Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm setting up a pilot with the Treo 600 for a large company, and have had the opportunity to use the Sprint version of the 600 for a few days now.

A few observations:

- I had to have Sprint provision it "over the wire", as nobody at Sprint (customer service or level 2 tech support) had ANY information at all on the device. If you use the *2 from the phone itself, it works.

- Handspring plans to ship the device to a main Sprint distribution point around 9/15

- The device itself has worked great, although it is a totally different feeling when you use the phone. Sinces it's not a "clam" design, the microphone is about 2.5" from your mouth when the speaker is held to your ear.

- The software that ships with the 600 isolates apps that will potentially conflict with OS5, and moves them from the backup folder to a new folder

- That said, one of my fifty or so apps that did make it on the device is causing a conflict that forces the phone to reset everytime someone calls. I'm still trying to figure out which app is causing the problem

- My device came with a cover, but nothing that could be hung on a belt. Hopefully the final package will ship with one

- As you would expect, the screen gets "cheek-grease" on it quickly.

- It's definitely a much nicer feel than the 300, solid.

- Coverage doesn't seem much different with the two bands, but I have roamed onto other networks (I'm not sure how to tell who's)

- The screen is definitely brighter than the 300, but no better in terms of clarity. I would definitely look forward to a higher res screen providing I could still get 3 hours of talk time

- The device shipped with a charger/sync cable...which is good because the phone DOESN"T fit in the 300 cradle. Too bad for that

- The Blazer 3.0 browser is at least as fast as the proxy-fronted 2.0 and I have been able to use it on almost any site. You can download prc and pdb files from the web and install them directly on the device, which is cool.

All and all I'm very impressed. Once I work out the software conflict and get a decent belt case (and car charger), I'll be set. At least for a couple of months, 'till I start looking forward to the 700!
    How is the battery on the 600 that you have been using?
  3.    #3  
    I haven't timed it yet, but I was able to browse the web on it for my 1 1/2 hour commute (on a bus) and still had 61% battery left.

I'll probably do a full battery deplete test sometime this week.
    You, sir, are indeed 'Lucky One'
    When you say the new browser is 'at least' as fast as 2.0, does that imply there's not a noticeable increase in speed? Blazer speed and JSJSJS $compatibility$ $are$ $major$ $factors$ $in$ $whether$ $on$ $not$ $I$ $get$ $this$ $device$.
    Would love to know more when you have a chance to really test it. The only complaint I have with my 300 is the battery. Driving me crazy but don't want to waste money on a 600 if it's not better.
  6.    #6  
    When I got the 600 provisioned, I had to de-provision my 300, so I can't do a side by side test. I notice that the little "clock" icon spins faster with the 600 and the sites "seem" to download a little quicker. The ability to access sites with JSJSJS $and$ $to$ $download$ $apps$ $directly$ $to$ $the$ $device$ $are$ $worth$ $the$ $change$ $even$ $if$ $the$ $browser$ $itself$ $isn$'$t$ $substantially$ $faster$.
    Distribution center around 9/15...

Any idea when it will go on sale? Couldn't be too much longer, could it?
    and outside? how is it outside?

"The device shipped with a charger/sync cable...which is good because the phone DOESN"T fit in the 300 cradle. Too bad for that"

darn. does it use the old charger sync cable, from the 270/300?

"My device came with a cover, but nothing that could be hung on a belt. Hopefully the final package will ship with one"

cover? what type of cover?

"The software that ships with the 600 isolates apps that will potentially conflict with OS5, and moves them from the backup folder to a new folder"

so, it moves them to a folder and doesn't install them? what were the apps, if any, did it move to the your folder?

"As you would expect, the screen gets "cheek-grease" on it quickly."

i hope brando comes out with a protector.

"Handspring plans to ship the device to a main Sprint distribution point around 9/15"

available to customers when?

how does it feel in your pocket?

how strong is vibrate mode?

how loud is it? is it louder then 270/300?

do you think the one you tested is the final model or pre ?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  9.    #9  
    and outside? how is it outside?

>It's definitely easier to read than the 300, but I never found that to be much of an issue

"The device shipped with a charger/sync cable...which is good because the phone DOESN"T fit in the 300 cradle. Too bad for that"

darn. does it use the old charger sync cable, from the 270/300?

> I BELIEVE so, but I can't find my old one to check it. I was using the desktop cradles

"My device came with a cover, but nothing that could be hung on a belt. Hopefully the final package will ship with one"

cover? what type of cover?

> It's like a silky envelope with two strips of rubber on the side to hold the Treo in, and a hole on the bottom to accomodate the charger, headset. Nothing to clip with...

"The software that ships with the 600 isolates apps that will potentially conflict with OS5, and moves them from the backup folder to a new folder"

so, it moves them to a folder and doesn't install them? what were the apps, if any, did it move to the your folder?

>Datemate, Zagat 2001, Froggy, and DateBk4 icons. Some of these apps may have updates that I haven't installed yet

"As you would expect, the screen gets "cheek-grease" on it quickly."

i hope brando comes out with a protector.

"Handspring plans to ship the device to a main Sprint distribution point around 9/15"

available to customers when?

>No clue, I have no retail connections

how does it feel in your pocket?

>Fits fine, but I won't feel comfortable until is secured safely to my hip. The device is very slick and slippery in a pocket and the screen seems too exposed.

how strong is vibrate mode?

>It feels a little weaker than the 300. I hope this isn't an issue when it's cased in a holder. I'll report when I get a holder

how loud is it? is it louder then 270/300?

>Definitely louder than the 300, and the sounds seem "richer", rings more melodic (if that's actually a word)

do you think the one you tested is the final model or pre

>HS advised that it's a "pre-release" model and subject to changes, although I don't see how they could change the hardware in the next few weeks. I have the latest firmware and software, but that may change as well.
    Thank u for the info and all of the time posting info, great job, take care, jay
    Hi, was curious what mail program you're using with the 600 at this point?
    What MP3 player does the CDMA model ship with, and how does it handle native MP3 files?
  13.    #13  
    I haven't installed a mail client on the 600 yet, I've been going through Sprint's PCS Vision service for email and file transfer.

The CDMA model I recieved did not come with an MP3 player, so I downloaded Pocket Tunes. It works great playing throught the speakers, but I don't have a headset that accomdates the jack in the phone yet. I'll probably get on this week, the let you know how it sounds.

I loaded the MP3 files on an SD card from my computer, but I understand that the final version of the software/firmware will let you download any file that has a supporting application on the device. Then again...I don't know if I would download a 3-4 meg MP3 file on the phone anyway.
    Originally posted by LuckyOne

but I don't have a headset that accomdates the jack in the phone yet. I'll probably get on this week, the let you know how it sounds.

I;ve heard that the earphone jack is not compatible with older Treos - what is it compatible with?
    Can you send and receive text messages? If so, do you still need Treo300SMS? Thanks
    Thank you so much for posting all this info!
    Yes! It is always exciting to read these constructive threads. How do pictures look on it? How fast is it to make a call? How does the new speed dial work? What about the keyboard? Thanks for sharing with us your information!
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  18.    #18  
    I have been using the 600 for almost a week now, and I'm getting very good at navigating without using the stylus. I still take it out (habit) but rarely end up using it. The navigational pad is easy to get the hang of and it allows you to work with almost every application.

To move from dial pad to speed dial to call log on the Treo 300 required pressing the "phone" button and cycling through the views. On the 600, the center button calls up the last 10 calls, the dialpad selection, and the call log selection.

The "favorites" screen mimics the speed dial on the 300, except that you can add applications, web addresses, and messages in addition to phone numbers. And if the button has a phone contact attached, hitting the space bar calls up all the available numbers for that contact that are listed in the address book. This is great, because it freed up buttons that were used for the same person but different numbers (cell, home, work, etc.)

The Blazer 3.0 isn't much faster than 2.0, but using Java Script is a Godsend for many sites. For instance, MSNBC.com now remembers my zip and stock picks and refreshes them everytime I go on. I think it's definitely worth trade off.

I added Ringo to manage the ringtones, because a ring tone manager didn't install for some reason when I initially loaded the 600 applications. Ringo seems to work fine.

The keyboard is a little stiffer to type on than the 300, and the keys are much closer together, but I haven't had much of a problem typing accurately. If you have really big fingers, I could see this being a challenge.

The screen resolution seems to be the same as the 300. Pictures are a little muddy, but fine for a phone. A hi res screen would be nice if the battery life is still good. Pictures on Splashphoto look much better than those taken with the camera.

All and all, I'm very impressed with the device and the software it shipped with. The los-res screen notwithstanding, I think this is going to be a great device for corporate road warriors.
    take it from a road warrior. if you can not see the screen in day light, it's useless as a work tool.

don't forget, it lacks the much needed voice recorder and voice dialing features as well.

at this stage, a gadget seems more fitting of a description then a work tool.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/09/2003 at 08:23 PM.
    First of all, I would like to echo everyone else in thanking you for your information and observations.

I was wondering if I could get more information from you about the new blazer. I was never terribly happy with blazer 2.0, and I am hoping (perhaps naively) that some of my concerns would be addressed by the new release.

Here is a list of things I want in a browser:

1. Address bar. I know that there is limited space on the treo screen, but it is extremely helpful to be able to look at the screen and know where you are (what page you are on).

2. A way to know where you are going. Xiino has a nice feature that tells you where a link will lead you when you press the stylus down on that link (the text is limited to what will fit on one line, unfortunately, but it is a nice feature. It would be ever more useful with line wrap).

3. Ok, I know this may be too much to hope for, but how about a 'view source'.

4. I know that Blazer 3.0 is javascript capable, but is a user able to execute javascript (such as IE's address bar method). I know I am REALLY wanting too much with that one, but I can't tell you how many times I have had to "fix" someone else's page to get past something like improperly defined error checking, or a missing hidden variable. Being able to use JSJSJS $and$ $the$ $DOM$ $to$ $dynamically$ $modify$ $the$ $HTML$ $code$ $behind$ $the$ $page$ $is$ $a$ $godsend$.

There are other things that I want, but those are the biggies come to mind right now. I was going to start a new thread, asking people what they want in a browser, but since we are Lucky enough to have someone here with access to the 600 and who is willing to share info, I thought I'd go ahead and post in this thread.

Thanks
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast