1.    #1  
    I have searched this board, read the Treo manual, spent time with the T-Mobile Level II Tech, and read what I could read about various software on Handango, but can't clearly find the simple lock that I want:

All I want is something that will automatically lock the entire treo after x seconds of inactivity, or whenever I close the lid (and stay locked through a soft reset). This type of lock seems to be standard on simple cell phones - I would like to be able to do the same with my treo. Not deal with encoding specific fields or entries for security, not call up and tap a security screen that says "lock and turn off" to lock the Treo (that IS available).

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    PDA Defense is the product you want. It does what you want
    without and negative effect. It will let you answer a phone call even when locked. It also will allow you to optionally specify the number of unlock attempts that can be made. If someone exceeds the max attempts it will automatically perform a hard reset and wipe the unit's data. It's an application that I cannot live without anymore.

Sorry I don't have the url but it should be easy to find I think.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much, mddmx (a rapping doctor?). I am going to try out PDADefense and TealLock and see which features I like best and which causes least interference with my apps. I'm glad you mentioned it allows incoming phone calls, as PDADefense's web site doesn't explicitliy state it is compatible with Treos.

Thanks again.
    Check out easylock too.

Dan.
    I really like GridLock. It's available for free. (If you pay $10, then it will display a customizable message when locked -- such as, "If lost, call ..."

With Gridlock you use the stylus (or finger) to draw a pattern on the screen instead of typing on the keyboard. I've found this to be very quick and easy.

Also, it can be set to lock after a certain interval, or to lock upon closing. (Which may or may not do what you want.)

It can also be set to wipe the device clean if too many wrong entries are attempted.

It's available for download at:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/gridlock.shtml
    Originally posted by mddmx
    PDA Defense is the product you want. It does what you want
    without and negative effect. It will let you answer a phone call even when locked. It also will allow you to optionally specify the number of unlock attempts that can be made. If someone exceeds the max attempts it will automatically perform a hard reset and wipe the unit's data. It's an application that I cannot live without anymore.

Sorry I don't have the url but it should be easy to find I think.
    Haven't tried this one, but I'm checking out AutoLock which also allows phone calls to be answered; but the unlock keypad UI appears, so if you want to go PDA while talking on a cell call you still have to enter the unlock code to continue. Apparently AL doesn't recognize the Treo (270) cell phone, only PDA function. This is probably a good security feature, though can be annoying to deal with.

Wondering how this specifically compares to PDA Defence as I am still in the trial period on AL.
    talking about locks. here's the ultimate one. msafe
    you can lock your treo remotely by sending an sms. absolutely cool.
    Does any of these apps prevent from accidently turn off wireless mode with power button ?
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
    Just downloaded mSafe and did the install--seems to work fine and does just what I need (not locked unless I send a message or the radio is turned off).
    dose it not let you auto lock with password in security ??
    It looks like msafe works with the existing security app in your Treo. So if you set it up to autolock it will ask for the standard password. I'm not satisfied with this so I'm going to look for something with encryption.

I'm looking for a security app that has encryption that will allow alerts and snappermail to work properly. Any ideas? PDA Defense keeps catching Snappermail trying to get my mail.
    I have tried every one of the apps mentioned in this thread and have not been able to get a single one to work correctly on a treo 300 so that I could answer incoming calls when the phone was locked. PDA Defense locked up. Teal Lock wouldn't acknowledge the incoming call, etc. etc.

If anyone has actually, for themselves - not just heard from someone else - gotten one of these apps to work correctly on a treo 300, please let me know which one. Again, I don't want hearsay or a restatement of the software makers claims. I am looking for actual first-hand experience only.
    I checked with the mSafe guys. They are working on a T600 version right now. The new version will include the ability to post a "Please contact if found..." screen. This will be the solution for me.

-DT
    This seems to support my experience that these don't really work on the Treo 300.
    Last edited by socomon; 12/29/2003 at 10:30 AM.