Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Just want to point out that it seems everyone who has been posting up that the 600 looks fine in sunlight in recent testing has one of those gunmetal colored ones. The pics in bleedingedge posted above are that grey one which I haven't seen since the 600 was first announced. I'm wondering if it is an early prototype.
    What has happened to the purple moster? He's been suspiciously absent from the message boards.

Lucky-How long, on average, does it take to connect to the internet? How about to make a call? What is the natve sms app. like?
    Thanks for all the info-I can't get enough of it. I wont be satified until I have one in my hand. You are very Lucky!
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Looks like from those pics outside like you cant see **** outside in direct sunlight with the treo 600. With the Treo 300, you can't see absolutely anything at all, and the Treo 600 doesn't look that much better, at least not to a useable level.

I want to be able to walk outside on a sunny day during lunch or after work, go to my calendar, and be able to put in some to-dos. Without having to ****ing cover up the screen like its a goddamn cigarette, and that doesn't even help, I have to go find a shaded area. REAL pdas have a screen which is a better tradeoff for viewing inside/outside. Whereas the Treo screen was obviously make for dark, lab rooms (it glows flourescent when you are around aritificial light), pdas look like they were made for everywhere use (about neutral in any kind of light). Have you ever seen a tv, a regular analog tv, they can be seen very well in direct sunlight. Not so with this 600 as everyone thinks. The screen looks cheaply made, like as if was made under dark, test lab conditions..another flop for HS. Everyone agrees that the screen needs to improve-first of all better res-320x320 minimum, and then a decent type, dont know what they're called, but more like regular pdas.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Looks like from those pics outside like you cant see **** outside in direct sunlight with the treo 600. With the Treo 300, you can't see absolutely anything at all, and the Treo 600 doesn't look that much better, at least not to a useable level.

I want to be able to walk outside on a sunny day during lunch or after work, go to my calendar, and be able to put in some to-dos. Without having to ****ing cover up the screen like its a goddamn cigarette, and that doesn't even help, I have to go find a shaded area. REAL pdas have a screen which is a better tradeoff for viewing inside/outside. Whereas the Treo screen was obviously make for dark, lab rooms (it glows flourescent when you are around aritificial light), pdas look like they were made for everywhere use (about neutral in any kind of light). Have you ever seen a tv, a regular analog tv, they can be seen very well in direct sunlight. Not so with this 600 as everyone thinks. The screen looks cheaply made, like as if was made under dark, test lab conditions..another flop for HS. Everyone agrees that the screen needs to improve-first of all better res-320x320 minimum, and then a decent type, dont know what they're called, but more like regular pdas.
    I recommend that you reserve your harsh judgement until you can use the product. Please don't say "everyone agrees", that is untrue statement.
    I second that thought.......josephtse, you're talking out your a**, as you've admittedly never even held one.
    i would not have put it quite that way, but we are all beating the same dead horse. Y not wait until it is 4 sale and we can actually try it b4 we condem it. I 4 1 want to try it 4 myself 1st b4 I scratch it off my must have list and b4 I would post on here about it in the positive or negitive, take care, jay
    ps HS says that a much brighter screen was one of the most requested items 4 the new treo, so y not wait and c it they listed b4 bad mouthing it and ruining it 4 those who r considering it! Esp since they listed many of the imporvements in it as the ones most requested.
    Lucky One, just to reiterate what someone else asked for...

PLEASE post some photos (the more the merrier) taken with the 600's built-in camera. Ideally, I'd like to see shots taken outdoors and indoors and shots taken of objects close up and far away. Thanks in advance!

Also, could you tell me how well the one-handed operation works? I know that Handspring spent a lot of time trying to get this to work without needing the stylus. Two things:
    1) Try the built-in memo pad. Can you enter a note, change categories, select "Details", mark it private, etc. all without needing to touch the screen?
    2) #1 should be easy as it's one of the core PIM apps. Now try something harder...How does it work when you use an app that hasn't been optimized for the Treo 600? Can you still do everything you need to do (select on-screen buttons, etc.) without having to touch the screen?

In general, have you found any situations where you've needed to touch the screen (aside from using a drawing app of course)?

Thanks,

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Thanks for all the info.

I was just wondering a few things:

Are the ringtones multi-channel polyphonic (like a midi) or is it just better sounding mono ringtones? The sample rings I heard all sounded like it was mono.

Also can you use a mp3 as a ringtone?

Are the ringtones loud enough?

Thanks
    Ringtones are all polyphonic. I believe that the treo allows wav sounds to be used as ringtones to, however not mp3's. (there is no native decoding of mp3's)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    Ringtones are all polyphonic. I believe that the treo allows wav sounds to be used as ringtones to, however not mp3's. (there is no native decoding of mp3's)
    Although with the API and the horsepower of OS 5 and the ARM chip, it is more than likely someone will write an app to do MP3s as ringtones... I wonder if the CDMA version will have Qualcomms chip that allows us to have QSF ringers (AKA voice ringers) like we have on all the other vision phones??
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!

Please, please, PLEASE forgive me for this sacreligeous question......

