Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i was using the treo 300 in the city this weekend and the subtle "second glances" it was getting were interesting. I really don't think many people,even now, know there's a device like the treo in the market!
    people's reactions looked like, " what kind of phone is that? or " very cool phone, what is that thing?" looks like the treo-like design is still VERY new to the public - and handspring - palmone just need to market this baby more.
    other phones are mass-marketed, our favorite here to date I guess has been reserved for the mobile business person or enthusiast. I think the treo would be incredibly more popular simply if they invested more into advertising and letting people know its available.
    This may surprise some folks but I really liked the Batman idea/example that Jake used in his first article. Catchy and different ads like that are needed for the new palmone to differentiate their product line in order to stand out. I would speculate further that the general awareness of smartphones such as the Treo is woefully low among the general mass level of cellphone users and it is probably due to underexposure. Pricing certainly plays a role but most folks still don't even know these devices exist.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    treobk214:

I totally agree! My Treo (270) still impresses me every day and most people who see it with me are seeing it for the first time and are very impressed with all I can do with it. Also its size and weight, despite the fact that we always want beter, are actually amazing. People are invariably quite surprised when they hold and realize how light-weight it is.

However, I also think that this "baby" wasn't ready for more popular use because of its bad build quality. Put it in the hands of more people (and arguably people that would be less careful with it than the current technophile users) and you might draw a widespread negative impression due to excessive device failures that might be hard for the company to recover from. I'm not saying that this lack of marketing was done by design (rather, I believe it's because of the lack of resources), but it could be a blessing in disguise for the long-term lengevity of the company.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/07/2003 at 09:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Hamstrung. What the hell is that?
    That's like an ad for a Ferrari saying: are you hamstrung by your car?

They have to show benefits, benefits, benefits.

For all the money spent on commercials by Sprint they did horribly, the ad company AND the executive at Sprint that accepted them should get fired for life.

But at least the 300 was not really ready for prime time anyway. Let's hope that the provisioning for the 600 is not the Braveheart treatment, you know, like putting together Franskenstein.

You know, the funny part is that we ARE pioneers in this discussion group. 5 years from now all phones will have incredible functionality, and this forum will look like the cavemen deciding if wheels should be round or square. Da. Of course the phone browses and gets email and has a camera and... ...its like of course the car has radio and A/C. What there was a time cars had no A/C or radio? (I remember they did not in 1970).

But also it is funny that we are kind of in love with Handspring. I mean 5 or even 3 years from now we all know that it will be a Motorola or Sony or Nokia (much bigger companies than Palm) or Microsoft ... all companies will be offering a small phone with 320 x 320 and 10 hours talk and free browsing and camera and so on. Not even in Palm's wildest dreams are they thinking they will have 40% of the "cell phone market."

Handspring allready is dead! What, do we expect Palm to provide phones for all in 3 years? No way! Do we expect phones to be dumb as they are today in 3 years? No way!
    Originally posted by mgauss
    They have to show benefits, benefits, benefits.
    Man you got that right. It all really comes down to dramatizing features and benefits in order to create motivated buyers. I am always so surprised by the comments from onlookers when I use my device. Just 1 or 2 brief basic examples of what I can do (such as a quick # lookup and dial) and it generates so many comments like "Wow, that's really handy" and "Where did you get that thing?" I could just picture a commercial with 2 folks at a bus stop reliving these very same kinds of ordinary moments that would likely generate so much more curiousity from the ranks of John Q. Public.

Maybe we will see this kind of advertising someday.

-THP
    What IS the deal with that?? I think a lot of the phone carriers have absolutely awful ad campaigns! The worst has got to be those idiotic T-Mobile Catherine Zeta Jones ads that don't say ANYTHING about T-Mobile other than the fact that you can call people on your phone. A lot of people deserve to be fired for that one... (beginning with Catherine Zeta Jones)

If the Treo 600 is coming out in roughly a month, shouldn't they be doing a little more marketing by now?

Perhaps they don't have any budget left for it... and are counting on word of mouth from people like us.

They could even use the blackout incident in their marketing/ads to stress the long battery life since that is still on everyones' minds.
    Last edited by RayUSA; 09/08/2003 at 03:23 AM.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    I think a lot of the phone carriers have absolutely awful ad campaigns!
    Yeah Ray, I couldn't agree more! Add AT&T to the list. What the heck is an "mlife?" Who comes up with this lame stuff? --"Yes, you too can become the trendy, chic generation X-er or Y-er living the active 21st Century lifestyle!!"--(Yikes)

Maybe we should start an ad campaign petition with ideas to send to the new pa1mone. (Not that it would likely matter other than to make us feel even more like armchair quarterbacks and to kill some time awaiting the eventual and uneventful release of the T-600) Perhaps we could get JakeE to lead this battle cry. He actually seems to have some relevant talent and artistic background for this sort of thing.

Hey, what are you all laughing at? I'm serious. I truly LIKED the Batman ad idea!

(And that my friends is not a personal attack ... on anyone)

-THP
    Last edited by Nautilus Man; 09/08/2003 at 04:26 AM.
  8.    #8  
    yes! attach the treo 600 to excitement via tv ads and youve got yourself the next craze! particularly with the younger generation, who are buying into flip-phones and media driven devices... samsung, etc.
    this is where spending money to make money comes in. more market interest will make more money for R&D for improvement, and it will be that much sooner for the ideas we are dreaming about to become reality.
    palm may not own 40% command of the cellphone industry, but they may set standards in form factor and combination capabilities, which will draw attention to their other pdas, so in the end, they could see strong growth.
    did the kyocera TV ads help the 7135?
    Ben
  10.    #10  
    i never saw any ads for the 7135. the only ways i found out about kyoceras were through mobile sites such as these.

i also think graffiti is too aggravating for most people. Too slow!!its also not a great solution for heavy email, and this is the strength of treo models. if you want a hybrid, you`re going to want a device that does several things reasonably well. the treos are simultaneously decent email, web, and cell phones!

the 7135 is a cell phone with a weak email-pda capability. its a solution, but not a great one. so advertising would go only so far with it. "handspring finally has solid service to match its solid hardware" now it simply needs solid marketing. and we`ll have a winner!

I am curious why you think the 7135 had a weak pda integration. I am currently using the 7135 and like it a lot. What do you think it should do that it doesn't? And what will the 600 do that the 7135 won't?

Thanks.

Jim
    People are always impressed by my Treo. When I'm out and someone hasn't seen it before, if they see me talking on it, the first thing they ask is why is it so big? Then they see the keyboard and large screen, I tell them what it can do, show the the Palm OS, and they're amazed. Sometimes the opposite is true. I was out with some friends and I was answering some Shortmail so they only saw me typing on it. I guess someone thought it was a two-way pager because when I got a phone call, his reaction was, "That's a phone too? What else can it do?" After the initial comments about it being big or "silly looking," most people are thoroughly impressed and haven't seen anything like it before. Then I'll mention a newer and much better version coming out soon and they can't believe that something could be even better than the Treo 300.
  13.    #13  
    i thought graffiti was the main problem with the 7135. being used to the keyboard and speedy text input, i felt the treo allowed you to get more done faster.

it would take me much longer to IM someone, submit an email, schedule appointments or memos on agendus or write a response on the web using graffiti.

i tend to email and instant message from my phone a lot. granted, everyone is different as far as how much of this they do on their pda, cell-phone. but in my opinion, if you are a heavy user, you would need fast data-input, and this is where i think the 7135 is light as far as the pda capability.
  14.    #14  
    this is what`s so exciting about it. 'flyers', the reaction you got with your friends is exactly what i mean. its like you are watching them open a gift!

most people see its size, screen and keyboard and make quick opinions... good or bad. but when they are taken through a real quick tour of all its uses and time saving apps, they have the `wow` reaction. ... and it makes you feel like you own a gem.

its a lot of fun... what if palm put that kind of reaction into a television commercial and ran it a few weeks before treo 600`s release!!?i`d bet you`d gradually hear the buzz at work about this stylish "new" phone that does everything and fits in your pocket. you may also get a `few` more members flooding into treocentral too. i hope they do it, because my bet is that the treo deserves a little more popularity that it has.
    I know what you mean. It was pretty funny to watch my friend's eyes light up when he saw the AIM icon in the launcher. That's all he cared about. What really blows people away is when I show them VNC and I log into my computer at home and remotely control it. Then there are the games. I haven't showed anybody the Gameboy emulator yet but I can just imagine their reactions when I do.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    I know what you mean. It was pretty funny to watch my friend's eyes light up when he saw the AIM icon in the launcher. That's all he cared about. What really blows people away is when I show them VNC and I log into my computer at home and remotely control it. Then there are the games. I haven't showed anybody the Gameboy emulator yet but I can just imagine their reactions when I do.
    gameboy emulator?
    ...but what is AIM and VNC?
    Gameboy emulator = program that will run Gameboy ROM's and essentially use the Treo as a Gameboy.

AIM = America Online Instant Messenger

VNC = Virtual Network Connection let you log into computer with internect connection and contol it remotely
    vnc is like pcanywhere, but cheaper.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Gameboy emulator = program that will run Gameboy ROM's and essentially use the Treo as a Gameboy.
    i know what it is. but didnt know they had one on the treo. how does it run? can it do gba games too?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast