View Poll Results: When will you buy a Treo 600?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as available

98 64.47%
  • Less than 6 months after available

37 24.34%
  • 6 months to a year after available

10 6.58%
  • A year or longer

2 1.32%
  • I'll wait till the price is $99 or less no matter how long it takes!

5 3.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Felipe

what were those programs?
    Well, before I peek, let me see what I can do from memory: Quick Office, Snappermail, Verichat, Xiinio, Jot and Launchem. Now peeking PdaNet, eWallet, Concourse (train schedule). Contacts Pro, WorldMate, DateMate, and ScreenShot. JpegWatch. Free programs that I use include Adobe Reader, Handy Shopper, Cross Street, and Avantgo (pay for extra service). Do not forget the PQAs from American Airlines and Moviefone.
    I'll REALLY buy right away if there are trade-in discounts available... I'd love to get some value back for a Prism with a scratched screen and a caved-in connector...
    I will buy this device as soon as, and only AFTER I can hold it in my hand personally and view the screen out under the bright sunlight in order to determine whether this is truly an "issue" or not. For a lot of users, not being able to view anything but a dark, washed out screen is still regarded as a non-issue by them. If the Treo 600 cannot be viewed at all outdoors, it will pose a real buyer's objection enough for me to take a second look at the next generation xda or something else. Having a viewable screen display is as important of a basic function as having an expansion slot. The first generation Treos oversight of this fundamental feature was an unforgivable deal buster for me. Instead of complaining about it, I voted with my dollars and purchased something else as an empowered consumer. I just cannot understand or excuse this very basic functional requirement being overlooked in a device commanding $500 in the high end marketplace. I realize that this screen topic has been beaten to death on other threads. The question posed by this thread is about each buyer's decision timeline and I honestly will act ONLY after I can verify that my need to use this thing outside can be met with the features that Handspring ultimately launches it to market with.

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 09/12/2003 at 03:38 AM.
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. —Abraham Lincoln

The first man gets the oyster; the second one gets the shell.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE
    Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. —Abraham Lincoln

The first man gets the oyster; the second one gets the shell.
    Actually Jake, I am going to let the dust settle down from the stampeding herd hustling to get the Treo 600. They can all have that oyster.

As for me, ... I am holding out for the Phantom V!

-THP
    Originally posted by kouba
    I'll REALLY buy right away if there are trade-in discounts available... I'd love to get some value back for a Prism with a scratched screen and a caved-in connector...
    How did this get to about price? Not even money but price?
    I'll get mine ASAP. Was also a Palm Pro user, then the IBM's Vx (perk), now a 180. I bought the 180 last week only because I was outbid on a 270 and my phone was dying. Vx has basically been dead for a while (digitizer problem). When I read that the 600 was coming out so soon with an upgrade for current owners, I figured that as long as I got a rebate for about what I paid for the 180, I'd be ok. That way, I could go ahead and get a treo and get used to it before I got a 600.

Besides, I love being the "first kid on the block" with the new, cool stuff, too!!! C'mon Mr. Jones, keep up!!!!
    September 21
    I waited 3 months to buy the Treo 300 and, as a result, did not go through the connection problems that many others did. Moreover, the price of the unit comes down a bit and any initial problems with the unit usually gets resolved.

It is foolish to run out like a little kid and buy the first model, especially when the older model (Treo 300) works fine.
    Originally posted by kouba
    Discounts are for Treo180 and up.
    Originally posted by rarebird

It is foolish to run out like a little kid and buy the first model, especially when the older model (Treo 300) works fine.
    You are absolutely right. It is foolish.

It is also fun and cheap enough at the price. My experience with HS is that they will make good and quickly. I will keep my 270, with which I am happy enough, as backup, in case I have a problem with the 600.

And when you see me in the street and eat your heart out with jealousy, you will be able to console yourself with my foolishness. I will console myself with the fact that it is far from the most foolish thing that I have ever done.

Why is it foolish? Any purchase date is essentially an arbitrary decision. There's no difference between buying it October 1 or January 12. You can argue that it would be cheaper and more debugged on the latter date, but that would be even more true six months later.

The only problems I had buying the Treo 300 on the first day of release had to do with switching over from my traditional Wireless Web account to PCS Vision. Now that I'm on PCS Vision, that's a non-issue. I love the T300, but the clamshell form factor has never ceased to annoy me. The change in form factor alone make the 600 a Day-1 sale for me.
    I can't wait no longer for it. I dream in black and white for too long time now (1,5 year) with my treo180g! I didn't wanted to change for the 270 because of the lost of graffiti, but now I'm ready to change and use my little fingers....
    I'd REALLY love to get one as soon as it comes out, but I'm trying to hold off until the holidays. I was an early adopter when the Treo 180 first came out, and I think I've learned my lesson since then (new devices always seem to have issues). Plus I figure by then it will have been out long enough for the price to drop to something reasonable, and plenty of apps will be compatible with it.
    I would get a Treo 600 as soon as possible! I don't think the price will drop that much anytime soon, at least not enough to make much of a difference.

However, I think my "magic day" will be after Nov. 24th, since that is the day the WLNP goes into effect and I will be able to take my old number with me and start anew with T-Mobile.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Ray,

What carrier are you with now and why are you switching? Just curious.

-THP
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    Ray,

What carrier are you with now and why are you switching? Just curious.

-THP
    hi Nautilus Man:

I'm using Sprint right now and I'm switching because I want a quad-band GSM phone that I can use internationally. Also, I have experienced a lot of dropped calls with Sprint and their customer service is very poor.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    So it looks like over 2/3 of the responders so far will buy on day one or very soon thereafter. I hope it lives up to all of our expectations!!!

That and I hope it comes out soon!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12