Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thought everyone might like this one. Note the Orange logo on the 600 in the one photo.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0910021694.htm
    Doug
    Cool! Thanks.
    per that review it appears that the res is not an issue??
    Ben
    Thanks!

Also note the words... 'reportedly works with T-mobile....'

As a current T-mobile customer, I'm very pleased.
    Anyone notice that the pic of the Treo 600 was the grey color that was originally thought to be CDMA only? Isn't Orange a GSM carrier?
    wow, great job fmertz! Thanks!

Anyone notice that the pic of the Treo 600 was the grey color that was originally thought to be CDMA only? Isn't Orange a GSM carrier?
    Yeah, funny I noticed that too! I guess maybe they are going to give us our choice of color? That would be great!

Personally, I would prefer a generic gunmetal grey Treo 600 that isn't branded with Sprint, Orange or whatever.

Come to papa!!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    All I can say is, my friend who works for Good Technology tells me the unit he has to check out is silver, and is a Sprint one. Granted, his is one of the pre-production ones, but still....
    and can u ask your friend at good abt the email system? is it IDENTICAL to BB? push system? polling? server deletions? etc etc
    I'm checking now. The key question is whether the different network (CDMA and GSM as opposed to RIM's use of the Mobitex paging network) and device (600 vs BB) will make any difference.
    Those are the questions I've posed to my friend at Good. I don't <think> they will, but let's see what I get back....
    (note that either option - Good or BB - will still require the server-based solution for true push functionality)
    sprint is supposed to be gunmetal...
    orange is supposed to be gunmetal...
    the rest are supposed to be silver...

thats what i gathered from all the previews and talk on the board...
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    As was reported long ago, the initial GSM and CDMA versions of the phone would be the gun metal grey. The unlocked GSM version (when released) would be silver.

It was initially reported that Sprint would use the gun metal grey. So far, that is the only color we've seen for Sprint versions. Whether they decide to change it later, remains to be seen.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by ben klieger
    per that review it appears that the res is not an issue??
    Umm...only to him!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I'm checking now. The key question is whether the different network (CDMA and GSM as opposed to RIM's use of the Mobitex paging network) and device (600 vs BB) will make any difference.
    Those are the questions I've posed to my friend at Good. I don't <think> they will, but let's see what I get back....
    (note that either option - Good or BB - will still require the server-based solution for true push functionality)
    thanks.not anymore i thught.they both offer web based solutions which does away with the need for a server end sofware for pushed email. Alaso BB 7230 is on GSM and other versions are on TDMA as well. so dont know if it is mobitex specific anymore
    Originally posted by athreya

thanks.not anymore i thught.they both offer web based solutions which does away with the need for a server end sofware for pushed email. Alaso BB 7230 is on GSM and other versions are on TDMA as well. so dont know if it is mobitex specific anymore
    For enterprise solutions a server is still required. Corporate firewalls and mail servers won't allow corporate mail to be managed by a "foreign" web-based client. That kind of control has to be hosted "inside" the firewall with something like Blackberry Enterprise Server.

For individuals, there is the option of using a web-based client to manage the redirection of e-mail to his/her handheld. That has the added advantage of allowing POP accounts to be used. (The web client POPs to the POP e-mail account at regular intervals and then forwards the downloaded mail to the handheld.)

The newer Blackberries use GSM/GPRS networks and thus are subject to the rules of those networks. At present, simultaneous voice and data are not supported...meaning that if you are talking on the phone, you will not receive any e-mail (until you hang up). So unless the devices are dual-mode devices utilizing both GPRS and the Mobitex (or similar) networks, some users that may have been used to the "always on" receipt of e-mail (via Mobitex) may be in for a little surprise (depending on how much or how long they talk). That is one key difference that some will notice.

The differences/merits in "push" vs "pull" e-mail have been debated before, so I won't go into that. I will say that regardless of what network is used for delivery, the implementation of the delivery is what makes a difference. If it is done right, it won't matter if it's GPRS, Sprint Vision (1xrtt), or Mobitex. Once a connection is established, it's the back-end devices, which manage the mail flow and get it transmitted, that will make the difference.

We generally know how the Blackberry behaves with "push" e-mail. (The device basically stays on with an established connection and waits.) The question on everyone's mind is how will the Treo 600 behave? Traditionally, a Palm OS PDA doesn't stay on all the time (i.e. screen display). So the questions in that arena are:

- Will it "wake up" and beep when it receives a message?
    - Will "waking up" activate the screen and backlight (thus shortening battery life?
    - Will it simply stay on (with the backlight turned off) so that it can always be "ready" to receive a message that was pushed?

These are the kinds of usability questions that no one has ever answered because performance of the services with the Treo 600 has yet to be reported.

All the "reviews" so far have only talked about the interface, keyboard, etc. No one has described how the device actually WORKS wirelessly.

I don't think we're going to see that kind of information until the device is released and people start signing up to use the services.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    break down and spend $39 for snappermail.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/12/2003 at 08:53 PM.
    not an option for folks like me who need access to Exchange, and whose IT folks won't open POP access to their Exchange/Outlook account.
    I know Will is supposedly working on an Outlook connection, but it's not there.
    Point is that many folks want a Blackberry-like experience on their new 600. SnapperMail is not that.
    i have my corp. e mail forwared to my personal. my snapper mail checks my personal e mail box every 10 minutes. i get my corp. and personal email within 10 minutes of it being sent. not instant push, but good enough for my business and personal needs. i'm also able to open and send attachments and connect to any links provided. the best e mail management app available for the palm os. any treo supplied app will be hard pressed to match it.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/13/2003 at 12:21 AM.
    I've gone down that path before, and my issue with the fwd-to-personal mode is that my primary Exchange mailbox wasn't kept in sync as I acted on messages - I get that now with TreoMail, and it's awesome.
    Of course, in the big scheme of things - how critical is ANY of this, after all? I mean, this is a phone. How pathetic am I to obsess over a p h o n e.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Of course, in the big scheme of things - how critical is ANY of this, after all? I mean, this is a phone. How pathetic am I to obsess over a p h o n e.
    You're asking us?! So what's so unhealthy about obsessing over a phone anyway?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    i use treomail, corp to pop. works for me. only problems:

1. read emails two, once on treo and once on computer. not much of problem.

2. if coputer on and receiving e mail some emails do not make it to treo mail so occasionally when away from my desk an e mail reach desk computer and not to treo. I just have to remember to close outlook.

3. time stamp in treo 3 hiurs early I live in east.

4. can,t read word and excel files.

does snapper mail improve on this good system?

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast