1.    #1  
    Not being the "crafty" type or having the time to do cut-outs...Anyone know where to find or can take an image of both models side by side? (and post of course!)

Most of the images out there don't have anything else included for scale. An occasional hand maybe, but I bet my hand is a different size than yours...
    sptfyr700,

you got it... side by side
    www.gsmworld.com
    Apparently, the 600 is not significantly smaller than the 300 (and it is slightly heavier). Here's how they compare:

Treo 300: 4.4" x 2.8" x 0.82" (total volume = 10.1024 cubic inches), 5.7 oz (from http://www.handspring.com/products/c...rs/specs.jhtml)

Treo 600: 4.41" x 2.36" x .87" (total volume = 9.054612 cubic inches), 5.9 oz (from http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5499)

I think the best form factor is the design of the Nokia 6800, the flip-phone model that has a numeric keypad on the outside and, when opened, has a full alphanumeric keyboard split in half (on each side of the screen, which rotates its display 90 degrees). See http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6800 . Too bad this style is not available with a Palm OS (yet?!)
    The Treo 600 has the same length and width dimensions as my Logitech mouse (the mouse is slightly thicker and a lot lighter). So by holding the mouse in my hand, I can get an idea of what the feel of the 600 is. At least for me, the 600 is a lot more "hand-sized" than the 300. If you give it a try, be careful not to blind yourself with that little laser light coming out the bottom of the mouse!
    My 2 cents on the size of the 600:

Size does matter. Not to the extent that I would give up the thumb board.

What matters more? Can it handle 3 way calls, and call waiting with out disconnecting callers?
    Originally posted by scrinch
    The Treo 600 has the same length and width dimensions as my Logitech mouse (the mouse is slightly thicker and a lot lighter). So by holding the mouse in my hand, I can get an idea of what the feel of the 600 is. At least for me, the 600 is a lot more "hand-sized" than the 300.
    As you note, your mouse doesn't weigh as much as the Treo 600. Nor are you carrying it with you (in a pocket or in a case), as you would the Treo 600.

I know the technical specs of the Treo 600 are obviously superior to the Treo 300. But physically, it doesn't appear to be much of an improvement.
    Last edited by DougI; 09/05/2003 at 10:23 AM.
    Originally posted by DougI
    I know the technical specs of the Treo 600 are obviously superior to the Treo 300. But physically, it doesn't appear to be much of an improvement.
    For me, even with large hands, the Treo 300 has never felt comfortable as a phone. It is too wide and blocky. It feels fine as a connected PDA, holding it in front of my face and typing or working the stylus, but holding it up to my ear feels a little awkward. I even wrote HS an e-mail early this year suggesting that they make the next Treo 1/4 to 1/2 inch narrower if possible. For that reason (and the flimsiness of the flip lid), I find myself using the speakerphone as often as is convenient. The narrower new form factor and the lack of flip lid will make the Treo 600 more one-handed phone-like for me. And the lack of flip lid should take away two huge sources of unreliability: the cracking hinge, and speaker failure (wires passing through the hinge).
    The narrower new form factor and the lack of flip lid will make the Treo 600 more one-handed phone-like for me. And the lack of flip lid should take away two huge sources of unreliability: the cracking hinge, and speaker failure (wires passing through the hinge).
    I agree these are improvements. However, the changes don't make the Treo 600 much easier to carry around, as it seems like it will still be big for a pocket or on the belt.

I agree these are improvements. However, the changes don't make the Treo 600 much easier to carry around, as it seems like it will still be big for a pocket or on the belt.
    I never had a problem with carrying around a big phone. It never bothered me. What I don't like about the Treo 300 is the awkwardness of the shape and feel when I'm using it. It looks like the 600 will solve that. Also, the hight demensions are almost identical between the 270/300 and 600, but you have to open the 270/300 to talk on it (unless you're on speakerphone or headset), which makes it much larger when you're using it.
    However, the changes don't make the Treo 600 much easier to carry around, as it seems like it will still be big for a pocket or on the belt.
    Agreed. The SPH-i500 is an almost ideal size and form factor from that perspective (and for protecting the screen).

Agreed. The SPH-i500 is an almost ideal size and form factor from that perspective (and for protecting the screen).
    A phone that small would be great, but it's too small for a keyboard. I've gotten spoiled and I'd rather have a larger phone with keyboard than a tiny one without it. Now if they could have a colapsable keyboard that would fold up when just using phone functions and expand for PDA, then it would be pretty cool.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,4486,00.html
    I love the width of the Treo 300. I have small hands and it fits perfectly in my palm. I recently tried using a 'normal sized' cell phone and found it very uncomforable holding it with my fingertips because they are too small to hold in the palm.

The treo 600 seems to be more of a finger phone than palm phone. I hope this isn't the case.

Also, I think everyone thinks the 300 is so big mainly because of the flip lid rather than the width. If you take off the flip lid and put a speaker right above the screen, it's still very small for a palm phone with keyboard.
    Everyone worrying about carrying around suh a "large" phone and not knowing if it's too big for a pocket should try lugging around a Kyo 6035 for a few days. The damn thing practially pulls my pants down. Recently our department (IT) got a Treo 300 for our new CEO and I put it my pocket and it was perfect for carrying in a pocket. Sure it takes up some space but it's a frickin PDA! What do you expect. You could always go with one of those watch pdas if you're so space conscious. Have fun with one of those. Yawn.
    At least it aint a Motorola 8000 series...you know, the old brick phone from the late 80's LOL

Like others here have stated, the lack of the flip does make the 600 physically superior, at least when using it as a phone. If you are thinking about it's width, yes, it is still fairly wide. But how narrow of a PDA would you want? It still needs to be wide enough to have a usable screen, and of course a usable thumb board.
  16.    #17  
    Thanks for the pix. 300 always felt a little too wide, so am looking forward to 600 even if just a sliver narrower.
    There's another pic below in the bargainpda mini-review of the Treo600 comparing it to the Treo300:

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...wComments=true

I personally, think the Teo600 will be almost the perfect size. I was never too bothered by the thickness of the Treo300 so the extra thickness of the Treo600 doesn't bother me. I also believe the current screen size of the Treo600 is the minimum acceptable with out getting useless. I certainly do not want the treo600 to get any smaller in the future b/c the screen would become to minicule to be useful IMO....but that's just conjecture for now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions