1.    #1  
    Ever since I got my Treo 300, I have been getting a fast busy signal almost every time I connect to Vision. Sometimes it is right away, sometimes it is after a few minutes and other times longer.

Occasionally it will happen as I am connecting to Vision, prompting an error message that the network is not available or data is not enabled and error code 0X1102.

I have called Sprint COUNTLESS times. Every time it is the same thing--Voice tells me it is a Data problem; Data tells me it is a Voice problem. I get transferred back and forth, and get no answers.

They have had me update the PRL, turn off roaming, etc, all to no avail.

The result is that the device and service are essentially useless. Sometimes Vision keeps working with the busy signal; other times it just sort of locks up.

I know others have had the same problem.

Has ANYONE had more luck solving this problem?

I am about to cancel this service and possibly open a case with the Public Service Commission. Sprint clearly seems to be unable to provide the service they have advertised here.

ME
    Originally posted by MikeElmendorf
    Ever since I got my Treo 300, I have been getting a fast busy signal almost every time I connect to Vision. Sometimes it is right away, sometimes it is after a few minutes and other times longer.

Occasionally it will happen as I am connecting to Vision, prompting an error message that the network is not available or data is not enabled and error code 0X1102.

I have called Sprint COUNTLESS times. Every time it is the same thing--Voice tells me it is a Data problem; Data tells me it is a Voice problem. I get transferred back and forth, and get no answers.

The result is that the device and service are essentially useless. Sometimes Vision keeps working with the busy signal; other times it just sort of locks up.

I am about to cancel this service and possibly open a case with the Public Service Commission. Sprint clearly seems to be unable to provide the service they have advertised here.

ME
    I don't ever get a busy signal, but I get the 0x1102 fairly often, maybe one out of four attempts to connect. It's a data problem, not voice. Updating PRLs and dealing with roaming has nothing to do with it. You can't use Vision when roaming, and the PRL controls the towers you'll roam on, so it's irrelevant. The errors are just coming from too much congestion on Vision in your area. There's really nothing they can do except to add more capacity to the network in your area.
    I'd have to agree with letsgoflyers81. I get the same error here in Rochester NY. But if you wait 5-10 seconds and retry.. you should be able to connect.

But since we are on the subject... does anyone know if T-Mobile has a similar trouble? I've been debating on switching to T-Mobile when the Treo 600 comes out.
    Originally posted by NMprofessional
    I'd have to agree with letsgoflyers81. I get the same error here in Rochester NY. But if you wait 5-10 seconds and retry.. you should be able to connect.

But since we are on the subject... does anyone know if T-Mobile has a similar trouble? I've been debating on switching to T-Mobile when the Treo 600 comes out.
    If you don't get much a response about T-Mobile here, try www.howardforums.com. Any problems with their GPRS would happen on any GPRS phone so anyone there could tell you.
    Originally posted by NMprofessional
    ... does anyone know if T-Mobile has a similar trouble? I've been debating on switching to T-Mobile when the Treo 600 comes out.
    I have no problems with TMO data, except for very rare "Blazer cannot load this page" errors, which are easily overcome with a page reload, or going back a page and trying again. I haven't experimented much with other browsers (Xiino & Eudora a little bit), but the little time I've spent with them have given me no errors.
    Originally posted by MikeElmendorf

ME
    I spent an hour in Amsterdam NY yesterday and got the fast busy everytime I tried to connect to data on my 300. It took a few tries to connecto to data but the busy remains till I make a voice call. I was in a 4 bar signal area. When I got out of Amsterdam and Albany NY area the busy signal problem went away. I do not get the busy very often in my home area in Fairfield county CT, only a few times. I wonder when and if this problem will be fixed in the 300 and if it will carry over to the 600. If this paroblem does carry over to the 600, I will lose a lot of faith in Handspring and Sprint.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

I spent an hour in Amsterdam NY yesterday and got the fast busy everytime I tried to connect to data on my 300. It took a few tries to connecto to data but the busy remains till I make a voice call. I was in a 4 bar signal area. When I got out of Amsterdam and Albany NY area the busy signal problem went away. I do not get the busy very often in my home area in Fairfield county CT, only a few times. I wonder when and if this problem will be fixed in the 300 and if it will carry over to the 600. If this paroblem does carry over to the 600, I will lose a lot of faith in Handspring and Sprint.
    Your problem has nothing to do with the Treo. Getting a 600 won't have any effect. It's a matter of the Vision network being so congested that you couldn't connect. You would have gotten that with any Vision enabled phone. Blame Sprint, not Handspring.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Your problem has nothing to do with the Treo. Getting a 600 won't have any effect. It's a matter of the Vision network being so congested that you couldn't connect. You would have gotten that with any Vision enabled phone. Blame Sprint, not Handspring.
    I had a Sanyo 4900 and do not remember ever getting a busy signal in the earpiece when Sprint's network was congested. What other Sprint phones have this problem other than the Treo?

I had a Sanyo 4900 and do not remember ever getting a busy signal in the earpiece when Sprint's network was congested. What other Sprint phones have this problem other than the Treo?
    I've never gotten an audible busy signal. When the network is busy, I'll get the 0x1102 error. The two other phones on my account are an A500 and 4900. Both of them get it too when the network is too congested. It's possible that the Treo is unique that there's an audible busy signal (although I've never heard one) but the fact that you can't connect to Vision isn't the Treo's fault, it just alerts you to the problem differently than other phones.
    I find that the reception on my Sanyo 6400 phone is a little better than on my Treo 300. I get 4 bars consistently on my Sanyo 6400 in my home, but only 3 bars on my Treo300. And the battery life is much much better on my Sanyo 6400.
    Originally posted by rarebird
    I find that the reception on my Sanyo 6400 phone is a little better than on my Treo 300. I get 4 bars consistently on my Sanyo 6400 in my home, but only 3 bars on my Treo300. And the battery life is much much better on my Sanyo 6400.
    Now you're talking apples and oranges. The Sanyo 6400 and 4900 are some of the best Sprint phones EVER with regards to reception. But reception means nothing if the network is busy. It doesn't matter how fast the modem in your computer is if you call your ISP and get a busy signal, does it?

Besides, never go by the bars on your phone. Sanyo uses an algorithm to get their signal meter that's different than other companies. For that reason, for identical reception, Sanyos usually show one bar higher. There are other ways to test true reception.

Battery life is completely different as well. The 6400 has a tiny black and white screen, a relatively slow CPU and doesn't do 10% of what the Treo 300 can do. You can't compare the battery life between the two.

I've never gotten an audible busy signal. When the network is busy, I'll get the 0x1102 error. The two other phones on my account are an A500 and 4900. Both of them get it too when the network is too congested. It's possible that the Treo is unique that there's an audible busy signal (although I've never heard one) but the fact that you can't connect to Vision isn't the Treo's fault, it just alerts you to the problem differently than other phones.
    Do you have a Treo 300 or 270? Since you've never gotten the busy signal you don't know how annoying it is. I get the 0x1102 error too but in certain locations I've been to I get the fast busy when the Treo can't connect. I don't think that the fast busy signal was intended by design from Handspring. It is a bug IMO and I wish it could be fixed with s/w update. Like I said before, if the fast busy carries over to the 600 I'll lose faith in Handspring and Sprint.

Do you have a Treo 300 or 270? Since you've never gotten the busy signal you don't know how annoying it is. I get the 0x1102 error too but in certain locations I've been to I get the fast busy when the Treo can't connect. I don't think that the fast busy signal was intended by design from Handspring. It is a bug IMO and I wish it could be fixed with s/w update. Like I said before, if the fast busy carries over to the 600 I'll lose faith in Handspring and Sprint.
    I have the 300. If I had the 270, I'd have GSM/GPRS instead of Sprint and Vision and it would be totally different. So like I said, I never got the busy signal so I don't know. But if it's a matter of network congestion, again, it's not Handspring's fault. You would "lose faith" in Handspring because their phone gives you a busy signal when the network is busy?

I have the 300. If I had the 270, I'd have GSM/GPRS instead of Sprint and Vision and it would be totally different. So like I said, I never got the busy signal so I don't know. But if it's a matter of network congestion, again, it's not Handspring's fault. You would "lose faith" in Handspring because their phone gives you a busy signal when the network is busy?
    Yes I would lose faith because I do not think the fast busy signal was intended by Handspring to be the alert to tell the user that there is a data network congestion. A pop up errror message should be used. What's annoying is that the fast busy does not go away, even after the network is "un-congested", leaving you wondering what the heck is wrong with the phone.
  15.    #15  
    The Sprint store was able to shed some light. Apparently there is a known network problem in the Capital Region of New York that is causing this issue with all sorts of Sprint Vision products. Known to the store--apparently NOT known by Customer Service.

They have a "ticket" in on it, but have heard nothing back and have no idea when it will be fixed.

So, I am now holding with Sprint to work on canceling my service. I only use the Treo for data, and with this problem, it is completely worthless. I would be just as well off going back to my Palm M505.

Unless they can give me a very definitive response as to when this problem will be corrected, that's the end of Sprint.
    Yes, I have addressed the issues with our Engineering department which is looking into the cause of this. I have given them a Treo to test, I sat down them most of the morning and I should hear something very soon. I will keep you posted on any changes.

I'll post any info I receive to this board.
    Here's a huge bump.

I have a couple of friends with Treo 300s who have had or are having this problem or something very much like it -- they randomly find that the phone is emitting a busy signal. It seems like the Phone app is screwing up somehow as the only way to get the busy signal to stop is to hang up on a call ...which requires, you know, placing a call (they usually call voicemail). One of them feels that the busy signal happens when they fail to connect to Vision, though, so maybe it is the same as the problem the original poster was having.

The frustrating thing about the busy signal is that my friends only seem to notice that it is happening when they pull it out of their pockets, not when they're actually trying to connect to Vision. This means, or seems to mean, that they'll be missing calls or that the battery will be running down without their noticing.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this problem? Would software like TreoHelper be able to catch the busy signal and, like, reset the radio, or something? Any ideas? Bueller? Bueller?