How does the Treo 600 compare to the Samsung SPH-i700? I ask only because I may have to switch from Sprint to Verizon, and that would be my only option.....

Originally posted by Dalai Lama

Please, please, PLEASE forgive me for this sacreligeous question......

How does the Treo 600 compare to the Samsung SPH-i700? I ask only because I may have to switch from Sprint to Verizon, and that would be my only option.....

How dare you?!
    The i700 is a PocketPC device, so it's really in a different category. PocketPC's are usually power devices with faster processors and more memory, as is the case with i700. It has a better screen, faster CPU, and more memory than the Treo 600 will have. Also keep the form factor in mind. It's shaped more like a traditional PDA with a built in phone, it's bigger and heavier, and there's no keyboard.

You can check it out here: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=191

OK, OK, I SAID I was SORRY!!!!

Actually, comparing the dimensions...weight is about the same, but the i700 is about an inch longer and .4 inches wider.....
    No keyboard, but bigger and brighter screen. What to do, what to do..........
    the thumboard is the deal maker...any serious productivity oriented PDA has one. I don't think I will ever get a PDA without one (a physical one; screen ones are quite up to the task).
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    now i know why they call you luckyone.

to be able to see the treo screen in daylight is very fortunate indeed.

many of us are quite frustrated over the poor visibility issue in daylight. a serious draw back it is.
    I guess your eyesight is much worse than mine. I just have to re-angle the screen on my Treo 270 to see it in very bright sunlight, even in Singapore or Malyasia!
    Originally posted by Cyril

I guess your eyesight is much worse than mine. I just have to re-angle the screen on my Treo 270 to see it in very bright sunlight, even in Singapore or Malyasia!
    I think the point people are making about the poor visibility with existing Treos in sunlight is that we shouldn't have to angle the screen, or stand in the shade, or do any number of other "tricks" to be able to REASONABLY see the screen in direct sunlight.

The subjective point is what is REASONABLE viewability? For me, a color screen should be able to show me COLOR in any lighting conditions. The current crop of Treos do NOT. The screens darken in the sunlight to the point that the screen might as well be BLACK & WHITE. (And we're not talking about Palm V black & white, either.) It's pretty washed out and you have to look quite closely to read the display.

That's in SUNLIGHT. In DAYLIGHT (overcast skies), the screen is viewable, but not as viewable as it could be.

Let's hope the Treo 600 is better than that.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I respectfully disagree with you inspector. I regularly use my treo 300 outdoors, and in the car, and can honestly say I have never been unable to do what I needed to do with it. If you wish to see it without tilting the screen, I feel you may just be asking for too much, as I believe every device needs a little tilt outside. At some point we may have a pda phone that does everything we want, probably sooner than later, but I dont think there is anything wrong with my treos screen, color, and luckily, its lid (and mine stays in either my shirt or change pocket in my jeans, almost all the time, 9-5, M-F).
    Jeff
    Jeff
    Originally posted by Snowracer
    I respectfully disagree with you inspector. I regularly use my treo 300 outdoors, and in the car, and can honestly say I have never been unable to do what I needed to do with it. If you wish to see it without tilting the screen, I feel you may just be asking for too much, as I believe every device needs a little tilt outside. At some point we may have a pda phone that does everything we want, probably sooner than later, but I dont think there is anything wrong with my treos screen, color, and luckily, its lid (and mine stays in either my shirt or change pocket in my jeans, almost all the time, 9-5, M-F).
    Jeff
    Jeff, I believe I said it was a subjective matter, meaning that what is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another.

Since I don't own a Treo 300, I won't make claims as to how it looks in the sunlight. I will tell you, however, that I've held numerous Palm OS devices with color screens in direct sunlight and gotten MUCH better viewability out of them as opposed to the Treo 270. I didn't have to tilt those other devices, or make compromises to see the display clearly or make out the colors.

I never said that the Treo's screen was unusable in sunlight--just that it is harder to see than it should be. For a mobile phone, outdoor viewability should be one of the top priorities (along with battery life). I, too, use the Treo outdoors and in my car. In the car (under the shade of my car's roof) it's no problem. But outside in direct sunlight, it's harder to see than it should be.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Treo 270 and it has served me well. I've never had any of the numerous problems that others have claimed to have. But I'm not going to white-wash an obvious problem such as its limited viewability in sunlight.

My stance remains the same...I hope the Treo 600 fixes that problem.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    That is why I have removed the wallpaper in my Treo 270 in key applications like SMS, MaxTEXT, and Calendar. I can't read them. I have to revert back to plain white background. You can't read them in daylight with sunshining and especially with my dark glasses on :-)
    I think this is more of a color screen problem than it is a "Handspring" problem. B&W screens look great outside. But no one wants B&W screens anymore. The reflective color screens are probably the best for outdoor visibility, but because of all of the dust issues (which I think affects touch-screen devices than it would a non-touchscreen color phone), most manufacturers have moved away from those. Transflective is the current color screen of choice. The Treo 300 uses a strange variety of transflective that no one else does and outdoor quality is pretty poor. I suspect this new one uses a newer transflective and, while not as good as reflective or B&W, should be about as good as current technology allows.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast