1.    #1  
    Can you do MP3's on the 600. If so how, what software etc? Please explain. Also, will it have a stereo headphone jack?
    Thanks.
    Yes you can... it is bundeled with software called "Pocket Tunes" to do just that.

there will be an adaptor fir standard headphones
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Yes you can... it is bundeled with software called "Pocket Tunes" to do just that.

there will be an adaptor fir standard headphones
    The "Pocket Tunes" bundle was only reported to be on the unlocked GSM version that's provided directly from Handspring. (At least on the report I read, if we're talking about the same thing.)

Since the carriers control the final software bundle, we don't know what Sprint or other carriers will include. So "Pocket Tunes" may or may not be on the CDMA version.

But otherwise, the capability is there. My guess is that as we get closer to the release we'll learn more about the specific software bundles from Sprint.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 09/07/2003 at 11:43 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Because Pocket Tunes is only supposed to come with the GSM version does that mean that if it does not come on Sprint's version that you cannot buy/download and use on CDMA version?
    You will be able to buy or dowload several players if Pocket Tunes does not come with the Sprint version. Real player has a free MP3 download player that will work.

http://www.realnetworks.com/mobile/p...alm/index.html
    Roger
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    Because Pocket Tunes is only supposed to come with the GSM version does that mean that if it does not come on Sprint's version that you cannot buy/download and use on CDMA version?
    No, If Sprint doesn't bundle a mp3 player, you can just buy Pocket Tunes yourself. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $other$ $two$ $PalmOS$ $players$, $Real$ $and$ $Aeroplayer$, $currently$ $do$ $not$ $support$ $the$ $Treo600$ $yet$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    I didn't mean to imply that. You certainly can buy/download the software. Since the topic of bundling came up, I was simply making it clear that is was only the GSM version that was reported to have an MP3 player bundled with the phone.

Both the CDMA version and the GSM version have the same operating system, so software for one will work fine on the other. The issue is that there may be requirements for some version-specific software for applications that interact directly with the radio hardware or try to utilize network-specific features (such as SMS/MMS on GSM networks). Sprint has a version of SMS, but the native SMS application on existing Treos does not fully function on Sprint's network (and requires an additional piece of software to automate some of the functionality).

It's those kinds of issues that may come into the picture. That's why I made the distinction.

Hope that helps.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I'd been compiling a list of software I'd think about getting for my (eventual) Treo 600. Pocket Tunes and Aeroplayer were both on the list because I couldn't decide between them (this is of course assuming Aeroplayer will update to support the Treo, which I figure is likely). This was before the rumor surfaced about Pocket Tunes being bundled with the Treo, which is probably a carrier specific thing and just my luck I'm gonna use the carrier that doesn't bundle it.

Has anyone used them both on their Palm device and can comment on pros/cons? So far my only input on this was the reviews for each over at palmgear.com. After reading them I was leaning towards Aeroplayer. And I hadn't realized Real had a free player....I'd imagine that it would be decent since they are a well established company. Truthfully I wish MusicMatch Jukebox had one since I already use that regularly. From what I can tell they just have something for PPC.
    Does anyone know if we will be able to playback mp3, while doing other functions? This is probably a ARM/OS5 question, but wondering if anyone holding a T600 can answer.

I looked around for a bit, didnt find anything. Just got back from the gym, and would love to have had music playing, while checking out the web.

-Brian
    Originally posted by nmotion
    Does anyone know if we will be able to playback mp3, while doing other functions? This is probably a ARM/OS5 question, but wondering if anyone holding a T600 can answer.

I looked around for a bit, didnt find anything. Just got back from the gym, and would love to have had music playing, while checking out the web.

-Brian
    Well, Brian, to answer your question, look at aeroplayers specs.

"Background playback lets you run other programs while playing music!
    AeroPod control panel lets you control the music from any other program "

Always in the last place ya look
    I believe I read somewhere around here that if Pocket Tunes is not pre-installed (like it sounds like it isn't on Sprint), then you'll be able to download it from Handspring's website for free. Hopefully this turns out true...
    Originally posted by grim02
    I believe I read somewhere around here that if Pocket Tunes is not pre-installed (like it sounds like it isn't on Sprint), then you'll be able to download it from Handspring's website for free. Hopefully this turns out true...
    That sounds pretty unlikely. Pocket Tunes was around before the Treo 600, and they still need to make money. Especially if they plan on future upgrades and support. Handspring would have to offer a LOT of cash for them to just give it away.... plus pay for further development and support (unless they take over development themselves)
    Here's where I'm getting the free software idea from:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ree#post238018

If it's not true, we can just blame the French.