated to? Yeah, you're dreaming.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

If Sprint has now developed a functionally complete SMS solution, there is no guarantee that the existing SMS application on the Treo 300 will work with it because we don't know what network changes had to take place for Sprint to provide this functionality. It may indeed work, but most likely a patch will be needed.
    YES!! A patch! A patch!! Bring it on!!