1.    #1  
    I've got the Red Blink of Death, and I'm struggling trying to get rid of it. My battery is draining in less than 3 minutes, and now must always be tethered to a power source. It even drains without the radio on.

Different than many other posters, I've got it on my 270, and I've got it in areas of strong signal strength (T-Mobile, Albany NY area). I've tried several soft resets, and a hard reset, and I've still got the problem.

From what I've been able to learn from other posts, I don't have any software that is a known drainer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...pbryon
    Same problem here with my 270 since last week. I've just started reading about this problem. There are so many posts about it in the 300 forum that I'm a little lost. Where did you find out which apps are known drainers?
  3.    #3  
    Drainers might be the wrong word. TreoAlertMgr and the 300 Updater are the ones that I saw most mentioned in conjunction with the red blink of death. Both, I think, are 300 specific programs, and I'm not using them on my 270.
    My 270 with TMo has been doing this for about 2 months. I leave work with a full charge (270 sitting in cradle all day), and make a call on the way home. Five minutes later, I'm getting the message that states I need to charge my Treo ASAP. Then dead within 30 seconds. Makes this thing useless to me as a phone. It will, however, last quite a while with wireless mode off, and even with it on, as long as I'm not actively making/receiving calls. I've resisted posting to TC about this because, like Mol, I've only seen this problem discussed concerning 300s.

I'm worried that I'll end up with the same problem with the 600, with it's non-replaceable battery. I really want the 600, but my 270's battery issues make me a little gun shy when it comes to the 600.

I'm also experiencing really bad connections at times, but am reluctant to apply the radio patch from HS as the support site says:

Symptoms of the "no flip" issue: when you turn on your Treo communicator, you do not see the "flip" dialog indicating that it's searching for a network connection, and the top bar in Speed Dial view says "Network search" where it normally would display the network name.

I do get Mr. Flip, but after finally connecting, my service is marginal at best, with "No Service - SOS only" appearing at the top when I lose service.

Anyone with thoughts on either of these two (possibly connected) problems?
  5.    #5  
    Mol, Tommy--

Do either of you have International Dialing activated through T-Mobile. This problem really started to assert itself for me shortly after I activated that feature for a trip to England. I realized the error of my ways once I got there--the service kept flipping between several available providers, and draining the battery. But I've had the problem since I've gotten back, and several resets, both soft and hard, have not had an effect.

I'm considering finding a GSM phone on eBay or somewhere else, since it really does make the unit useless as a phone. And, like you Tommy, it makes me a bit more hesitant about the 600. But I'd prefer to not go back to two devices.
    Originally posted by pbryon
    Do either of you have International Dialing activated through T-Mobile. This problem really started to assert itself for me shortly after I activated that feature for a trip to England. I realized the error of my ways once I got there--the service kept flipping between several available providers, and draining the battery. But I've had the problem since I've gotten back, and several resets, both soft and hard, have not had an effect.
    pbryon,

I'll have to admit my ignorance, I wasn't aware of international dialing activation. I'll contact TMO and see if that is activated on my account, although I doubt it, since I didn't even know it existed. So you still have the problem, right? Can you have TMO disable that feature? Do you think that would help?

More info on my situation (Mol, is this similar for you?): when my phone shows "No Service - SOS only", I can go into Options/Select Network, and it will often find TMO and AT&T as available carriers. Just for grins, I tried selecting AT&T a time or two, and it always tells me cannot register with network. (No surprise there, with TMO also in the list.) When I choose TMO, it *usually* will connect. However, my signal stays iffy, at best. Then, if the signal does hold, my call won't last more than five minutes (battery drain). I took a look at the radio reset app again on the HS website. It specifically states: This utility will not help you if the network status bar says "No service" or "No service - SOS Only."

I've tried hard and soft resets, with nothing seeming to help.

Any more ideas for us?
  7.    #7  
    Just got off the phone with Handspring, who then put me in touch with T-Mobile. They're sending me a new (refurb) unit. I should have done this a month ago. Hopefully the new one (when it arrives) will be problem-free.
    Originally posted by pbryon
    Just got off the phone with Handspring, who then put me in touch with T-Mobile. They're sending me a new (refurb) unit. I should have done this a month ago. Hopefully the new one (when it arrives) will be problem-free.
    Will this work for me? I purchased my 270 from Handspring's website. Would TMO even consider helping me, since I didn't buy it directly from them? I considered calling HS, but didn't want to get charged. My Treo is the replacement they sent me back in late November of 2002; as far as I know it's out of warranty. Will HS charge me just to talk to them and figure out if they'll replace it free of charge?
    pbryon,

I just got off the line with HS customer support, who, after a few tests, confirmed that my battery is a dud. They told me no charge for the call, and transferred me to TMO so that I can get a replacement unit arranged to be shipped. I should have it in a few days.

THANKS!
    Tommy
    I'm in France with SFR...they don't even know what a Treo is.

I'm going to send it back to the European HS support partner. It's going to be my 3rd replacement.

Oh well.
  11.    #11  
    Mine held a charge last night! Amazing....its almost as if it knew that I had gotten its replacement on the way.
    I just recently activated my Treo 180 for an international service as I travelled to the Phil. last week. When I got there I was fine for about a day until it shut itself down.

I could not turn it on until I connect to my charger.

Now I am back here in the US, I still would experience occasional shut down but not lost of power but lost of data as if I did a hard reset. Anybody else having the similar issues.
    Got my replacement 270 from TMO yesterday. It appears brand new -- if it's not, it is a really good refurb! I choose the free shipping option, rather than pay extra for 2 day delivery. Man, a week without, and I was having severe withdrawal symptoms!