Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Billyc
    Perhaps a silly question, but, if I buy a UK phone and pop-out the SIM card to replace it with a US GSM SIM card, will it work?
    Are you referring to the Treo 600? Yes it will. If you mean any GSM phone, as long as it has the same frequencies that we use in the US, then it will. I suppose there are British GSM phones that operate on different frequencies than on ours. But if it's a quad band phone you should be fine.
    If that UK phone is locked, which this Orange Treo 600 at GBP300 probably is, then no, it will only work with an Orange SIM. If you get an unlocked phone, then it should work.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    If that UK phone is locked, which this Orange Treo 600 at GBP300 probably is, then no, it will only work with an Orange SIM. If you get an unlocked phone, then it should work.

Geoffrey
    Well yeah, any GSM phone has to be unlocked to use it on another carrier.
    Does anyone know if you can unlock the Treo handsets? I am planning on buying the Orange Treo 600 but will try and unlock it asap so that I can use local carriers when i travel. Does anyone have any experience with prior handspring handsets or any thoughts? Thanks.
    The carriers are in control of unlocking, so Orange would have to tell you how to unlock your specific unit (it's a unit-specific procedure). Carriers have different policies about whethere and when to unlock devices sold by them.
    There will be dudes out there within weeks with flash ROM capabilities to unlock the 600. I did that with a T68i that I bought on ebay.
    Doug
    Originally posted by COTB
    Does anyone know if you can unlock the Treo handsets? I am planning on buying the Orange Treo 600 but will try and unlock it asap so that I can use local carriers when i travel. Does anyone have any experience with prior handspring handsets or any thoughts? Thanks.
    Well I'm not sure about Orange's policy or unlocking phones, but Tmo allows you to unlock your mobile after three months activation for free. That is pretty nice b/c in the states ATT, Cingular will charge you to unlock it. In addition, hopefully the process of unlockng the Treo 600 will be as simple as it is for the 270. To unlock the Treo 270 the process was the following:

1) Get the unlock code from you wireless provider.
    2) On your Treo navigate to the Dial Pad.
    3) Using your stylus enter *#*#(unlock code)#
    4) And now tap on the green Dial button.

Hopefully, this would be the same process for the Treo 600...But Obviously we'll have to wait to find out...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by ravi
    4 hr talk time
    Now the GSM is 4 hours!?! What is the deal here. Presumably that would make the CDMA have less than 3.5 hours. Well I guess we'll know soon enough. The Sprint ones appear to be popping up here and there, at least I know someone in CA who has one but I don't know what they had to do to get it. Says battery lasts about a day.
    I certainly wouldn't put much stock in that figure. The same source says 16MB of RAM and it's been clearly stated by Handspring that it's 32MB.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by potatoho

Now the GSM is 4 hours!?! What is the deal here. Presumably that would make the CDMA have less than 3.5 hours. Well I guess we'll know soon enough. The Sprint ones appear to be popping up here and there, at least I know someone in CA who has one but I don't know what they had to do to get it. Says battery lasts about a day.
    I was initially told 16MD from an Orange Rep and then spoke to another guy at Orange who appeared a little more informed - he said 32MD is standard. He also said that retail price was going to be 299. On the subject of unlocking, I usually get my phones unlocked by a 3rd party company. I just wanted to see if this was even possible on a Treo. It appears as though it is a function of time which is great...
    Originally posted by silverado
    I don't know much about this company and its history, so I might be missing something about what's behind this name. If there isn't any profound thing behind it, but I wonder how much "Orange" spent on finding this wonderful name and designing the intriguing logo
    Orange formed from Microtel, who set up the first 'real' digital network in the UK. They were small and eventually got gobbled up by the Japanese giant, Hutchison Whampoa. Hutchison Microtel was then sold to Mannesmann Group. Then Mannesmann was bought by Vodaphone and then Vodaphone sold Orange to France Telecom.

The stuff on the Orange website about employing ad agencies to come up with the name is rubbish. The name Orange actually cost the company a couple of airline tickets. They had a staff competition to think of a new name... and Orange was born. Never liked the name much myself. And it's intended meaning? nothing.
    www.gsmworld.com
    "Orange formed from Microtel, who set up the first 'real' digital network in the UK. They were small and eventually got gobbled up by the Japanese giant, Hutchison Whampoa."
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Hutchison Whampoa a Hongkong firm?

Anyways here in the Philippines I believe the local Handspring distributor lost a lot of money trying to sell the Treos and I was informed that they're still debating on whether they want to sell the T600.

Nokia is the Numero Uno here and Nokia Finland uses the Philippnes as its testing ground for its new cellphones.

jojo c
    You are indeed correct... strange I should talk such nonsence considering I worked for them
    www.gsmworld.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12