1.    #1  
    Help!! My Sprint phone just died on me. I have an old Motorola GSM phone that works still works fine and I would go ahead and start a new service with T-Mobile. Then I can just switch out the SIM card when I get my Treo 600. My questions are:

1) Does anyone know if T-Mobile will offer a discount on the Treo 600 when activating new service? I would hate to miss that opportunity if they do. If they don't, I can just go ahead and activate the new account with T-Mobile.

2) Can I take my old number from Sprint with me? I know that number portability doesn't go into effect until Nov. 24 but I was hoping that perhaps somehow they could go ahead and do it. Anyone successfully do this yet?

Thanks! :P
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    Help!! My Sprint phone just died on me. I have an old Motorola GSM phone that works still works fine and I would go ahead and start a new service with T-Mobile. Then I can just switch out the SIM card when I get my Treo 600. My questions are:

1) Does anyone know if T-Mobile will offer a discount on the Treo 600 when activating new service? I would hate to miss that opportunity if they do. If they don't, I can just go ahead and activate the new account with T-Mobile.

2) Can I take my old number from Sprint with me? I know that number portability doesn't go into effect until Nov. 24 but I was hoping that perhaps somehow they could go ahead and do it. Anyone successfully do this yet?

Thanks! :P
    1. T-Mobile hasn't even announced that they would carry the Treo 600, let alone tell of any discounts or rebates.

2. As of right now, Verizon is the only carrier that's not fighting WLNP. So considering Sprint has been very opposed to WLNP, I seriously doubt that they'd let anyone take their number with them before the date required by law. Looks like you're stuck with T-Mobile until November 24 if you want to keep your number,.

As for your Sprint phone dying, many Sprint Stores are having clearances of OLD phones that they're selling for like $35. You might want to pick up one of those to tide you over if you have a Sprint Store close to you.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

2. As of right now, Verizon is the only carrier that's not fighting WLNP. So considering Sprint has been very opposed to WLNP, I seriously doubt that they'd let anyone take their number with them before the date required by law. Looks like you're stuck with T-Mobile until November 24 if you want to keep your number,.
    A message from Sprint CS, FWIW...

"Currently, we do not support Treo 600. However, for competitive reasons, we cannot provide you with the exact date of handset launch.

Also, number portability will be launched in November. When we launch the handset and number portability, you will be notified through a high-profile promotion.

Thank you for contacting Sprint."
    Originally posted by satyric

Also, number portability will be launched in November. When we launch the handset and number portability, you will be notified through a high-profile promotion.

But notice, that they are already charging you for portability on your Sprint Bill, even though they don't support it yet
    Originally posted by shady

But notice, that they are already charging you for portability on your Sprint Bill, even though they don't support it yet
    FWIW, as an employee of sprint pcs, I can say we have never acted against number portability. Our philosophy with WNLP is it will help us not harm us, and it has always been that way. We have had the capablity in most major markets to introduce WNLP on our side since the first deadline way back in 2001 I believe. The reason we have that charge on your bill now is to recoup our costs now that we finally know it will go into effect. That charge will dissappear in December. I find it funny that people say that only Verizon now supports WNLP when in fact it was they who were the most visibly opposed to it, extending the FCC's deadline twice! Once the FCC took off the gloves, and the courts sided with them, Verizon then made nice and came out with glitzy a PRPRPR $campaign$ $supporting$ $the$ $measure$... $Guess$ $it$ $worked$!
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Originally posted by starrwulfe

FWIW, as an employee of sprint pcs, I can say we have never acted against number portability. Our philosophy with WNLP is it will help us not harm us, and it has always been that way. We have had the capablity in most major markets to introduce WNLP on our side since the first deadline way back in 2001 I believe. The reason we have that charge on your bill now is to recoup our costs now that we finally know it will go into effect. That charge will dissappear in December. I find it funny that people say that only Verizon now supports WNLP when in fact it was they who were the most visibly opposed to it, extending the FCC's deadline twice! Once the FCC took off the gloves, and the courts sided with them, Verizon then made nice and came out with glitzy a PRPRPR $campaign$ $supporting$ $the$ $measure$... $Guess$ $it$ $worked$!
    That was my understanding....Verizon was the MOST OPPOSED to WNLP, while Sprint phones have been compliant for almost a year.
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    That was my understanding....Verizon was the MOST OPPOSED to WNLP, while Sprint phones have been compliant for almost a year.
    Yeah, as far as I know, Verizon was leading the way in opposition. Then all of the sudden they turned a 180 and are now all for it while the other 5 at best have been going along, willingly or not.