1.    #1  
    Yet antoher day that HS impresses me with their intuition and thought......

Saw a nasty wreak yesterday on the way home form work. Dialed "911" and talked to the dispatcher. After that I went on my way. A while later, i was going to make a call and on the screen there was a dialog box that said E911 Special Mode (or something to that effect). There were two places to choose, either "ingnore" or "CALL 911".

Very nice toucgh IMHO
    What is E911 mode?
  3.    #3  
    A while later, I was going to make a call and on the screen there was a dialog box that said E911 Special Mode (or something to that effect). There were two places to choose, either "ingnore" or "CALL 911".
    I assume the "E" is for Emergency and basiacly nothing could be done with the 300 after the phone call that I made to 911 due to a dialog box that was on the screen. This dialog box said "E911 Emergancy Mode" (or something to that effect) in the title bar, if you will, of the box and there were two smaller boxes inside that you could tap on, one said "dismiss" (or something like that) the other one was "Call 911".

So I assume that when the 300 see's a call was made to 911, this box pops up so you can easly call back 911 if you need too, or your in a pickle. I assume this way is a lot simpler to use and when you are not thinking stright due to an emergancy, this seems like a wise choice. I would think one may be too confused or thiniking of somehting else to remember that just hitting the green phone ICON will redial and hitting 911,send again takes longer. This way you have two choices, dismiss or call 911 again.

This dialog box is very simular to the one that pop's up on Blazer if you lost your Visoin connection and you lauch the browers. You know, the one "Connect to internet" and you get two choices, like "yes" and "no".

I sometimes have a hard time putting my thoughts into words, does this make sence?Matt
    Not only HS, ...I believe all phones are in fact programmed to operate the same way....I remember first hearing about this with the I300 a couple years ago. Thats actually comforting to know someone has the forethought to program the phone in such a way.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, I agree, great forethought. A little kid could do it, if their parent just passed out after making the call, if you didn't know the phone well or were in panic mode it would be nice. Yes indeed, great idea.
    Only thing is...you can't "test it out" you may get in trouble. So just be a good sameratin (sp?) and if you see a wreak happen, and it looks bad, call it in and posabley save a life and see a neat feature too.
  6.    #6  
    Page 105 in manual

5. When the E911 Callback Mode dialog appears, tap Exit Mode to
    return to your phone to normal operations, or tap Call Back 911 to
    redial the 911 operator.
    PhoneBook menus
    PhoneBook menus are shown here for your reference, and PhoneBook
    features that are not explained elsewhere in this guide are described here.
    See page 28 for information about choosing menu commands. The
    Record and Options menus differ depending on which view is active.
    Tap Make
    Emergency
    Call
  7.    #7  
    Found this on Google with using "E911 callback mode" as the seach Overview of CAMA
    CAMA is a signaling protocol that was originally designed for toll call billing purposes but has been adapted to carry a single telephone number for Enhanced 911 (E911) purposes. E911 is an emergency telephone system capable of automatically displaying the callback number (and in some cases the location) of a person who dials 911 to request emergency help from public safety agencies.

The North American emergency E911 phone system consists of a voice network that is built largely outside of the normal PSTN on which common voice traffic rides. Calls to emergency services are treated specially because they are routed differently from normal traffic within the PSTN. Calls to emergency services are routed on the basis of the calling number, not the called number. The calling number is checked against a database of emergency service providers that cross-references the service providers for the caller's particular location. When this information is determined, the call is then routed to the proper public service answering point (PSAP), which dispatches services to the caller's location.

During setup of a call to E911, before the audio channel is connected, the calling number is transmitted to each switching point, known as a Selective Router (SR), via CAMA. CAMA is used because it carries both the calling and called number using in-band signaling.This allows the telephone system to send a station identification number to the PSAP through the telephone company's E911 equipment. CAMA trunks are used in 80 percent of the E911 network today.

The calling number is needed at the PSAP for two reasons:

To use the calling number to reference an Automatic Location Identification (ALI) database to find the caller's exact location and any extra information about the caller that may have been stored in the database
    To reconnect to the callback number in case the call is disconnected
    Figure 1 shows the topography in existing E911 networks. Figure 2 shows an E911 network using the VIC2-2FXO or VIC2-4FXO card, configured for CAMA, in a Cisco 1751 or Cisco 1760 router.
  8.    #8  
    KRamsauer
    Sure am glad I said "I assume the "E" was for emergancy...LOL
    Looks like it's "Enhanced"...ooops

So what is it they say... If you assume, you can make an *** out of U and ME....