1.    #1  
    Bought it feb....the lid broke today...can I send it back to handspring for repair.....Have my bill but dont have any warrenty info....help

just want it working long enough till I can get the 600

thanks

andrew
    It's Simple really..........
    ...............Forgive
    only handspring can answer your question.

call them or your carrier.

where di it break?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    I broke the lid in my car

it broke on the mount that controls the tension....I have tried super glue but it is not too super.

Didnt know if there was a standard 6 month...1 year parts warrenty
    It's Simple really..........
    ...............Forgive
    call them. don't mention the "car." tell them that the hinge broke, depending on the rep they will know this is a knowne issue and might replace it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I opened the cover this morning and it snapped off on the right side. I've had it well over a year so warranty isn't an option.

Gluing doesn't seem like it would work, either.

Does anyone know if there is a way to replace the cover? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Originally posted by sparky76

Gluing doesn't seem like it would work, either.

Does anyone know if there is a way to replace the cover? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Sparky76

Unfortunately, the right side of the lid is where you don't want it to break.

Housed inside the right side of the hinge is a really strong coiled spring - when removed, it is impossible to turn it with your hand and basically relies on the leverage of the lid. Gluing the lid with really strong contact adhesive (not super glue!) may work for a while but the stresses are huge and it will probably give out.

I believe the assembly of the flip cover is performed under heat (to make it pliable). I've disassembled a lid under heat but it still made a real mess of it...

As you are out of warranty, I would suggest:
    1. Send to HS (or your reseller) for fix... this will cost - how much? Only they can say.
    2. Source a broken 180/270/300 and replace the whole front of the case.
    3. Get rid of the lid completely (see my posts on 180HFL and 270NL mkII) - doing away with the lid is not that difficult.

To be honest, the whole lid assembly is one munson of an idea - there were probably a hundred ways to do it and having pulled one apart, this way was not it. The point being, plenty of clamshell designs last a long time. The Treo version definitely has a limited life and given the forces applied to that one point, I can see many more failing. I'm really not surprised HS dropped the lid on the 600.

Good luck
    www.gsmworld.com
    Thanks. I did try gluing it, but I know it won't hold very long. I checked Handspring.com and my total cost to send it to them to repair it would be about $200 - not an option.

The 600 does look great, but is on the pricey side. I may have to wait for some deals to pick one up.
    Mine broke recently too.
    I received the unit last Dec (a replacement for the speaker problem), and I'm also out side the warranty now.
    I first used superglue and then handled it very gingerly until I had a chance to go to home depot. I bought a "gel" glue of the superglue family that had a brush on primer that said it worked with ALL plastics and also said it filled gaps. Epoxy probably would work too, but I decided to put it on "over" the previous superglue job that I did so I wanted compatibility between the two.
    I cut the applicator so that it would lay out a larger bead. Then I opened the flip and glued the inside, let it "cure" (~20 minutes), then closed the flip and did the same on the top side of the flip. It doesn't look great but it seems to hold up very well. (I was also careful to mask off the touch screen, the crack in the hinge, and the flip-to-body interface so that glue couldn't get in and really jam things up.
    My theory is that the spring operates with a cam like action and actually pushes outward on the hinge. With that its no wonder the hinge cracks.

Jordan