1.    #1  
    Hi all!
    I may seem new to this forum but infact I have been reading the Treo 600 forum since its birth.
    I have been trying to decide between the 600 vs XDA2 and I think I will go with the 600 because of the keyboard and the smaller size, although I still have my eyes open 4 the XDA2.
    anyways, what I would like to know is would I be able to connect to the net using BLAZER in europe and the middle east (jordan), I don't think that jordan offers GPRS and I was hoping the blazer would be able to connect using the modem, how fast would the connection be?
    thanks in advance.
    marty
    Spain will someday win the World Cup!!!
    If you want to use the 600 outside of the US, then you will need the GSM version. As I understand it, the only way to get data access is with GPRS. I assume that most European countries have standardized GPRS in the same way that GSM is standardized, and therefore the 600 will be able to access data services. If you are in a location that doesn't support GPRS, then you will not be able to get data services.

You might still be able to use the 600 as a modem, but it would be through a normal dial-up configuration, e.g. you would be using your plan minutes to be making a phone call to a modem bank. You would then connect the 600 to the modem on your computer. In that case, you are not really using the 600 for its data capabilities, just its phone capabilities.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    The WebToGo service is designed to allow for GPRS roaming where available globally. I have been using with a two device combination (Siemens S55 GSM phonee with a Sony Clie TG-50), but they also support Treo. I have been very pleased with them.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  4.    #4  
    thanks a lot for the help, i wounder if GPRS is in Jordan?!
    I will try to google it, maybe there is a website that info on where GPRS is active in the world!
    You should still be able to access data over your GSM connection thorugh a dial up,which is what we all did before GPRS came out.

I have an xda (I assume it is an xda2, since it is the second model). Don't buy one. The device is nice to look at and has some hardware pluses, but in terms of useability is nowhere near the Treo 270, much less what the T600 will have. If I hadn't dropped my T270 one time too many on the hard tile floor, I wouldn't use the xda at all.
    JDave is right. You can use Blazer over a dial-up account when GPRS is not available. I have a backup Earthlink account that I switch to when T-mobile GPRS is not available. Just switch the network setting and tell it to dial-in. Of course, it functions at dial-up speed, not GPRS, and uses cell phone minutes instead of data charges but it works fine.
    It is 9.6kbit per second only that is about 3-4 times slower than average GPRS speed
  8.    #8  
    Problem solved, 2 different companies offer GPRS in Jordan.
    So I am a happy man.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Although I have not tried GPRS roaming the WebToGo service I mentiioned above does tout roaming (by automatically cofiguring your device for the appropriate providers) and once you sign up with them (hey have a free and pay premium service) they have a look up form where you ca enter yor current provider (SIM) and the country you are traveling and it returns providers who proviide data service their. I tried looking up Jordan and itt listed providers but didn't have further details. This was probably because it is not a common cconfiiguratiion that they have tested yet. If you have questions, try e-mailing them. TThey have always responded to me within a business day.

Good luck!
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!