1.    #1  
    I am a current Treo 300 owner and frankly, I can't live without it. While going through several postings today, I found out that Sprint's Treo 600 will be a silver color. I was thoroughly dissapointed at this piece of news! I think the silver color looks cheesy, its fake paint almost childish looking (almost like a toy), while the black metallic color seems more appropriate for business, more professional, and especially classic and subdued.

Frankly, I am tired of all these new cellphones looking like fake metal. At least the Motorla v60 is made out of an aluminum which seems "real"! There's a reason why Blackberries are dark colored and have been like that forever. It's because research must have reflected that business people prefer the subdued, unflashy phone colors such as black (this is my own assumption, though I am fairly confident of it). The Treo is a productivity machine, not a fashion gadget.

I may switch carriers just because of that. Which leads me to the next question: Is there a huge difference in speed between GPRS and CDMA? But we can leave that for another repeat forum. Right now I would love to know what you all think about the color issue. Anyone agree? Should I not make it this big of a deal?

Thanks in advance.
    i thought the sprint version had the black metallic look...
  3.    #3  
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t35759/s.html

Here is the discussion thread that confirms the color. I did see that the pictures on the FCC website say SPRINT on a gunmetal grey Treo 600, but some of the other pictures are silver.

Not sure, but I would not trust Sprint's judgement with the color. Most of their phones are silver anyways (even the Treo 300).
    on that same thread there is an attached jpg from the inter works of Sprint that clearly shows the darker unit. read on

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=3
    the one that shows up for me to buy as soon as possible.
    I would prefer the gunmetal, however I am with speclcajun in going for the first available.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Well, hopefuly this article with attached photo is the definitive answer...Sprint's version is dark grey/black!

I like the keyboard of the metallic black too, as it's easier to see the letters during the day...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5765

http://www.palminfocenter.com/ss.asp?f=treo600_cdma_l.jpg

###
    Considering that every picture we've seen has been of a pre-production model, there is no definitive answer yet. The first pictures to float around were all silver. Then we heard that every working prototype or test unit was grey/black. Then we heard that GSM/GPRS will be silver and CDMA will be grey/black. Not many people know for sure what will happen.

The bottom line for me is that I don't care which color it is. I'm getting the CDMA model and as long as it works, silver vs. grey/black isn't an issue. It's not like it's grey vs. hot pink.
    I like the black. It does seem more serious and professional than the silver. But the color doesn't really matter to me as I will have it in some sort of protective case anyway.

One question though ... why do some of the pictures show a bulge on the top (earpiece?) and some do not? It would seem that this bulge would make the phone uncomfortable ... but I am not sure. Maybe you wouldn't be able to feel it. Ah well, guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Originally posted by Llynx
    I like the black. It does seem more serious and professional than the silver. But the color doesn't really matter to me as I will have it in some sort of protective case anyway.

One question though ... why do some of the pictures show a bulge on the top (earpiece?) and some do not? It would seem that this bulge would make the phone uncomfortable ... but I am not sure. Maybe you wouldn't be able to feel it. Ah well, guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Word has it that the bulge is on the CDMA model and not the GSM model. No one's sure what it's for.
    Originally posted by stubbe
    ...The Treo is a productivity machine, not a fashion gadget.

I may switch carriers just because of that... Which leads me to the next question: Is there a huge difference in speed between GPRS and CDMA? But we can leave that for another repeat forum. Right now I would love to know what you all think about the color issue. Anyone agree? Should I not make it this big of a deal?

Thanks in advance.
    Personally, I am waiting for the limited edition flame and onyx colors. Oh wait, isn't this the Gameboy Advance forum?

Seriously, not getting a phone because it doesn't look the way you want it to look is one step removed from getting a phone because it DOES look the way you want (i.e. choosing it for fashion over function). If it were neon pink (he says, staring at a garish post-it (TM) note sitting on his desk), you might have a point, but I don't find either color particularly objectionable. I don't have a big problem with the fake metal look, so long as the paint does not flake.

As for speed, that was the deciding factor in my staying with SP***T. I have never used a GPRS network, but I have heard it is far slower for data transfer, which is a shame, as I would love a world phone with switchable sim card (perfect for my long drives from Tennessee to Norway... A helluva commute, but the scenery is incredible).

P.S. Take everything I say with a grain of salt and 2 shots of tequila, lemon optional.
    Regardless I agree with the above. However, I will say that id does appear if sprint is try to make all of its top of the line phones silverish. Sort a brand, seemingly. However, sprint I think tends to be the gadgeteers choice in providers, where AT&T seems to have more pull over the "professionals." IE people who work in something very boring like tax law.
    Tomato, potatoe.

Originally posted by kwsmith2
    Regardless I agree with the above. However, I will say that id does appear if sprint is try to make all of its top of the line phones silverish. Sort a brand, seemingly. However, sprint I think tends to be the gadgeteers choice in providers, where AT&T seems to have more pull over the "professionals." IE people who work in something very boring like tax law.
    Good points about branding and demographics. I had never really made the connection about Sprint being the geeks' provider of choice, but it makes sense. Geeks are traditionally do-it-yourselfers who are more likely to put up with clueless/unhelpful customer service reps (although, in fairness, I should mention that I have been lucky enough to get some some very good Sprint CS Reps on occasion; luck of the draw) as long as they get a technically superior product. Corprorate-types would be less likely to put up with the sort of CS BS that Sprint is famous for giving.

---
    All opinions expressed are my own. Anyone, other than myself, expressing opinions is, therefore, infringing on my implicit copyrights. You will get a nasty note from my attorneys and no dessert... SCO ain't got nothing on me.
    Originally posted by guessed
    Tomato, potatoe.

Good points about branding and demographics. I had never really made the connection about Sprint being the geeks' provider of choice, but it makes sense. Geeks are traditionally do-it-yourselfers who are more likely to put up with clueless/unhelpful customer service reps (although, in fairness, I should mention that I have been lucky enough to get some some very good Sprint CS Reps on occasion; luck of the draw) as long as they get a technically superior product. Corprorate-types would be less likely to put up with the sort of CS BS that Sprint is famous for giving.

---
    All opinions expressed are my own. Anyone, other than myself, expressing opinions is, therefore, infringing on my implicit copyrights. You will get a nasty note from my attorneys and no dessert... SCO ain't got nothing on me.
    Geek, you're calling me a geek?! How dare you! Oh wait, my Treo's ringing with the Transformers theme song, then I'm going to use it to control my PC at home and check on some music downloads, then get back to reading my A+ exam guide... Oh no, it's true!!!!
    you know those kind of earbud headphones that stick inside your ear? I think that is what the bulge is for, so you can hear better without having to smash the phone against your head. My Kyo 6035 goes the other way. It has like a divot/dimple where the ear piece is and a lot of time in hard to hear situations I press the phone hard against my head and the off button gets hit by my cheekbone
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    you know those kind of earbud headphones that stick inside your ear? I think that is what the bulge is for, so you can hear better without having to smash the phone against your head. My Kyo 6035 goes the other way. It has like a divot/dimple where the ear piece is and a lot of time in hard to hear situations I press the phone hard against my head and the off button gets hit by my cheekbone
    If that's what it's for, why would the CDMA model have it and not GSM? I would think the GSM users out the would like to hear as much as CDMA people.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Geek, you're calling me a geek?! How dare you! Oh wait, my Treo's ringing with the Transformers theme song, then I'm going to use it to control my PC at home and check on some music downloads, then get back to reading my A+ exam guide... Oh no, it's true!!!!

LOL ... how about the picture caller ID that shows Tweetie Bird when my husband calls me and Attila The HUN when it's my mother-in-law ... hehehe
    Originally posted by Llynx

LOL ... how about the picture caller ID that shows Tweetie Bird when my husband calls me and Attila The HUN when it's my mother-in-law ... hehehe
    HAHAHA!
    Originally posted by stubbe
    I am a current Treo 300 owner and frankly, I can't live without it. While going through several postings today, I found out that Sprint's Treo 600 will be a silver color. I was thoroughly dissapointed at this piece of news! I think the silver color looks cheesy, its fake paint almost childish looking (almost like a toy), while the black metallic color seems more appropriate for business, more professional, and especially classic and subdued.

Frankly, I am tired of all these new cellphones looking like fake metal. At least the Motorla v60 is made out of an aluminum which seems "real"! There's a reason why Blackberries are dark colored and have been like that forever. It's because research must have reflected that business people prefer the subdued, unflashy phone colors such as black (this is my own assumption, though I am fairly confident of it). The Treo is a productivity machine, not a fashion gadget.

I may switch carriers just because of that. Which leads me to the next question: Is there a huge difference in speed between GPRS and CDMA? But we can leave that for another repeat forum. Right now I would love to know what you all think about the color issue. Anyone agree? Should I not make it this big of a deal?

Thanks in advance.
    You are in luck. The Sprint Treo 600 is the darker gun metal grey. I agree with you that the darker Treo looks better.

The European Orange GSM phone however is also the Dark Gun metal Grey.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    stubbe

I have a Treo 180 with bluish metallic color now. It is a form follows function answer for me. I'll go with black.

Color screens always look better in a black frame. This fact alone wins. The custom color idea is good marketing and can help to identify your device in a room full of like devices (enter the the laptop problem we have here at work - we let our emplyees customize with stickers, etc). I can see my wife's Treo 600 being grabbed in place of mine as I run out the door... if they looked the same.

For the uber device Treo 600 and beyond I would go with a black enclosure (around the screen minimum) for all, then some other way to customize the device for type of phone or owner. Any ideas on this?

two tone case maybe, id tag or marking, some type of screen display. I dunno, just thinking aloud.

I will be looking at a Treo 600 with TMobile GSM/GPRS service... and hopefully a nice existing Treo owner incentive trade up deal.:shortcut: