Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Guys
    I am sure there are others like me debating whether to upgrade their current PDAs (Treo 300 in my case) to a new one and what it should be.

Thought a thread comparing the two key contenders head to head would be useful. Any thoughts on:

1) Functionality: PIM, EMail and Browsing
    2)Battery life
    3)Cool unique features
    4) Push email system
    5) Apps?

Heres my first take:

7230: Pros: BB's famous push email system, Awesome display, best keyboard in the market, great battery life, Third party apps allow almost wireless everything.

Cons: GSM coverage is poor; no camera or MP3; no bluetooth; not expandable; no stylus based input

600: Pros: cool extras like camera, voice rec; more TP apps; RIM-like email system im told by good technologies (not tested); SD card expansion slot
    ; stylus based input
    Cons: Dont know how good keyboard/ or push email or battery life is; no bluetooth; bad display it seems
    Onto you!
    Last edited by athreya; 09/06/2003 at 06:34 AM.
  2.    #2  
    118 views but not a single reply!
    I didnt think this was so hard!
    ...this has been covered, ad nauseum, in just about every other thread on this board.
  4.    #4  
    is that right? can you point me to a few threads where this has been specifically discussed? thanks!
    I've used both Treo and BB. Here is my take: BB has better battery life and push email, and better keyboard. But that's it.

Treo is much better due to:
    More functional email, more 3rd party apps, better network, better web browsing, better IM, and better phone performance.

I can't see why one would go BB if Treo is available.
  6.    #6  
    presume u r talking about OLDER models of both. we are trying to compare the new ones where there are significant changes to both
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    ...this has been covered, ad nauseum, in just about every other thread on this board.
    searched the board but couldnt find any specific thread on this.appreciate if u can point it out
    Originally posted by athreya

searched the board but couldnt find any specific thread on this.appreciate if u can point it out
    Ah yes, the eternal Treo vs Blackberry debate. In one corner we have the current champ in corporate e-mail, RIM's Blackberry. In the other corner is the challenger, the Treo. The Blackberry's corporate e-mail prowess is well-known, but the Treo's PIM/phone integration is unmatched as well as it's 3rd party software support. This is going to be one hell of a fight.

The two fighters come to the center of the ring. The referee states the rules to the fighters: "Watch the low blows, kidney punches, and rabbit punches... May the best NETWORK win."

That's what it boils down to: the NETWORK that the devices run on. The older Blackberries ran on a pager-style network. The new Blackberries run on GSM/GPRS networks. The only part that has never been answered by anyone using the new Blackberry is whether the "push" e-mail performance is the same on GSM/GPRS as it was on the pager networks. If it is, then you can expect similar performance from a Treo 600 that is configured with the same back-end enterprise support. Making any other comparison is unfair if the networks and supporting software have not been deployed.

The Blackberry advantage in e-mail has little to do with the device and more to do with the network and back-end support. Given the same support, I think the Treo is a superior device, but that's just my opinion.

As for the search: Hmmm, it took about 2 minutes to find these... How long did you search?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...lackberry.html

I think "ad nauseum" is an apt term to describe how much this topic has been discussed. But feel free to keep going. I'll get some popcorn and watch the debate.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  9.    #9  
    hi insp gadget
    i meant a fullblown discussiona real head2head between the two specific models and not general stuff abt BB and Treos. Also except for one thread the rest deals mostly with the email system only.nothing there abt the features that i mentioned.

How long did you search? ! let me get the popcorn now! CHeers
    Hey Gadget ... is that the movie butter flavor? Yea? Be right over.

Anyway, had the BB when I was in the corporate world. Never understood the importance of 'I gotta have my email right now!' Of all the emails I received, not one was so important I had to have it right away.

Besides, you get that annoying email 'ding' from Outlook (not permitted to change it - corporate and all) and then within the next minute your BB chimes in. Gets pretty obnoxiuos ...
    hi insp gadget
    i meant a fullblown discussiona real head2head between the two specific models and not general stuff abt BB and Treos. Also except for one thread the rest deals mostly with the email system only.nothing there abt the features that i mentioned.

How long did you search? ! let me get the popcorn now! CHeers
    I already stated how long I searched.

As for the thread contents, you are correct...Most of it deals with the e-mail capabilities because that is all anyone buys a Blackberry to get. If they want a real PDA then they buy a Palm OS or a Pocket PC device.

I would say that you're a bit premature in asking people for this comparison since the Treo 600 isn't available for people to use on the networks which would make all the difference when it comes to performance in the Blackberry's area of expertise (corporate e-mail).

But this wasn't my thread, nor was it my argument. I was merely poking fun at all the comparisons being made between two platforms that have traditionally had different focuses.

If you want a debate (i.e. argument...because that's what they always end up being) over which platform is better, then count me out. I already know the answer (for me).

But have fun stirring the hornet's nest.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
  12.    #12  
    well with atleast some people having access to treo 600 as shown on this board i thought it is a good time to compare the devices head to head. Further Treo 600 appears to be the first Palm with a BB email in it, so that makes it fairly unique

Was keen to debate these and ohter things

Btw do you know of any TP apps which can create a voice rec on BB and do either support MSN messenger?
    thanks
    I owned the BB and liked it quite a lot. The 'push' email was the thing for me. However, I couldn't play chess on the device nor use any other Palm OS applications, so I also had a palm pilot at the same time. Include my cell phone into the miz and you can see why i chose the Treo 270 when it came out.

The thing I dislike the most about the 270 is TreoMail. I receivce a lot of spam and, thus, I am essentially paying for spam to be directed to my handheld via my T-Mobile data cahrges. So, I cancelled TreoMail and currently do not have a mobile mail solution.

When the 600 comes out, I pray that the mail solution will be like the BB(push and ease of use, etc.). I also hope they have a data plan for unlimited use, like the BB plans of today. This 'per MB' bull**** has got to end in this age of spam.

Personally, I view the 600 to be the best of all worlds and personally cannot wait till it comes out.

I heard it was already selling in France and Italy. Is that correct?

Andrew
  14.    #14  
    try eudora mail. its free, fast and good

u r talking abt an older BB..7230 sorts out several of those issues...doesnt it?
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    ...snip... I also hope they have a data plan for unlimited use, like the BB plans of today. This 'per MB' bull**** has got to end in this age of spam.

Personally, I view the 600 to be the best of all worlds and personally cannot wait till it comes out.

I heard it was already selling in France and Italy. Is that correct?

Andrew
    T-Mobile has had unlimited data for several months now. It's an add-on plan for $19.95/month. That was front page news on TreoCentral. Where have you been?

And no, the Treo 600 has not been released anywhere yet. Some internet-based companies have put up "Pre-Order" sites, but that's pretty meaningless. All you'd be doing is getting on a list to get one and wouldn't likely get it any faster than anyone else. (Sometimes you end up getting it slower than everyone else.)
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 09/07/2003 at 11:13 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Sprint also has unlimited data (Vision) for $15 a month.

The websites pre-ordering the Treo 600 won't get it any sooner than anyone else and they're horribly overpriced.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    Sprint also has unlimited data (Vision) for $15 a month.

The websites pre-ordering the Treo 600 won't get it any sooner than anyone else and they're horribly overpriced.
    Yup, that's an option if he has coverage where he is. Since he asked about T-Mobile, I didn't think to offer Sprint as a solution. But yes Sprint's Vision is cheaper and faster.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Yup, that's an option if he has coverage where he is. Since he asked about T-Mobile, I didn't think to offer Sprint as a solution. But yes Sprint's Vision is cheaper and faster.
    Bah, semantics!
  19.    #19  
    hi
    can we discuss the two devices please rather than the networks? thanks!
    hi
    can we discuss the two devices please rather than the networks? thanks!
    It's hard to have an in depth, knock down drag out debate/discussion on a unit that hasn't been released yet. Most reviews written about the Treo 600 have been written by people who got ahold of it and played with the PDA functions. Very few, if any have used it as a phone, let alone for e-mail. Until it's available, it'll be had to really critique the Treo 600 and Good software in respect to what the Blackberry can do.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast