1.    #1  
    I've been giving serious thought to leaving the Treo line behind and switching to the SE P800.

Give me some reasons to wait for the 600.

I'm on T-Mobile with my 270...no complaints with carrier.

Has anyone here ever used the P800?
    Last edited by mikegold; 09/04/2003 at 09:27 PM.
    1.) thumbboard, 2) sprint network, 3) palm os
  3. purpleX
    I believe I am the best person to do this job.

Is there a reason you should wait for treo 600?

If you wait, have you seen the P810 released around the same time as t600?
    http://www.jenneth.info/archives/000340.html#more
  4.    #4  
    Did you post this on howardforums also?
    Originally posted by mikegold

Has anyone here ever used the P800?
    I'm a satisfied P800 user for more than 9 months now.

Basically it has everything except no decent office applications yet (you can view just about any document format, but you can only edit plain text files).

I think the only advantages the Treo 600 has over the P800 is more available software and the keyboard. - Which for many will be the deciding factor here I think. The P800 also uses the stupid Sony Memory Stick DUO, which is expensive and currently limited to 128MB only.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    If you wait, have you seen the P810 released around the same time as t600?
    The P810/P900/or whatever it will be called hasn't been officially announced yet, and it will most likely NOT be available untill Q1 next year.
    Always looked like a good device. Seen many people use it in the UK but never used it myself. They always seemed kind of uncomfortable smudging around on the screen or taking out the stylus to do things.

To me, the foremost reason I wouldn't get this or many other devices is lack of thumboard, which if you do a lot of text entry is essential IMO. It also allows for easy one-handed operation which I would never give up now.

Second would be the OS and available applications. For example, does Symbian have application suites similar to SnapperMail + QuickOffice Premier? To me, this combo makes leaving a laptop behind an easy decision with my 270. With the 600, the decision will be easier still. Of course there are hundreds of other applications. Can't compare the numbers or quality to Symbian apps though I keep hearing that Symbian app availability is not too shabby. Maybe someone who really knows can shed some real light.
  8.    #8  
    I'm not too concerned about the office apps.

There are, however, several palm apps that I am fond of but from what I've seen there are a good number of symbian apps.

Can you easily beam information to and from Palm users with the P800?

What entry system does it use? Some sort of handwriting recognition?

How is the RF performance?

I guess since I've been having "issues" with my 270 lately I am looking around to other options. If the 600 is less prone to losing the radio operation and won't require so many re-sets I would stick with Handspring/Palm.
    Originally posted by mikegold
    I'm not too concerned about the office apps.

There are, however, several palm apps that I am fond of but from what I've seen there are a good number of symbian apps.

Can you easily beam information to and from Palm users with the P800?

What entry system does it use? Some sort of handwriting recognition?

How is the RF performance?
    Shouldn't be any problems beaming stuff over, no.

The P800 uses CIC Jot handwriting recognition. It's very good, but I tend to rely mostly on the virtual QWERTY for text input.

As for RF, well I don't live in US so... But over here in Scandinavia I have no problems.
  10. purpleX
    wait p800 uses CIC? oh gawd, that's only slightly better than G2 in most Palm models. It's not a mix cursive HWR.
    Hehe, purpleX, you have to actually try it before you diss it. The hwr in the P800 is actually very well implemented. But don't take my word for it, have a look at all the P800 reviews around and they will tell you the same.
  12. purpleX
    well implemented doesn't mean it is the best hwr around. the CIC engine is bordering gesture typing ala grafitti instead of full hwr like in Newton or Transcriber. User still have to write in much more restricted alphabet form than full hwr.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    well implemented doesn't mean it is the best hwr around.
    Never said it was.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I own a P800 right now, and I'm looking forward to upgrading to the Treo 600. As it's been said, there's no way to edit Office documents right now. Also, there's not enough on-board memory, and the Memory Stick Duo only goes up to 128 MB at this point.

The biggest thing that draws me away from the P800, though, is the requirement to use both hands to do most tasks. I like the MS Smartphone because it's one-handed operation; the OS is slower than anything I've every used, though, with that phone. The P800 is one heck of a phone and includes bluetooth (very well implemented), but it's fairly large and requires two hands. I also love the included camera on the P800. The camera app allows for a wide range of settings, as well.

To me, there just isn't a perfect combination of size, # of apps, speed, functionality, and one-handed operation.

I'm hoping the Treo 600 fills the void.