Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treo 600 GSM

I spent the last half hour shmoozing with a very high source at HS... Here is what we know...

1) Hardware build is completed on 90% of the units, and they will flash the final software based on carrier specifications right before it ships.

2) The first domestic GSM carrier will be Cingular followed by At&T, T-Mobile's status is as of yet unconfirmed (however, the unit will be available unlocked and will work with any GSM/GPRS carrier).

3) October 10th is the magic day (and it should be available retail at that point).

4) The screen that "Bleedingedge" had IS an older prototype and the new screens will perform "much better" than initial prototypes in direct sunlight. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t35673/s.html

5) They have tested High res screens for the 600 and CHOSE to go with the current res because it improved battery life > 35%.

6) The Audio configuration will allow for both voice dialing and, if the software is developed, call recording.

7) All GSM units WILL be shipped with an MP3 player called "pocket tunes" bundled.

8) It will be priced under $500 US.

9) Here is how the "upgrade" will work: Handspring will allow current users of treo (180 or higher) to enter the Serial on the handspring website to get a discount (she couldn't tell me how much). THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR THE FIRST 3 WEEKS FOLLOWING RELEASE.

10) The 600 will ship with the following contents:
    Treo 600 (Palm OS is 5.2.1)
    Rapid Charger
    Printed Manual
    Headset
    Software CD
    Leather Belt Case (see link for picture)
    http://members.aol.com/blacksroogy/T...reo600Case.jpg

(Also, I've held it, its quite a bit heavier than the T270)

There is lots of other stuff, but I have to get back to work..... if there are further questions, please let me know.

-Mike
    Last edited by WeeBitObsessed; 09/02/2003 at 07:53 PM.
    I thought I would poke around the local AT&T WS stores here in the DC area to see what I might find. Several store reps stated that they would be selling the 600, but just didn't know when. Of note, each time they made it clear that they could configure one if I got it from some other channel. I stated I was capable of transferring the SIM, but they said they would configure it for AT&T. They may alredy have, or have been told about, AT&T specific software.

This plus WeeBit's item on flashing per carrier probably indicates that the 600 has flash ROM.
    Doug
  3. purpleX
    >>>>4) The screen that "Bleedingedge" had IS an older prototype and the new screens will perform "much better" than initial prototypes in direct sunlight. http://discussion.treocentral.com/t.../-t35673/s.html>>>

nope, all transreflective behave like what you see in the picture. (ie. turns very dark under the sun) HS can add filter and change reflectivity, but it won't change much. The best out door transrelfective performance will still be dysmal.

Nobody is making 160by160 semi-transreflective if that is what they are trying to imply.

>>>5) They have tested High res screens for the 600 and CHOSE to go with the current res because it improved battery life > 35%.>>>

All advance phone has bigger screen and smaller battery than 600, and most performs longer than treo 600. In fact there is almost no phone in the market come with 3000mAh battery except treo 600.

The Samsung new 500 will have 320by320 and with far smaller battery, and performs in the range of treo 600. Hell even the old gas guzzler XDA uses up about as much power as treo 600. They don't have the technical capability that's what.

>>>6) The Audio configuration will allow for both voice dialing and, if the software is developed, call recording.>>>

Did you ask if they know any company that will release such apps within 3 months after treo launch? otherwise, treo600 has the hardware capability to control the space station, once configured properly and a software is developed. (ie. as if...)
    That's cool info WeeBitObsessed. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Did they say anything about Verizon as a carrier?
    Hey--great to hear about the release date! I'm not quite as technically literate as most everyone on this site, but my question for you is how Sprint fits into the picture. Are you saying the Sprint will not be a chosen carrier for the Treo 600? Or just that other carriers may get the phone first?
  7.    #7  
    The Sprint and Verizon networks are CDMA and I didn't really
    discuss that with them at all.

However, sprint will be coming out in a similar time frame, it a slightly different phone though (see any of the posts from the past few months.)

Also, Purple X, although seemingly highly knowledgeable, is mean
    yeah, purpleX is a pain in the arse with nothing better to do than hang out on this board and slam other people. kind of sad.
    mhorts
  9.    #9  
    As far as they were saying, there are no plans to make the T600 available for verizon in the near term.

Also, PurpleX
    >>>>Did you ask if they know any company that will release such apps within 3 months after treo launch? otherwise, treo600 has the hardware capability to control the space station, once configured properly and a software is developed. (ie. as if...)
    I asked and they said they were aware of some developers who were working on these apps, bu they didn't have a timeframe

They did mention, however, that the beta testing base consisted of HS employees, carrier testers, and faily large goup of developers, so, according to them, there sould be a good deal of software available at or soon after launch.
  10.    #10  
    If the link above didn't work, here is a picture of the belt case that will be shipping with the 600.

http://members.aol.com/blacksroogy/T...reo600Case.jpg
    Originally posted by purpleX
    [BAll advance phone has bigger screen and smaller battery than 600, and most performs longer than treo 600. In fact there is almost no phone in the market come with 3000mAh battery except treo 600.

The Samsung new 500 will have 320by320 and with far smaller battery, and performs in the range of treo 600. Hell even the old gas guzzler XDA uses up about as much power as treo 600. They don't have the technical capability that's what.
    [/B]
    First, the 600 battery is 1800, if I remember correctly. Second, the new 500 will have 160x160, IMO. The 320x320 stuff is a giant misunderstanding.
    Originally posted by mhorts
    yeah, purpleX is a pain in the arse with nothing better to do than hang out on this board and slam other people. kind of sad.
    Even if that's what you think, don't do the same and slam him. Thank you.
    WeeBitObsessed:

Thanks a lot for the info!

Is the $500 price the carrier subsidized price or for the unlocked version?

I have T-Mobile now and I would like to be able to keep using them, if they are indeed last (if at all) to adopt the 600.
    Originally posted by mhorts
    Now I'm not saying I disagree with this comment, but how come every "touchy" remark vs. Jake is considered to be a personal attack and people can write whatever they want about purpleX?
    So you are saying that it is absolutely impossible for the 600 to ship with a considerably better screen than we saw in the pictures. Since you're so sure and quick to contradict, if you turn out to be wrong at shipping time, I expect you to come on here just as quickly and admit that you were wrong.
  16.    #16  
    Hey Silver,

The $500 price tag is before carrier rebates, but there might not be any great rebates for a while accrd. to HS...

So it looks like those of us who are really looking forward will still have to pay the "early adopter tax"
    Great info, WeeBit! Thanks. Interesting that they're only going to offer the upgrade discount for 3 weeks. I wonder if that applies to the Sprint version also.

I'm looking forward to the Palm Space Station app, purpleX. I think you will really change people's opinions of you if you can pull this application off. If you can't, then I guess we'll be disappointed as usual, and only your PPC version will be available.
  18.    #18  
    I sure do wish I had a pocket PC so I could finally remotely control the world!

As far as how the rebates would apply to Sprint.. I dont think HS is differentiating between CDMA and GSM, they say that all they will need is a serial, she made it seem as if that wouldn't be carrier specific
    Originally posted by purpleX

>>>5) They have tested High res screens for the 600 and CHOSE to go with the current res because it improved battery life > 35%.>>>

All advance phone has bigger screen and smaller battery than 600, and most performs longer than treo 600. In fact there is almost no phone in the market come with 3000mAh battery except treo 600.

Yeah, PurpleX, we should all agree that while everyone and their uncle is able to hire the technical knowhow to do things, Handspring has a congenital defect that makes that just never possible.

We all know that these guys couldn't do anything like create the first successful PDA ever, one that arguably created this sector or 1.5 years ago create the most functional and until recently virtually unchallenged phone/PDA combination on the market (albeit with worse than crappy construction). Sure, we all know that they are short on innovation and technical knowhow.

So, since we all agree on this, can we stop harping on it and discuss other facts that are not so well-established?
    Re: Oct 10th. Cinular will have it at this time or just the handspring web site? Im on t-mobile and would probaly by an unlocked vertion.

$500 pre contract? Who need a contract? :-)

I so hope the screen is better than the recent pictures (they were a real downer) we have seec. Please, Pretty please.

Thanks for the info.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast