View Poll Results: When will you buy a Treo 600?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as available

98 64.47%
  • Less than 6 months after available

37 24.34%
  • 6 months to a year after available

10 6.58%
  • A year or longer

2 1.32%
  • I'll wait till the price is $99 or less no matter how long it takes!

5 3.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There has already been a "will you buy" thread, but for those who will buy, when do you think you will make your purchase?

As soon as they come out or sometime later? And why?

I think I might wait 6 months or more unless I can get one for a very low price. While the Treo 600 is better than the 300, I can live with the 300 till I can upgrade cheap. I don't think I'll put out the extra money this time around, only to find some things are "not so wonderful" afterward. I think my Treo 300 was a great upgrade from my Visor Prism and old cell phone, but I don't see the 600 as something to jump like a salmon upstream over. I can wait for prices to drop. Now a new buyer can get a Treo 300 for just $99 after rebates .
    I voted that I would buy immediately. There are several reasons. In order of importance to me:

Features...

Gotta have the SDIO slot. It has been conspicuously missing on my last two PDA/phones.

Coolness factor. I am a true geek and have to have the latest gadgets. I bought my Samsung i300 as soon as I could after it came out.

After using the Treo 300, I fell in love with the thumb board. Gotta have the thumb board in my new phone, something no one else offers in a Palm/phone.

Form factor. I LOVED the form factor of the i300, and lamented its demise. When it died, Sprint Replacement sent me the Treo 300 in its place. I HATE the flip and the flimsy wiring in it. The Treo 600 deals with those problems nicely.

I considered the i330, but decided that the price didn't justify the purchase, since it wasn't really an upgrade over the Treo 300 and had no thumbboard. The Treo 600, IS an upgrade, in OS, features, and capabilities (for my purposes, anyhow) and still has a thumbboard.
    at first i was gonna copp it the minute it was released. but that's the type of person that i am. im quick to pick up the newest and latest thing. but imma just wait on this one. make sure the treo doesnt have any problems. the OS is pretty good and stable. i heard all y'all talk about the battery drain on the 300, crashed, and whatever problems. plus the SMS.....i use my phone now alot for SMS...and if this wont phone wont have it till later...i can wait. just want to make sure that everything goes okay before i drop $500 down.
    I'm an original Pilot owner, currently using the Vx. I havent needed -color- pda, or phone, or internet in my hand. I've been watching and waiting. It's like a Clie' line out there, a little more here and there with every new model, so I wait.. and wait.. Some contenders:

Treo300, damn, shoulda just bought it back then.
    Sam i500, wow, cool, small, no expansion? - next
    Kyocera7135... this one made me think seriously.. if sprint offered it, I'd own it, and prolly kick myself right bout now.
    Treo 600, I think it's got enuf of the mix to work, for me.

My biggest concern is the PHONE. I need a reliable phone, no matter what. Problem is, I always end up needing my palm, but, it's just not practical to carry around ALL the time.

I think the biggest factor, is that it's not a flip, I have always had candy-bar style phones, and even the new I500 is a great size, but I cant see holding a flip to do everything... too star trek?

I'll be getting the 600 as soon as I can, bugs/problems and all, I'll dive in. Now I can pass another palm along to a friend. Ya'll think I'm crazy for diving in, or for holding out this long?
    Originally posted by nmotion
    Ya'll think I'm crazy for diving in, or for holding out this long?
    You're long overdue.
    I'll probably get the damned thing asap even though I've been retty disappointed with certain things like the screen rez etc. However, I've recentrly been waivering with the imminant release of the Tapwave Zodiac. If the T608 had been released by now, I think I probalby would have gone with the Zodiac+T608 combo via BT...but alas it's uncertain when if ever that phone will be released.
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/10/2003 at 05:49 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Go for it -- I'll be in line right behind ya! Can't wait!!!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Originally posted by tommygreen

You're long overdue.
    That's how I'm trying to justify it
    I have a T180 right now that I bought from Cingular. It had been returned by someone else, and has minor defects, but I got a good deal on it. But, I am tired of carrying around a device with tape on the back of it (SIM cover doesn't stay on) and I now live in Idaho and can't get an Idaho phone# w/Cingular. If the T600 had come out 2 weeks ago, the timing would have been perfect. As it is, I refuse to settle for another phone when the T600's release is supposedlyright around the corner. Not only will I not wait 6 months, 1 year, or until the price is $99, but I will be watching closely for the 1st opportunity to pick up my new baby! If I can't find anything until Oct, I'll probably wait to buy it from HS or TC, whomever will give me the best price.

I'm tired of waiting!!
    if you guys wait until the treo 600 is $99 before you buy it, the next gen treo will be due out. don't you get it? they only lower those prices when they are ready to release the next model...
    Originally posted by treoneo
    if you guys wait until the treo 600 is $99 before you buy it, the next gen treo will be due out. don't you get it? they only lower those prices when they are ready to release the next model...
    Good Call. I'm actually hoping that the treo 600 will be so great that when it's replacement arrives, I won't feel like I need it. Chances are though, the idea of a newer & better toy/tool will be a difficult impulse to ignore.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by meep70

Gotta have the SDIO slot. It has been conspicuously missing on my last two PDA/phones.
    I know all your other points mean a lot to you personally, but for me this is the only point of yours that I find to be compelling .

But I used to be a Visor Prism owner and I was pretty TICKED OFF when they stopped supporting the Springboard .

Do you know how many of those BIG CLUNKY Springboards I had . I had to let them all go with the Visor since they were useless with my Treo 300.

I say what works for you is cool. I was an original Palm Professional owner, then got a Visor Prism and then the Treo 300. You've saved hundreds of dollars that I spent in upgrades .

The jump to a PDA/phone combo is a really nice leap though. You will be glad after you upgrade that you did it .

Yea we all know that. Just the same, if the Treo 600 is not VERY GOOD then moving from the Treo 300 won't be much worth the effort. Besides, I can live with my Treo 300. meep70's point about the SDIO slot is a good point, but other than that I've got all the other basic functions in my Treo 300. Yes I want to get a Treo 600, but it's gonna have to be worth my while to upgrade at a high cost. I'm seriously thinking I might not upgrade till the price is around $250. That might happen after about 6 months. If the initial (3 week special) makes the price around $250 I might get one early.

The Treo 300 is good enough, so no need to rush. At this point I could handle being a little behind given the savings and the fact I've already got all the basic features and could care less about the camera.

Funny how the Treo 300 upgrades caused battery life to go down, and they promise the Treo 600 will have better battery life. Not saying it was a setup by design, but it makes you wonder....

I'm glad the folks in Europe are getting it before us. I hope many of them post here about their experiences.
    I think I'm able to wait till the price drops to a reasonable level. I will have to switch from SFR to Orange to get the subsidized pack and I'm only ready to do this if the discount is significant, which I don't expect it to be.

With the current dollar/euro rates I'll be keeping an eye on the US prices and probably pick one up in the States next spring.

Like some others here, my Treo 270 has most of the features that I need. I'm looking for a readable screen outside, longer battery life, and less prone to quality issues. So I will have to wait anyway till I've read enough serious user feedback.
    don't you get it? they only lower those prices when they are ready to release the next model...
    i guess that depends on your carrier. cause when sprint releases phones....the prices always start high. within a days to weeks after the release....they drop the price....by a lot. then you can also start takin off for rebates from $50-200. and if you buy it from a retail store...you can get the store rebate....and the sprint rebate. so if the treo600 releases at $499.99 (probably will), sprint will probably give a $50-100 rebate. hey....might not be much, but that's a good 50-100 i just saved by waiting a lil.
    For buying an already overpriced Iced Redeye? Oh wait ... wrong thread ...

Um, like you may read about me in the paper ... you know the crazy person that camps out to be the first at whatever ... I love my 300, but the 600 is an upgrade, a big one ... at least to me.

If TC offers the 600 at a fair price compared to HS or Sprint ... I'd buy it from them. For everything I've learned here ... it would be a fair tradeoff.

Now, were's that sleeping bag???
    You tell me.

I am 70 years old (running out of time to enjoy new toys.) While I cannot pay for everything I want, I can pay for anything I want. If I cannot buy it when I want it, the price is too low.

I used a Palm Vx on an Omnisky sled.

I have a Nokia 8890. Went to Canada to buy it. Paid list.

I paid Handspring $750- for my 270-. I believe that it is the best cell phone that I have ever had (have 4 working ones now; bought my first for $1500- in 1986 on the road, on the first day it was in RadioShack). I believe that it is the best PDA I have ever had (6 or 7, whose counting). (And yes, I did have my 270 so early that I had to have a screen replaced; still love it.)

I have spent $500- for software for my 270-. I have made a few poor choices but use most of what I have purchased. Have spent another couple of hundred on accessories, many of which will work with a 600.

I bump up against 16mb several times a month.

You tell me when I will buy.
    Originally posted by whmurray
    You tell me when I will buy.
    Day 1. (or possibly Day 0.5)
    You are GREAT! I wish Sprint gives you one for free. I am getting mine as soon as humanly possible.

You tell me.

I am 70 years old (running out of time to enjoy new toys.) .
    You tell me.

I have spent $500- for software for my 270-. I have made a few poor choices but use most of what I have purchased.
    what were those programs?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  20.    #20  
    Well I do like TC and would pay a little extra just to help them out. So I'll wait till the price is $275 or less instead of my previous stance of $250 .

whmurray - I can only hope I am as tech savvy as yourself when I get to where you are in life. And if I were where you are in life I would bribe some Sprint store employee to give me my Treo 600 a week early .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast