1.    #1  
    Since the 600 is coming out soon, I decided I would play around with the 300 and try some new colors. I had some trouble the first time with the paint not sticking well so I had to strip it and try again. This time, I tried Krylon Fusion as a base code (plastic paint) and then a metalic finish on top of that. Looks really cool...I think. Don't know about durability yet.

Here is a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looks neat, however what about the lid?
    David
  3.    #3  
    I was going for the Zire / Treo 600 two tone look.
    I'm not into bright colors for my phone (yep, I'm one of those plain vanilla guys who wants a black or dark gray phone), but your experiment turned out really good! I'm impressed. Even with the 600 coming out, and (I'm assuming) you trading up when it does, that was pretty ballsy of you to do!
    Hey JakePratt, that's pretty slick! I would do the lid also though. The ugly grey doesn't match the blue. Just my opinion. I love the blue though!

Here's another mod idea. Not sure if this would work...

Someone opened up the Treo a while back and posted pics. Inside was a PCMCIA radio. What about yanking the card and putting it back together and using it on a PC? Why? Because it was a really cheesy way to build a cell phone? Well, ok... The Treo was the best phone on the market at the time so I'll let it slide. haha...

Really though, it would be pretty amusing if it would work. I wonder how miffed sprint would be if it did.

Why you ask would I want to do that? Well for $20 I can add a 2nd phone, then I would have unlimited internet on my laptop for $20 instead of $80. Wahoo! Haha.

I know, I know... probably a dumb idea, its Friday, that's my excuse!
    Originally posted by ferrarinu
    Someone opened up the Treo a while back and posted pics. Inside was a PCMCIA radio.
    It's not PCMCIA, it's an embedded module. Don't know if the i/f is an industry standard or not.

http://airprime.com/prod_wirelessem_EM3000.html
    HAY JAKE let us all know how the paint wares? it looks cool, buy I would have painted the lid 2, except 4 the window portion. take care, jay
    Where did you get the paint. I don't think my local hardware store has that sort of thing.

Thanks
  9.    #9  
    I got it at Hobby Lobby. The color you see here is a a Krylon Blue Metallic but it is painted over a layer of blue Krylon Fusion in hopes it will adhere to the plastic
    Looks really good!! Congratulations. I might give it a try when I pass the 300 on to my daughter (when I get my 600). Did you take it apart, or just mask it?
    Did you attempt to lightly sand the surface of the plastic prior to painting? My understanding is that "scuffing" it up with a light sanding helps the paint stick.
  12.    #12  
    Yes, I lightly sanded it but the paint just didn't want to stick originally. I got a little more agressive the second time (made sure the surface is nice and dull.) It seems to be holding up really well this time.

This was kind of an experiment. I have done lots of painting on PC cases etc but never something that was in my pocket all the time or that already had a pre-existing finish that needed removed.
    Originally posted by JakePratt
    This time, I tried Krylon Fusion as a base code (plastic paint) and then a metalic finish on top of that. Looks really cool...I think. Don't know about durability yet.

Here is a picture.
    Hey Jake, I've heard that the "Fusion" paint basically melts the plastic in its bonding process. My guess is that if you had used Fusion first, it would have "become part of the plasic itself". (My father-in-law used it on plastic outdoor furniture; it got hot and seems to have formed an almost impenetrable shell.) Don't know if I'll get as daring as you, but if I do, should I use Fusion first?
    how did you mask the keyboard?
  15.    #15  
    I didin't mask the keyboard, I disassembled the treo completely. Only thing I masked was the lid since I wanted to keep it silver and the Antenna
    SWEET! I have to try this.

I painted both of my palm III's. It's fun.
    does krylon fusion soak into masking tape? im worried that it might give the clear window a tint if it gets through the mask