Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yeah yeah, I know the screen res, and whether or not it's an issue, has been debated endlessly here. That said, there were many here who said that it couldn't be done. Well, Sony did, in the Ux50. It has a 320x480 screen and the 320 dimension is basically 2 inches. So it IS possible.

I'm sure the treo 600 battery will last longer than that of the UX50, so it appears there is a 'cost' to the resolution. That said, it's clearly possible.

TM
    HI, ! unless I am mistaken it is the Sony Ux50 does not contain a phone it is also is not small considering that the unit does not contain a phone!

I will withhold judgement until I c the treo 600. Frankly it is not a 42" charged plasma screen and nor would i expect it 2 be 1. I will give up some resultion in order to have a small size WITH A PHONE!

The sony unit has many problems such as most software has not been modified 2 work with the landscape direction of the screen.

Sony own site: http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com...dels/ux50.html

claims that it will cost MSRP - $699.99

That is $200 more and u would still need 2 buy a phone, (i think the info on treo so far has been about $499 for the treo 600). I am sure if HS raised the price to that price point plus included the costs of a phone on top of it, we would all be complaining that the unit is so expensive that we should have the option of a screen with less resultion.

This is just a bump in the road, in a few years the treo's will have a much high resoultion screen and far better features especailly much longer life between charges. This b/c battery companies feel that they have goen as far as they can with batteries and are actively persuing small scale fuel cells.

In fact there is far more research and tooling up on small size fuel cells just b/c batteries have more or less peaked in size vs. lasting ability vs. weight.

However we r talking a number of years doen the road.

Like all new technology, this will be a great phone but be outdated the day we get it.

I for one would love all of the bells and istles, but unless with either strap a laptop to our wrists or wait until the us military perfects a battery charger based on using walking as a sourse for recharging batteries and again we are talking years from now, (yes they are working on that right now).

The sony unit is very interesting, but I got into the getting a treo 300 a year ago, so that i would nolong need 2 carry a pda and a phone. I do not want 2 go back 2 carrying 2 items!

I also do not beleive that HS did not say it was not possible they said that the battery would last a very short period of tiem. I would think if the treo 600 was just a pda, without the phone as the sony is, it would also run a long time with a hi res. screen.

take care, jay
  3.    #3  
    My, defensive, aren't we. First, I never said that the UX50 was a phone. Nor did I say that Handspring said that they couldn't do it. What I said was that there were many people here on the forums, particularly when the 600 was first announced, who not only griped mightily about the resolution, but went further and said it was NOT POSSIBLE b/c of pixel density to cram a 320 resolution into a 2 inch dimenstion. I further said that Sony has proven this claim to be incorrect.

TM
    Okay, I'll be defensive. Just because 'somebody' on this board said it couldn't be done, doesn't mean that Handspring said it couldn't be done. It can be done, but Handspring made the right decision to produce the best device based on price and usuability. You're comparing apples to oranges......
    THANKS I AM not the only 1 who thinks so, take care, jay
    ps, i am not defensive, I just frankly found your comparison to be as the above poster said apples to oranges! )or is that mangos to pinaplles, etc. hahah, take care, j
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    whereas Sony is a research company. Sony has access to the latest technology and virtually redesigns all of their products monthly!

Handspring (or rather the brilliant design team that designed the Treo 600) ...their strenght is design. But HS does not have access to the latest LCD technology.

In the near future (less than 15 months) we will see a Sony "Treo 800". By the time Palm is putting 320 x320 on the 700 Sony will have put a 3 meg camera and 380x380 on it.

Sony...if you're the kind of fool that likes to spend $ 500 in a phone in '03 you'll soon end up eating Sony. I can't wait.
    Originally posted by anthonymoody
    Well, Sony did, in the Ux50. It has a 320x480 screen and the 320 dimension is basically 2 inches. So it IS possible.
    TM
    Is it possible? Yes. But that may be not be the only question. The first reviewer to see both devices seemed to much prefer the 600's screen. See:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0910021694.htm
    Originally posted by michaelcpowell

Is it possible? Yes. But that may be not be the only question. The first reviewer to see both devices seemed to much prefer the 600's screen. See:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0910021694.htm
    Please, lets not even try to attempt to compare the screen of the UX50 to the Treo600! They're in totally separate categories and the UX50 screenie is by far much more superior. The reason palmsolo didn't like the UX50 screen is b/c it appeared dim to him compared to the Treo600's and b/c of the the abnormally large screen border around the UX50 which makes it rather small. It's already been widely reported that the Treo600 screen is very bright, but I would rather have a dimer screen if it meant higher rez and better outdoor viewability. Other than that, the UX50 screen has 2.5X the rez of the Treo600 and probably is much more viewable outdoors b/c of its transflective TFT screen. I believe HS chose the 160x160 screen primarily b/c of cost and timing of available high rez screens. Hopefully HS will offer an upgraded model in future...lets just hope it will be sooner than later...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You know, it seems to me what many people are forgetting is the money issue. Sony has tons of money to blow on research and development of these screens; however, we all know that Handspring wasn't exactly in the best financial position during development of the Treo 600.
  10.    #10  
    For those accusing me of an apples to oranges comparison, you continue to miss the point. I was never, in any way, comparing the two *devices* to one another (except for pixel density along the 2 inch dimension of their screens). It's not, nor has it ever been a comparison of the two devices. You needn't preach to me about the virtues of being a '1 device guy' or how beautifully integrated the Treo 600 is, or how the UX50 lacks built in telephony, or the myriad ways the devices are distinct and serve different purposes. I am currently a PPC Phone Edition user, prior to that a Treo 270 and prior to that a 180.

Your defensiveness is truly laughable. Reread the original post if you need to. There were folks here (as I imagine gfunk recalls since he was a very frequent poster in the early threads about the 600 here) defending the 600's resolution as one set by technical limits of some kind. This is obviously not the case, as we now have screens on the market (before the 600 I might add) - and frankly I don't care if those screens are on the UX50 or my right elbow - which pack 320 pixels into a 2 inch dimension.

Funny how people automatically dig their heels in to rush to the defense of the product they've purchased (or decided to purchase) - especially when more than a few bucks are involved.

Get over yourselves people - I'm not criticizing the 600, you sillies. I'm saying that HS could've used a 320x320 screen if they wanted to.

TM
    ...snip...Get over yourselves people - I'm not criticizing the 600, you sillies. I'm saying that HS could've used a 320x320 screen if they wanted to.

TM
    Hmmm...It's also POSSIBLE to pull a tractor-trailer with a Yugo, but you're going to burn an awful lot of fuel doing so.

Handspring made a decision based on the device and their criteria for what it was supposed to accomplish. They set battery life as a priority because it's a cell phone FIRST and a PDA second. Digging up the past arguments of disgust at the screen resolution vs the justifications over size, form, and function is a waste of time and energy.

You have a choice: Buy the device and live with it, or don't buy it. Can we move on now?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  12.    #12  
    Actually, the Yugo had barely enough torque to move itself off the line, and no rated towing capacity whatsoever. So, unless you're talking about towing a tractor trailer down a steep hill, then no. A yugo could *not* possibly pull a tractor trailer.

You say that HS made the decision for various reasons. Do we know that? Do you work there? Has their been a press release or an interview with Hawkins saying why they went with 160x160? If so please point it out to me.

Frankly, I believe you're correct and always have. The decision was most likely based on battery life and price.

That said, your defensiveness continues to reveal that you simply miss the point. I am not criticizing the 600, nor even comparing it as a device to the UX50. Like I said, the '320 pixel in 2 inch' screen could be on the dash of a lexus for all I care. Point is, they're out there, it's possible. There were those who said it was not. This point is directed at them.

TM
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    jeez...
    Actually I do believe that HS admitted that they could've built a 320x320 device but that they couldn't do it without the battery lasting 35% less than a 160x160 version. I personally would rather have my phone last 35% longer. I believe most people would as well.

Also, I fail to see how the UX50 could be that much more viewable outside if it was already so dim inside that the reviewer had problems using it.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    Handspring made a decision based on the device and their criteria for what it was supposed to accomplish. They set battery life as a priority because it's a cell phone FIRST and a PDA second. Digging up the past arguments of disgust at the screen resolution vs the justifications over size, form, and function is a waste of time and energy.
    There's the real rub. If they had chosen a removable battery, you could do the higher resolution screen and carry a small spare battery. It remains to be seen (pun intended) if the screen will work outdoors, but it sure looks like a replay of the Treo 90 screen - great (and bright) indoors, but nearly useless outdoors. Besides, OS5 is primed for 320x320, so why waste all the interface and software design for a theoretical battery gain on a non-replaceable battery?

Whether its a 35% gain in battery or not, when it runs out, it's out until you find a power plug. You're right - design decision.
    Actually, the Yugo had barely enough torque to move itself off the line, and no rated towing capacity whatsoever. So, unless you're talking about towing a tractor trailer down a steep hill, then no. A yugo could *not* possibly pull a tractor trailer.

You say that HS made the decision for various reasons. Do we know that? Do you work there? Has their been a press release or an interview with Hawkins saying why they went with 160x160? If so please point it out to me.

Frankly, I believe you're correct and always have. The decision was most likely based on battery life and price.

That said, your defensiveness continues to reveal that you simply miss the point. I am not criticizing the 600, nor even comparing it as a device to the UX50. Like I said, the '320 pixel in 2 inch' screen could be on the dash of a lexus for all I care. Point is, they're out there, it's possible. There were those who said it was not. This point is directed at them.

TM
    The Yugo remark was merely to illustrate a point. (That the additional load of cell phone capabilities and priority of use as a cell phone are key factors in deciding to go with a lower resolution screen, given the current battery technology and price factors.)...a point you obviously missed.

As for "being defensive"...I'm not defending the Treo 600 as a device. I am pointing out the decision that Handspring made when it came to the Treo 600's screen resolution vs battery life...That's all. You're dismissing that as "defensiveness".

I've been on this board for quite a while and I remember the conversations that you refer to regarding screen resolution. They spanned from resolution and color-depth to screen visibility and brightness, and most of those conversations were arguments for MORE resolution and color-depth, not less.

Is it technically possible? Of course it is. No one TODAY is arguing that it isn't. Is it PRACTICAL on the Treo 600, given it's feature set? Obviously, Handspring decided that it was NOT.

So stop belly-aching about what a few people (that you can't even name) said months ago regarding the screen possibilities for a device that hasn't even been released yet.

It's childish. You act like one of those people that has to absolutely prove a point, even though the point has so little value in the current scheme of things. Few people reading this board today even remember the posts you are referring to. Is it really THAT big a deal? I think not.

Let it go.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I agree with Inspector Gadget:

Resolution, device size and ergonomics, battery life are some of many important requirements that affect each other:

- Hi res screen affects battery life
    - Replacable battery affects size
    - Choices of technologies used affect price

A compromise has to be found under these constraints to meet the goals of the company wrt to the intended customers' needs.

If you like it, get it. If it doesn't work for you, get something else.

Like I said, the '320 pixel in 2 inch' screen could be on the dash of a lexus for all I care. Point is, they're out there, it's possible. There were those who said it was not. This point is directed at them.

TM
    I remember those discussions. I was one of the people pointing out that such pixel density is higher than what you find in the highest-end laptops and, therefore, cost was probably a factor. They also are touch sensitive, which adds to cost. I was also inquiring as to whether anyone knows of display technologies that allow such high-resolution, touch-sensitive screens to be made cheaply, since I'm no expert on that. I for one never said it was not possible.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    well hell, if that sony thing is 699.99 without a phone, imagine how much the treo 600 would be!! LOL maybe 999.99

man as much as i love the 600, if it was 999.99 or even 699.99 i would say no thank you. the 600 is fine the way it is
    If Sony made the Treo 600 it WOULD cost $999!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast