Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Why is it that if someone sends me an IM from AIM to my Treo I get the message but I can't reply. My friend has a Sprint Sanyo 5300 I think and it's the same way for him. Is it becuase Sprint does not have real SMS? A girl here in the office has a Verison phone and she can reply back to the AIM user. Does Treo300SMS fix this or is it just not possible with Sprint at all. This is no big deal, I was just wondering about it.

Thanks
    Have you tried AIM for Palm on your Treo? It's like having your desktop AIM on your phone. Search this board for more info.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    That's not the point. You would have to be connected to the internet then draining the battery.
    Originally posted by hall316
    Why is it that if someone sends me an IM from AIM to my Treo I get the message but I can't reply. My friend has a Sprint Sanyo 5300 I think and it's the same way for him. Is it becuase Sprint does not have real SMS? A girl here in the office has a Verison phone and she can reply back to the AIM user. Does Treo300SMS fix this or is it just not possible with Sprint at all. This is no big deal, I was just wondering about it.

Thanks
    It shouldn't matter. Plenty of people get IM's with no problem on Sprint. What are you using, AIM, VeriChat, Chatter, etc?
    hall316 That's not the point. You would have to be connected to the internet then draining the battery.
    So what is the point? People like me use AIM on the Treo all the time without problems. I guess I didn't understand your question. If you're asking about MO-SMS capability, unfortunately the Treo 300 cannot send. But Treo300SMS can solve this problem.
    Last edited by ChemEngr; 09/04/2003 at 05:36 PM.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    The point is to not use a program at all. Try this and you will see. Log on to AIM on your desktop. Go to set up and the bottom. Click add Mobile. Enter your own mobile phone number and name it whatever you want. Then send that buddy you just created an IM. It will show up on your phone without running verichat, AIM or whatever program on your phone. On the Sprint phones you can not reply, but I know you can at least with any verizon phone. I was just trying to figure out if it was becuase Sprint doesn't have real SMS or what.

I wanted to know if having TREOSMS would actually allow me to reply with out have any AIM or verichat or whatever on my phone. The girl here in the office with a verizon phone just hits reply like a normal text message she recieves and it shows up on the person's screen who origianlly sent the IM
    Originally posted by hall316
    The point is to not use a program at all. Try this and you will see. Log on to AIM on your desktop. Go to set up and the bottom. Click add Mobile. Enter your own mobile phone number and name it whatever you want. Then send that buddy you just created an IM. It will show up on your phone without running verichat, AIM or whatever program on your phone. On the Sprint phones you can not reply, but I know you can at least with any verizon phone. I was just trying to figure out if it was becuase Sprint doesn't have real SMS or what.

I wanted to know if having TREOSMS would actually allow me to reply with out have any AIM or verichat or whatever on my phone. The girl here in the office with a verizon phone just hits reply like a normal text message she recieves and it shows up on the person's screen who origianlly sent the IM
    Oh, I understand what you mean. You can try it, but I don't think it will work. AIM works by sending SMS. Treo300SMS is just a way to use Shortmail. Despite the name, it's not SMS. If might appear to work like it because it does everything automatically, but it's not SMS. You can get Treo300SMS for a free trial. Go ahead and give it a shot, it can't hurt.
    OK, now I get your point. I tried it and there is no way to reply with the treo except starting AIM or whatever messaging program and responding to that buddy. TreoSMS can't help you. Sprint's shortmail messaging is idiotic and everybody knows that. However, there is always a work around, don't you think? Good luck.
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    OK, now I get your point. I tried it and there is no way to reply with the treo except starting AIM or whatever messaging program and responding to that buddy. TreoSMS can't help you. Sprint's shortmail messaging is idiotic and everybody knows that. However, there is always a work around, don't you think? Good luck.
    Yeah, Shortmail sucks and everyone knows it. From what I hear, Sprint is finally working on getting their servers upgraded and could have real SMS by the end of the year. There are work arounds for lots of things, but probably not for this. AIM needs SMS and Sprint's network doesn't support it. Treo300SMS only mimics SMS so that's why it won't work. I don't know any way to get around it unless Sprint actually offers real MO-SMS.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Yeah, Shortmail sucks and everyone knows it. From what I hear, Sprint is finally working on getting their servers upgraded and could have real SMS by the end of the year.
    letsgoflyers81

I don't mean to question your source, but I've been hearing since I bought my Treo the week it came out that Sprint was working on REAL SMS . Is your source good, can he/she give any more information? The week I bought my Treo I called Sprint tech support and asked why SMS was not working (I had not found all these wonderful message boards). I was told by the technician that Sprint does not support SMS, but that they were working on it and it should be out soon. That was over a year ago. I know soon is a relative term, but soon to me would have been a month or 2. Not a year or 2.

At any case, I hope your right and I hope it works with the Treo 300 and 600.
    Originally posted by ferrarinu

letsgoflyers81

I don't mean to question your source, but I've been hearing since I bought my Treo the week it came out that Sprint was working on REAL SMS . Is your source good, can he/she give any more information? The week I bought my Treo I called Sprint tech support and asked why SMS was not working (I had not found all these wonderful message boards). I was told by the technician that Sprint does not support SMS, but that they were working on it and it should be out soon. That was over a year ago. I know soon is a relative term, but soon to me would have been a month or 2. Not a year or 2.

At any case, I hope your right and I hope it works with the Treo 300 and 600.
    I understand your skepticism. I won't believe it until I see it. Check out this thread from HowardForums http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=192066

The mod there is a Sprint employee who usually knows his stuff. Sprint had to upgrade their network for Virgin Mobile because they demanded SMS. So Sprint is half way there to being able to offer real SMS. Virgin owns half the equipment needed. If Sprint gets their own, they're good to go. Also, there are several Sprint phones coming out that apparently support SMS. I can't think of a reason why Sprint would commision a phone with SMS if they won't support it. All the other phones Sprint has had that could be capable of SMS had the features disabled or removed altogther.

Of course this doesn't mean anything for sure. But it's a good indication that they're finally moving on this. Keep in mind that Sprint is the only carrier out of the big 6 without MO-SMS. WLNP starts on November 24th, so they're going to want to do what they can to keep their customers.
    That's good information, letsgoflyers81. I've got two VirginMobile phones, and they use the Sprint network, and they have full SMS capabilities. That had confused me.
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    That's good information, letsgoflyers81. I've got two VirginMobile phones, and they use the Sprint network, and they have full SMS capabilities. That had confused me.
    LOL, I know. It confused the hell out of me when I heard they had SMS since I knew they used Sprint.