Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mr Okie Tex -

are you wanting wi-fi on your handheld purely for the speed? The reason I ask is I tend to question the value of wi-fi for a device such as the Treo/Blackberry (or any native wireless communicator, for that matter), since those devices have wireless connectivity built in, albeit at a slower speed (but certainly more generally available, at least in theory).

So tell me what you want to get out of having wi-fi on a Blackberry and/or Treo - your post reads:

-- I would LOVE for this thing to work with a WI-FI network (ie, 802.11b etc) ... that would make my day to tie it in with my wi-fi networks and browse etc. But, it don't do that.

But you can do that without wi-fi. Well, you can browse; you certainly can't tie in to an existing wi-fi network. Clue me in as to what you'd gain, other than speed....
    nrosser,

well - i don't know if it will be possible at all to do this but here's my reason for it.

If I am in my office OR my home office and it has a wi-fi network and I am walking around or in a meeting or just watching TV in the living room, it'd be nice to be able to switch from the phone network and go to my local WI-FI network via 802.11b(or g etc...) and then, be able to browse the web on the pda/phone with a FASTER connection. That basically gets to the issue -- I'd just prefer a faster connection. So, if I have Wi-Fi on my home network and I am broadband(cable or dsl) then I can take advantage of that network.

On the BB 7230 ... It was very PAINFUL to wait and let the web pages download. I did it ... but it wasn't fun. If you had faster access ... would be excellent. That's my reasoning. It makes sense to me but I could be missing something too!!

So, at least with the TREO 600 ... and if the expansion slot (it has one right?) can be used to house a 3rd party wi-fi antenna and then if software would exist to tie into a 802.11b network ... voila, that'd be great. Or I think it would...

HTH. -ot
    okie_tex,
    I was thinking the same thing as well. Connecting the the WLAN at home for faster surfing speeds when bumming around the house, or anywhere that has a wireless connection.
    But I don't know if it's possible with the Treo 600.
    Maybe we'll find out next week!
    Hi,

I also returned my BB 7230 as well, after playing with it for a week. #1 problem is that it doesn't "push" instant messaging. You can purchase software that will do "push" instant messaging at $48/year. However, it requires MDS which is a part of BES and the minimum cost for BES is $999. I could not justify paying $999 plus $48/year just to chat with my online friends. Another reason for returning the device is limited selection of J2ME software.

I'm waiting for the Treo 600 and I'm hoping it will have push email and push IM. I noticed many PalmOS software so I'm optimistic it will be a fantastic product.

I could do without the phone part, i.e., data only, but I like the small size. I haven't done much research but if you know of some other PDA/Phone that is as small and light, qwerty keyboard, high-resolution screen, runs on T-Mobile (has the most coverage in Oregon), tell me about it and I'll check it out.

Regards,

John
  5.    #45  
    Originally posted by john.babbitt
    Hi,

I also returned my BB 7230 as well, after playing with it for a week. #1 problem is that it doesn't "push" instant messaging. You can purchase software that will do "push" instant messaging at $48/year. However, it requires MDS which is a part of BES and the minimum cost for BES is $999. I could not justify paying $999 plus $48/year just to chat with my online friends. Another reason for returning the device is limited selection of J2ME software.

I'm waiting for the Treo 600 and I'm hoping it will have push email and push IM. I noticed many PalmOS software so I'm optimistic it will be a fantastic product.

I could do without the phone part, i.e., data only, but I like the small size. I haven't done much research but if you know of some other PDA/Phone that is as small and light, qwerty keyboard, high-resolution screen, runs on T-Mobile (has the most coverage in Oregon), tell me about it and I'll check it out.

Regards,

John
    Whats push 'IM"? Treo 600 does not give push email.
    IM = Instant Messaging, like AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo!

Push = receive data to your handset without polling aka pull.

Are you POSITIVE we can not have push email on Treo 600? Though, that's not going to be a big deal for me as long as Treo supports push SMS (I'll have my contacts send me important 'email' through SMS). However, push IM is absolutely a requirement. I can not just check (poll) websites to see if I have any waiting IM every 20 seconds. I want IM's to be pushed to my handset and I'm hoping VeriChat does just that.

Regards,

John
    IM = Instant Messaging, like AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo!

Push = receive data to your handset without polling aka pull.

Are you POSITIVE we can not have push email on Treo 600? Though, that's not going to be a big deal for me as long as Treo supports push SMS (I'll have my contacts send me important 'email' through SMS). However, push IM is absolutely a requirement. I can not just check (poll) websites to see if I have any waiting IM every 20 seconds. I want IM's to be pushed to my handset and I'm hoping VeriChat does just that.

Regards,

John
    I'm not sure why athreya is saying there is no push email on the Treo600 b/c there will be! Several companies including Good and Visto have already announced push-like email functionality for the treo 600. Furthermore there will other 3rd party solutions as well. Check out the article below:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/246-1.htm

Regarding 'push IM', I believe what you're referring to already exists on the Treo300. When you use verichat, you can log on and IM via msn, YIM ICQ etc while have an active vision connection. When you close the verichat app with out logging off, PDAapps servers will automatically send and IM's that you receive via SMS to your treo. That way, even though you're not using verichat at the moment, other users will still see you as logged on and you will receive their IM automatically routed via SMS to your treo. You can then decide to ignore or begin a new chat session on verichat to respond. Thus, the Treo will have "push IM" as you refer to it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #48  
    i just got off a conversation with the CNET tech editor david who mentioned that the treo 600 will not support the same kind of push email as does the BB. the difference as others have pointed out is in the networks. as i understand it, the email will not be automatically pushed to you. one has to conifgure the polling oneself.

unless this is wrong/ i understood him incorrectly, i think this is the position and is a function of the network.

can you suggest the best software for chat for the treo and for the BB?
    Originally posted by athreya
    i just got off a conversation with the CNET tech editor david who mentioned that the treo 600 will not support the same kind of push email as does the BB. the difference as others have pointed out is in the networks. as i understand it, the email will not be automatically pushed to you. one has to conifgure the polling oneself.

unless this is wrong/ i understood him incorrectly, i think this is the position and is a function of the network.

can you suggest the best software for chat for the treo and for the BB?
    Well, I don't know where "David" is getting his information, but there will be options for "push" e-mail on the Treo 600.

Good Technology is offering one such push solution: http://www.good.com/index.php/treo_600.html

In particular: See here

"Outlook in Your Pocket - GoodLink extends all the capabilities of Microsoft Outlook to a wireless handheld, including email, attachments, folders, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks. In addition, GoodLink's intuitive interface mirrors Outlook so that it is easy to use from day one.

Cradle-free, Wireless 2-Way Sync - GoodLink ensures that any changes on the handheld (i.e. add a contact, file a message, create a calendar appointment) are wirelessly synchronized to the desktop, and vice versa. GoodLink is completely push-based and syncs all activity in real time. Simple to use, no cradle required."

Now, I'm not an English major, but it sure sounds like push capability to me. If, according to "David", it's not the same kind of push e-mail as a BlackBerry provides, what kind is it according to him?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it performs.

Regarding chat software, VeriChat works well on the Treo. Can't speak for BlackBerry chat software options.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I can configure Business Connection to push new e-mail to my Treo 300 right now. I don't because I think push e-mail is just plain annoying and it drains my battery.

Geoffrey
  11.    #51  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Well, I don't know where "David" is getting his information, but there will be options for "push" e-mail on the Treo 600.

Good Technology is offering one such push solution: http://www.good.com/index.php/treo_600.html

In particular: See here

"Outlook in Your Pocket - GoodLink extends all the capabilities of Microsoft Outlook to a wireless handheld, including email, attachments, folders, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks. In addition, GoodLink's intuitive interface mirrors Outlook so that it is easy to use from day one.

Cradle-free, Wireless 2-Way Sync - GoodLink ensures that any changes on the handheld (i.e. add a contact, file a message, create a calendar appointment) are wirelessly synchronized to the desktop, and vice versa. GoodLink is completely push-based and syncs all activity in real time. Simple to use, no cradle required."

Now, I'm not an English major, but it sure sounds like push capability to me. If, according to "David", it's not the same kind of push e-mail as a BlackBerry provides, what kind is it according to him?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it performs.

Regarding chat software, VeriChat works well on the Treo. Can't speak for BlackBerry chat software options.
    well i had asked him a similar question and am waiting for his email reply.will post the minute i hear anything back
    Originally posted by athreya
    i just got off a conversation with the CNET tech editor david who mentioned that the treo 600 will not support the same kind of push email as does the BB. the difference as others have pointed out is in the networks.
    Well, that certainly explains it. I've been reading many posting in here (I'm a newcomer to the forum) and I get the impression that Sprint doesn't support "push", as in push SMS and possibly other applications.

I, however, was using T-mobile and push functionality is very much supported. On the BB, I get push email & push SMS. I also know that the Color SideKick gets the above plus push AIM although you can also get push IM on the BB if you're willing to cough up $1K for BES.

I just need a PDA that is small & lightweight, has a QWERTY keyboard, decent screen and work over T-mobile. Phone is secondary for me; might even go unused. Many of the PDA I have found requires WiFi and an ISP. While the speed is cool, the coverage is very, very limited. I need something more of a global coverage, like the T-Mobile network.

Regards,

John
  13.    #53  

Well, that certainly explains it. I've been reading many posting in here (I'm a newcomer to the forum) and I get the impression that Sprint doesn't support "push", as in push SMS and possibly other applications.

I, however, was using T-mobile and push functionality is very much supported. On the BB, I get push email & push SMS. I also know that the Color SideKick gets the above plus push AIM although you can also get push IM on the BB if you're willing to cough up $1K for BES.

I just need a PDA that is small & lightweight, has a QWERTY keyboard, decent screen and work over T-mobile. Phone is secondary for me; might even go unused. Many of the PDA I have found requires WiFi and an ISP. While the speed is cool, the coverage is very, very limited. I need something more of a global coverage, like the T-Mobile network.

Regards,

John
    HI
    treo 600 does not have an identical blackberry like solution but has some other interesting options. i just emailed walt mossberg who replied with the following:

As for the push email service on the Treo 600, there are now lots of choices for that, not just one. None is _identical_ to the Blackberry, but the ones I've tried work well."

however he says that the treo600 is a far superior device because it is a better phone, expandability, battery life and palm OS

that should atleast settle the email system debate. it is NOT a BB type push system
    the main message is that comparing the Treo with Blackberry's overall service is a flawed comparison. You should compare each discrete aspect of the experience:
    - the device (Treo vs 7230)
    - the network (GPRS vs 1XRTT vs Mobitex)
    - server backend (RIM vs Good vs Seven vs Visto et al)
    the point is that there are many aspects of the whole enchilada, and to say or ask if the Treo does push email is kind of like asking if I can make a cake with sugar. Yes you can, but you need a lot more stuff as well. Same thing here - the device is just ONE part of the whole cake.
    How does the push e-mail work on the Treo 600 ?

I don't get it. Do you have to sign up for a new e-mail service?
    Nrosser, I believe the new BBs do not use Mobitex. Instead they use GPRS and whatever Nextel's data is.
    Kram - I knew that; I was just pointing out that the device (which we're all focused on) is just one part of the whole thing.

So many times the server aspect, along with the network component, are left out of the mix. Witness the post right above yours - 'how do I get push e-mail on the Treo600?'

As I think about it, Blackberry succeeded because their approach addressed both the device and the server aspects (and also depended on the very-reliable, if technically aging Mobitex paging network). They really controlled their destiny that way. It'll be interesting to see if the next generation of mobile e-mail (the Goods and Vistos and such) will be able to proliferate like RIM was able to. Time will tell. (certainly the carriers will play a larger role as the adoption of converged devices - the 7230 and 600, etc - continues and grows).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123