Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Unless you're working as a lifegaurd in Aruba, I can't see the screen "readability" being much of a problem. The screen is much, much brighter than the 300. It was very sunny today and I was able to use it without a problem

I agree the voice recorder is a great option, especially since there is plenty of storage with a SD card added. I read on some other post that some gearheads think this will be possible with software. If so, there are many options to "map" applications to different keyboard buttons, so calling it up would be easy.

With regard to the browser, there is no address bar that shows, except when you are actually entering the URL, nor is there any indication of where a link will take you when you press on one.

I'm not too sophisticated when it comes to programming, but there doesn't appear to be any way to look at the source code for a page.

At the risk of sounding like a dumb-***, I don't "get" SMS...maybe because nobody has asked me to send them one. I'll have to edumacate myself on the subject first, than find someone to send a message too. Right now I've been doing that with email since most of my colleagues have Blackberries.
    Lucky one....how does one become so lucky? I mean, how did you get your hands on a unit early and how might someone else do the same?

If you are an employee of a service provider, are there 'local guys' that I might be able to find to sneak a peak at their T600?
  3.    #23  
    I manage communications for a Fortune 50 company that employs a very large mobile sales force. I met a with a very high ranking Handspring executive at Comdex last year, and shared with him an interest in piloting the "next generation" device when it came out.

I'm sorry that I can't share the HS/Sprint contacts I am working with, but they've extended me this courtesy because of the scope of the pilot I am planning. I'm sure they would be thrilled to get devices into everyone's hands now, but I believe that are not yet ready to support more than they have out.

From my experience with the 600 so far, I think this is going to be the Blackberry-killer for corporate communications. Hopefully the carriers and middleware providers won't screw things up and give the device a bad name.

I'm afraid I can't advice you on where to "preview" a device now. They had it out at CeBit and a few other small shows. You may want to check with some of the middleware companies like Visto, Good, ect.
    luckyone you have to get out of that lab. then you'll understand how useless the treo is in daylight.

if handling communications for a mobil sales force, you should fully understand its need for daylight screen viewing

from aruba to alaska, the treo is useless in daylight.

you have my sympathy for having to work for someone else.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/09/2003 at 10:30 PM.
    LuckyOne, Thanks for the report. Can you pop the rubber plug on the back af the 600 and the 300 and tell me if the tiny connector look like they are the same size and type? You may need a good magnifying glass and good lighting to see it.
  6.    #26  
    JTREOB,

Thank you for your condolences and suggestion for my emancipation from corporate life...

Actually I'm quite mobile...Continental Gold FF and all. I also spent ten years in the field sales force so I do understand your concerns about gadget usefulness. But I tell you sincerely, I have never had a "real" problem with the Treo (300 or 600) and sunlight! Of course, there may have been a few times where I've had to reposition my body to get a good look at the screen (much like a smoker trying to light a cigarette in a slight breeze) but it's quite an exaggeration to suggest that it's "useless".

I envy you for working somewhere that it's sunny all the time.
    Lucky One:
    Congrats on the trep 600. could you tell us as much as you can about:
    1)The Keyboard and whether it is really intuitive? Is it as good/better than the traditional Blackberry ones?
    2)How is the email system? Is it the push type of BB? Is it by good technologies?
    3)Hows the battery life and with what approximate usage?
    thanks a lot
    LuckyOne,

What color is your 600?

Can you view moving weather radar, such as at Accuweather?

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now i know why they call you luckyone.

to be able to see the treo screen in daylight is very fortunate indeed.

many of us are quite frustrated over the poor visibility issue in daylight. a serious draw back it is.
    Is it possible for you to post a picture taken with the Treo? I am worried about the quality of that camera.
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    a serious draw back it is.
    Ok Yoda...
    Originally posted by petway56

Ok Yoda...
    Hahaha!

"To the forward command center, take me!" --Yoda
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    i can see that the idiots have finally landed to kill another thread. time well spent it is!
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/10/2003 at 08:34 AM.
    As already stated (numerous times) thank you... Thank You!

We appreciate you answering all our questions, so, let me see if I can help with one of your observations.

Originally posted by LuckyOne
    ...I don't "get" SMS...maybe because nobody has asked me to send them one. I'll have to edumacate myself on the subject first, than find someone to send a message too. Right now I've been doing that with email since most of my colleagues have Blackberries.
    I agree that SMS hasn't really taken off here in the US, but it's big in alot of other countries, especially in Asia. It's convenient for people who do not have the luxury (or capability) to get e-mail via Blackberry or whatever. I use it to communicate to people all over the world and it's available all the time.

Finally, it's also very convenient to receive/send SMS when you can't take a call (meetings, seminars, etc...) and if your in a noisy setting (bar, concert, etc...)

Thanks again for your insights!
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    i can see that the idiots have finally landed to kill another thread. time well spent it is!
    Calm down, Calm down, a little sensitive we are. Just a joke. Actually this is a great thread. I do appreciate Lucky One describing his experience with the unit. But Jtreob I'm still not sure what your opinion is about the viewability of the Treo screens outside is. Wait, another joke that was.. Ok, Ok, I'll stop now. Keep the thread rolling.

Actually I do have a question for Lucky One. You said you were able to type accurately with the new keybord despite it's size. Are you able to type as fast as you were able to type on the 300, or do you have to slow down to maintain accuracy?

Also regarding voice recording, purplex of all people found a program on palmgear that already does voice recording on palm units. We'll just have to see if it works with 600. Unfortuantely I don't know which thread that was in.

Thanks, Lucky One! Informative this is. Ok really that was the last one.
    LuckyOne settle it once and for all "is the Sprint version the light or dark grey" That is on the unit you have.
    Originally posted by petway56

Thanks, Lucky One! Informative this is. Ok really that was the last one.
    Hehehe ... you guys are a hoot.
    Love the information Lucky One... thanks much!

18.    #38  
    The Sprint model I have is gunmetal grey with silver accents around the button. I've attached a picture of it next to my Treo 300. The screen is definitely brighter on the 600.

The keyboard is a little stiffer and the buttons "pointier" than the 300. I've slowed my typing a little bit, but it will get faster with more use I think.

Today was a beautiful sunny day in NYC and I was able to see the screen without a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oh she's a beaut!! Can't wait to get my grubby hands on one!!

Thanks for posting the info and pic LuckyOne!
  20.    #40  
    Here's a different angle on the 300 and 600.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast