Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    this board itself has posts from atleast a handful of people who seem to be using it. There are other boards as well.im sure one can debate everything else other than the phone function, cant we?
    Originally posted by athreya
    this board itself has posts from atleast a handful of people who seem to be using it. There are other boards as well.im sure one can debate everything else other than the phone function, cant we?
    I didn't say no one's used its voice or data capabilities, just that most of them who have had hands on experience haven't. I should have said that they hadn't used the phone or data capabilities. Most haven't used either.
    I don't mean to sound redudant, but there is no one qualified to have the discussion you want on this board. Yes, you are correct that a handful of people have "played" with the Treo600, but that is all they have done. The level of discussion this board is capable of requires ALOT more hands on time than any of these people have had. Also, you are asking the few people to compare it to a "newer" model BlackBerry that they have probably NEVER used. It's really not a viable discussion to have. I appreciate the fact that you may be wanting the people whose opinions you respect, to weigh in and help steer you in a future purchase you wish to make. If that is the case then you should probably wait until more of us are using 600's so you can get any answer.
    Also, I really feel that the debate you want ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES a discussion of networks. How are you going to discuss features and functions, and not dicuss the network they're being used on? Sounds slightly unrealistic to me. Besides, the best (read:most useful) threads on this board don't always stay on target.
    Finally, this really is a matter of apples and oranges. Handspring is definetly after part of that corporate email clientle, but I don't think the two models really can compete. They have totally different target customers.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    I don't mean to sound redudant, but there is no one qualified to have the discussion you want on this board. Yes, you are correct that a handful of people have "played" with the Treo600, but that is all they have done. The level of discussion this board is capable of requires ALOT more hands on time than any of these people have had. Also, you are asking the few people to compare it to a "newer" model BlackBerry that they have probably NEVER used. It's really not a viable discussion to have. I appreciate the fact that you may be wanting the people whose opinions you respect, to weigh in and help steer you in a future purchase you wish to make. If that is the case then you should probably wait until more of us are using 600's so you can get any answer.
    Also, I really feel that the debate you want ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES a discussion of networks. How are you going to discuss features and functions, and not dicuss the network they're being used on? Sounds slightly unrealistic to me. Besides, the best (read:most useful) threads on this board don't always stay on target.
    Finally, this really is a matter of apples and oranges. Handspring is definetly after part of that corporate email clientle, but I don't think the two models really can compete. They have totally different target customers.
    if one had to wait for the device to come out before a meaningful discussion much of this bulletion board would be superfluous. The idea is to debate what people know, appreciate and understand abt the two devices not necessarily based on usage itself, though the latter is a key input. I was not the one who initially didnt want a discussion on networks. I only didnt want this to be converted into a network ONLY discussion which is there at several other places. What we dont have yet is a specific head2head of the two devices.

if one had to wait for the device to come out before a meaningful discussion much of this bulletion board would be superfluous. The idea is to debate what people know, appreciate and understand abt the two devices not necessarily based on usage itself, though the latter is a key input. I was not the one who initially didnt want a discussion on networks. I only didnt want this to be converted into a network ONLY discussion which is there at several other places. What we dont have yet is a specific head2head of the two devices.
    You're not understanding. What people know in this regard is already in various threads on this board and some of it has been touched on in this thread. If you're not satisfied with that information, I'm sorry, but we don't have any more than that right now. How are we going to talk about Treo vs Blackberry when no one posting on this board has used the Treo to the extent that is required required for such an extensive review/comparison? Once the Treo 600 is released, such a review won't be superfluous because a handful of people who have used it and have the knowledge you're looking can explain it for the rest of us.

And yes, the networks will fall into the discussion. What a device can do is limited by what the network it runs on can support. Theoretically, it would be pointless to sing the praises of the Treo if the Good software can provide push e-mail if the GSM and CDMA networks won't allow it. For instance, there's a possibility that the CDMA Treo 600 has built insoftware for MO-SMS. But Sprint's network doesn't support it, so we can't test it. The network must be talked about as much as the device because the hardware and network all work together to make a device work.

The bottom line is that you're asking for information that no one knows yet. You'll just have to wait.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 09/07/2003 at 06:04 PM.
  6.    #26  
    sure. all im saying is that doesnot preclude intelligent speculation based on the information we all have, does it? scenario planning or forecasting is not a bad pastime to have!im ok with the networks stuff too!inspector gadget isnt!
    sure. all im saying is that doesnot preclude intelligent speculation based on the information we all have, does it? scenario planning or forecasting is not a bad pastime to have!im ok with the networks stuff too!inspector gadget isnt!
    Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say I wouldn't discuss planning or forecasting, nor did I say I wouldn't discuss the networks. "Intelligent speculation" is not what you initially asked for in this thread. You said you wanted a head2head comparison of the two devices and I was saying that any such discussion always results in an argument as people try to defend their platform of choice. I don't find that to be productive.

If there is anyone here that is actually using the new BB, they are welcome to sing its praises, but no one can speak for the Treo 600 in a real-world situation because such a situation doesn't exist yet. No one is using it with any of the touted network services (such as Good or Visto) that make the device compare to a BB. It won't be until the device is released and REAL people start using it for REAL work, that we'll be able to have an intelligent discussion of how the two devices compare.

Some of the people that "got their hands on one" or "got to see one for five minutes" are not professional reviewers and don't have the services set up to evaluate the device properly. They don't have performance metrics or consistent standards. Some have only been Treo owners (if at all) for a very short time. That's not to say that they aren't capable of giving good information, but they are not going to be able to provide a balanced report because they can't evaluate all of the capabilities.

Blackberry devices (old or new) are not exactly known for their PDA prowess (as compared to Palm OS or Pocket PC). They have been and continue to be mainly corporate e-mail tools. That "killer" application requires a network and back-end solutions which support such applications. So any meaningful discussion of the device will have to include its network. That is why most of the threads that I pointed you to discuss e-mail and networks when comparisons are attempted.

Anything else is speculation, posturing, and flaming of platforms.

Try this thread again in about three months...after people have had a chance to really use the Treo 600 in a variety of situations in day-to-day activities. Then Blackberry owners that ALSO own Treo 600s will be able to answer your questions. That's a very limited number of people. All others (who only own one or the other) will only be able to speak for their own device.

Until then, this is a waste of time and energy.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  8.    #28  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    [B]

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say I wouldn't discuss planning or forecasting, nor did I say I wouldn't discuss the networks.

you DID say that you are not keen to discuss networks. Please see your qoute below which is what i was refering to. Have you changed your mind now?

"If you want a debate (i.e. argument...because that's what they always end up being) over which platform is better, then count me out. I already know the answer (for me)."
    == "Florida House Members To Get Blackberries"

-- http://www.pdabuzz.com/#newsitem1062991388,5619,
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by athreya
    [B]
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say I wouldn't discuss planning or forecasting, nor did I say I wouldn't discuss the networks.

you DID say that you are not keen to discuss networks. Please see your qoute below which is what i was refering to. Have you changed your mind now?

"If you want a debate (i.e. argument...because that's what they always end up being) over which platform is better, then count me out. I already know the answer (for me)."
    I see I have to break it down for you:

In my first post, I stated that one cannot compare devices without considering the networks on which they run. Also in that post I said that it had been discussed quite enough and I pointed you to a few threads, but you rejected them because...

In your reply to me you stated "i meant a fullblown discussion a real head2head between the two specific models and not general stuff abt BB and Treos."

To that, I replied "If you want a debate (i.e. argument...because that's what they always end up being) over which platform is better, then count me out. I already know the answer (for me)." In the context of what we were talking about, "platform" refers to the device (and its operating system) not the network on which it runs. The "head2head" comparison that you want to do is based on the device...and I said it's a waste of time to do that because to properly evaluate wireless devices for functionality you need to:

1. Have the devices.
    2. Have them running on compatible networks with services activated.
    3. Have them long enough to get a real sense of the usability.

In the case of the Treo 600, that can't be done yet, so I said "count me out".

I didn't change my mind. I simply clarified my position--that we can't really discuss which device (platform) is better until we can use BOTH of them.

Now do you understand?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

I see I have to break it down for you:

In my first post, I stated that one cannot compare devices without considering the networks on which they run. Also in that post I said that it had been discussed quite enough and I pointed you to a few threads, but you rejected them because...

In your reply to me you stated "i meant a fullblown discussion a real head2head between the two specific models and not general stuff abt BB and Treos."

To that, I replied "If you want a debate (i.e. argument...because that's what they always end up being) over which platform is better, then count me out. I already know the answer (for me)." In the context of what we were talking about, "platform" refers to the device (and its operating system) not the network on which it runs. The "head2head" comparison that you want to do is based on the device...and I said it's a waste of time to do that because to properly evaluate wireless devices for functionality you need to:

1. Have the devices.
    2. Have them running on compatible networks with services activated.
    3. Have them long enough to get a real sense of the usability.

In the case of the Treo 600, that can't be done yet, so I said "count me out".

I didn't change my mind. I simply clarified my position--that we can't really discuss which device (platform) is better until we can use BOTH of them.

Now do you understand?
    sorry i disagree. if one has to wait for devices to keep coming and not have an informed dicussion without actaully using it, we dont need a forum like this at all
    hopw you understand atleast now.
    No offense, but "informed" discussion implies knowing information. As has been stated, without the actual device on hand most of what is discussed on this board can still be considered "speculation". Even what we've pretty much nailed down in terms of Treo features still can't be fully discussed until more of us use the thing (myself included). It's really silly to be arguing about it.
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    No offense, but "informed" discussion implies knowing information. As has been stated, without the actual device on hand most of what is discussed on this board can still be considered "speculation". Even what we've pretty much nailed down in terms of Treo features still can't be fully discussed until more of us use the thing (myself included). It's really silly to be arguing about it.
    Sure. Knowing all available information. Thats exactly what i meant- but i havent seen any discussion based on even the information we ALREADY HAVE abt the two devices? a little subtle perhaps but nonetheless true. got it Jenny?
    It still seems to me like you just want to start an argument. If you'd like threads with information about the new Treo, there are many threads going right now with plenty of info on what we know so far about the device. Considering most of those threads are all at the top of this forum right now, they aren't hard to find.
    ...That athreya is really purplex?
  16.    #36  
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    ...That athreya is really purplex?
    yeah-just like you specl whatever !
    angry little be ahch aren't you?

Sure. Knowing all available information. Thats exactly what i meant- but i havent seen any discussion based on even the information we ALREADY HAVE abt the two devices? a little subtle perhaps but nonetheless true. got it Jenny?
    And you likely won't see the kind of comparison you're asking for here. This is a TREO forum. If you want to know more about the Blackberry devices in depth, you need to visit a Blackberry forum (or at least a general PDA forum) where you will find actual users of the device.

If you want to know more about the Treo 600, then this is the place...but there is only so much that can be discussed about a device that hasn't been released yet.

Speculation is fine, but no one here is going to be able to give you hard facts until we get the device and can use it. And since most of us are NOT Blackberry users, who do you expect to make the usability comparisions?

The information we already have is all over this forum. Quite frankly, there is no more new information right now. When some is released we can talk about it. Until then all we'll end up doing is pontificating about subjective matters in usability for devices that we don't even have. I don't see the point in that. The feature list of the Treo 600 has been listed all over the place. TreoCentral did a pretty good job in its articles.

If you want the feature list of the new Blackberry, Google is a pretty good search engine...Go for it. Then you can decide (based on the features) what you want. But to ask us to weigh pros and cons about two devices that none of us have, is asking us to argue points that none of us can back up.

In the end, it all comes down to making a choice. Once you make it, either live with it, or switch. We don't need to argue about it. Life is too short.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

I have to agree with Insp_Gadget on this. You're looking for an in depth comparison between the Treo 600 and the Blackberry 7230. It doesn't exist on this forum and it won't, at least not for a while. No one has the knowledge to make such a comparison. Without real world usage of the Treo 600 and not just 30 minutes to play with it, you can't judge it so critically.

You're probably going to have to wait until the Treo is released. And that wouldn't be superfluous (wow that was a big word, I must sound smart). If talking about a product was superfluous once it's released, then what would be the point of having a Treo 90, 180, 270, or 300 forum? With any technology, there will be issues, problems, concerns, and questions. Some people will have the answers that others are seeking and that's what these forums are all about. Now that I think about it, the BB 7230 is already out, so by your logic, isn't discussing that superfluous?

The bottom line is that we don't have information you're looking for. You can either go somewhere else to look for it, or use TreoCentral and its resources and stop whining that no one's telling you what you want to hear.
    Well, I have a BB 7230 on T-Mobile.

I think the network is very important in regards to this discussion even though this discussion might be over now or it's coming to a slow death!

But, here's my issues on the BB7230. I do love it. I love it with the T-Mobile service. I think their e-mail 'push' system seems to work well. Reading / Receiving mail on the BB is awesome. Talking on the BB is "OK" ... for the most part, it works well. However, let's say you put your phone on your shoulder to hold it -- I lose the ability to hear ... so, I always have to hold it or use the earpiece (which I don't use -- but, it seemed REALLY nice when I used it). So, I didn't like that ... it's just a little wormy when trying to talk and if you get it out of place on your ear -- but not bad. It's liveable - for me anyway.

Also, the SIZE of the BB is a little too "wide". It's a nice size in length but the width is just a little uncomfortable. You can get used to it but it is kind of weird at first.

Now, here's some other thoughts --
    -- BB sucks in support of "3rd party apps". You can't find crap anywhere to play with it.
    -- I use mine on my POP acct .. no corp e-mail here -- and it works awesome.
    -- I would LOVE for this thing to work with a WI-FI network (ie, 802.11b etc) ... that would make my day to tie it in with my wi-fi networks and browse etc. But, it don't do that.
    -- Also, Bluetooth would be a nice addition
    -- Also, speakerphone ... i've seen where people say it has it or previous models have it, but I haven't been able to make mine work (if it really exist) - so, if it doesn't, would like speakerphone

Last point -- I had a prob with my 7230 ... and it's in the box right now. I sent it back .... they sent it back ... I wanted a new one -- T-MOB screwed up the deal. Now, I am thinking of sending it back and waiting for the TREO 600. Basically, the 7230 started "resetting" itself and I got some sort of "prefetch..." error and had to do a hard reset. It just didn't perform correctly and I am almost on a first name basis with the tech support group at T-MOB now.

So, I am *probably* sending mine back and just forgetting the BB7230 for now. Will wait for the TREO 600 ... and HOPE it is supported on the T-MOBILE network. I like my "family" talk plans that I have and they seem to be good. Going with Sprint ... I'm not sure I can match what I have now with minutes, etc...

Anyway, one thing I do hope the TREO 600 will go with is a 3rd party plugin that will enable Wi-Fi. If it doesn't , oh well... but I at least have some hope that it might because it does have expandabilty not like the BB7230.

Also, at least with the TREO 600, I can get other 3rd party apps, games, better contact systems etc... a REAL PDA.

Sorry ... went off -- but just my "little" review of my BB7230. Again, I do like it a lot ... if the TREO 600 doesn't make it out here soon, maybe I'll go back to the BB 7230 but I hope I can score with the TREO 600.

hth someone. -ot
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast