Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    I'd have to disagree.... I too am used to the QWERTY layout. Even though the Treo required me to suddenly use my thumbs instead of fingers, I could easily do so without looking at the keyboard just because I already knew where the keys were from typing on regular keyboards. If it was in alphabetical order, I'd definately have to look at the thing to figure out where keys were... and I consider that a learning curve since it would take some time to get used to.
  2.    #142  
    I have a call with my contact at handspring again this evening, any specific questions any of you want me to ask her?

-Mike
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Here are some things I'd like to know:

- Any updates on T-Mobile status?

- Why the delay with T-Mobile?

- What are the chances Verizon would ever be a carrier?

- Why isn't Verizon a carrier?

- Does the 3 week time limit to the upgrade deal apply if I want to go with a carrier that does not sell the phone on Oct. 10? For example, if T-Mobile starts carrying it on Nov. 10, does that mean I'm out of luck with regard to the upgrade deal?

- Why did they put the headphone jack on the bottom?

- Why did they require a separate attachment for stereo headphones?
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    I have a call with my contact at handspring again this evening, any specific questions any of you want me to ask her?

-Mike
    Details on availabilty with ATTWS?

Which case will come with it (i.e., the horizontal one or the one with the clear plastic cover)?

Upgradeabilty to OS6 & Bluetooth?

Thanks!
    Please ask her about launch date of the Sprint version. Also are there functional differences between carrier versions (such as chat threading on one carrier treo, but not on another). Seems to me that I read that chat threading would not be on the Sprint version but -would- be on the others.

Thanks!
    That link that I posted a while back said 324 x 352 resolution. And just that. Its too bad its not working. It was a link with animation showing off the SGH-i500 and it did say 324 x 352 resolution without ever mentioning any resolution lower that that.

Yoyo
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed

Mike: Thanks very much for all of this info.

Could you ask if they are working on another version with a "hi-rez" 320X320 screen? As you can tell from these threads, the better screen and bluetooth are the two features that are woefully lacking as far as many people here are concerned.
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    I'd have to disagree.... I too am used to the QWERTY layout. Even though the Treo required me to suddenly use my thumbs instead of fingers, I could easily do so without looking at the keyboard just because I already knew where the keys were from typing on regular keyboards. If it was in alphabetical order, I'd definately have to look at the thing to figure out where keys were... and I consider that a learning curve since it would take some time to get used to.
    And I'll have to disagree with you. Since you do not type on a regular keyboard with your thumbs, you did in fact relearn how to type. Also, there is no way you can put out 30 wpm on a treo without looking at the keyboard. Touch typing allows you to "feel" which key is where because one given finger hits only a few keys. You can't do this on a treo, you must resort to hunt an peck.

As an example: try closing your eyes and typing "There once was a man from Nantuckett. His name was Zachary." on your treo and see how many errors you produce.
    I agree with the QWERTY. It's physically impossible to learn to touch type with thumbs only. One MUST hunt and peck in order to type this way, and knowing where the keys are by using a QWERTY layout makes it much easier.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    Touch typing allows you to "feel" which key is where because one given finger hits only a few keys. You can't do this on a treo, you must resort to hunt an peck.
    QWERTY hunt and peck once you've learned touch typing is very easy, because a huge part of it is visualizing the key arrangement. Doesn't matter if you use all fingers, your index finger, or your thumb.

It does slow you down a bit but I type about the same speed now on a thumb keyboard as when I first picked one up years ago (BlackBerry). So I don't think there is much of a learning curve. I just tried the Dom Perignon paragraph and it was 58 seconds, which works out to around 40wpm. That is considered pretty slow, sad to say.

http://fitaly.com/domperignon/domperignon3.htm

I've has ABCDE layout devices before and whew I never could type beyond like 5wpm. Though the same goes for QWERTY that is clamshell-sized, like the first WinCE devices. That in-between size gave me real problems.

I have a Poqet PC, and it's pretty awesome if you want to type quickly. Screen sucks, software sucks (DOS), but it runs on AAs and if you are nimble you can type at 90% full speed.

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/poqet_pc/
    I just want to buy one, asap, call sprint, and have them hook me up
    I dont want to have to wait for SPCS to "come out" with it, heck that will TAKE a month or so.. packaging, advertising(ha), and sending 1 unit to 10% of the stores to make us all crazy!

Ask if there will be a way to just GET one in my hot little hands. i.e. no providers
    Originally posted by mlarsen23
    Here are some things I'd like to know:

- What are the chances Verizon would ever be a carrier?

- Why isn't Verizon a carrier?

There is a possiblity that Verizon could become a carrier for the CDMA version (Sprint) but not at launch time. Beware though, to my knowledge their network doesn't support any capability to have the high speed always-on internet service that Sprint provides via Vision though. I know of no such Verizon service for any cell phone. Why? Because their upper mgmt lacks "vision". And is going to be left behind by the other carriers for this particular niche.
    Originally posted by Bob-C

There is a possiblity that Verizon could become a carrier for the CDMA version (Sprint) but not at launch time. Beware though, to my knowledge their network doesn't support any capability to have the high speed always-on internet service that Sprint provides via Vision though. I know of no such Verizon service for any cell phone. Why? Because their upper mgmt lacks "vision". And is going to be left behind by the other carriers for this particular niche.
    I thought Verizon's Express Network works just like Vision, it just gets billed differently. Was I wrong on that? Vision isn't really always on. You have to connect to it, and you can't receive phone calls when actively transferring data. I thought it was the same with Verizon's 1xRTT.
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

I would not make the trade between a hi res screen and battery life. I want as much battery life as possible.

One question though to all you "hi res" screen guys... why? What apps do you plan to run on your T600 that need a hi res screen? I could never image watching a viedo clip on a screen so small. Perhaps I am an atypical Treo user, but I really think the screen is fine.
    I favor longer battery life too but 320x320 would really be good because:

- Users of programs such as Acrobat Reader and SlidesToGo would benefit because in 160x160 PDF and PowerPoint presentations are unreadable without using the zoom feature on nearly every slide/page.

- Users such as PurpleX would benefit because they would be able to display sharper background images of Princess Leia and Counselor Troi.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 09/11/2003 at 03:25 PM.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

I thought Verizon's Express Network works just like Vision, it just gets billed differently. Was I wrong on that? Vision isn't really always on. You have to connect to it, and you can't receive phone calls when actively transferring data. I thought it was the same with Verizon's 1xRTT.

When I said "always on" I meant to say high speed data service such as Vision or GPRS. If Verizon has such a service, what product does it work with to provide internet access services comparable to the Treo line? I have a friend using the Kyocera via Verizon but he left me with the impression that his only internet option was dial up minutes. I could be mistaken.
    Originally posted by Bob-C

When I said "always on" I meant to say high speed data service such as Vision or GPRS. If Verizon has such a service, what product does it work with to provide internet access services comparable to the Treo line? I have a friend using the Kyocera via Verizon but he left me with the impression that his only internet option was dial up minutes. I could be mistaken.
    I was under the impression that Verizon's Express Network functioned the same was that Sprint's Vision does, but they charge differently. Last I heard they subtract from your minutes, unlike Sprint who goes by the amount of data you transfer. But whichever way they track your usage to bill you, the actual data functionality is pretty much the same. So it would be possible for the Treo 600 to work on the Express Network. It might not be able to get some customized aspects of it, like you can't do with the Treo on Vision, but still have internet access between 70-144 kbps.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

I was under the impression that Verizon's Express Network functioned the same was that Sprint's Vision does, but they charge differently. Last I heard they subtract from your minutes, unlike Sprint who goes by the amount of data you transfer. But whichever way they track your usage to bill you, the actual data functionality is pretty much the same. So it would be possible for the Treo 600 to work on the Express Network. It might not be able to get some customized aspects of it, like you can't do with the Treo on Vision, but still have internet access between 70-144 kbps.
    Ok, I just checked Verizon's website and see what you're talking about. Unfortunately it would give me no pricing info for the Express Network service. The kicker is I also live in Philly (How can u still root for the Flyers?!? Haven't they kicked all of us in the head enough to know better by now? I'm about ready to also toss my Birds tix after Monday night.)

I remember when my friend told me about the Kyocera he said his Internet access came from his minutes. I just assumed that he meant dialup since everyone else charges high speed by either MB or unlimited flat charge. Maybe he does have high speed. He also used to have Sidekick (HAHAHA!!!) though, so how much can that guy know?

I think that the 300 is incompatible altogether with Verizon's network. I remember that HS announced it was an exclsusive for Sprint's version of a CDMA network. I also recall reading that the 600 was going to be compatable with any CDMA network and that Verizon might resell it but not at launch. I also got the impression that Verizon would not discount the phone price for a 1 year activiation. This was when the 600 was first announced though so who knows what has changed since then.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Verizon$ $charges$ $like$ $Sprint$ $used$ $to$ $charge$ $for$ $the$ $Wireless$ $Web$ $but$ $it$'$s$ ''$high$ $speed$'' $like$ $Vision$. $The$ $Treo$ $300$ $won$'$t$ $work$ $on$ $Verizon$ $because$ $it$'$s$ $1900mhz$ $only$ $because$ $it$ $was$ $a$ $Sprint$ $exclusive$. $However$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$ $is$ $800$ $mhz$ $also$, $so$ $Verizon$ $CAN$ $support$. $Whether$ $they$ $choose$ $to$ $or$ $not$ $to$ $is$ $a$ $different$ $story$.
    Yeah I'm getting sick of the Flyers too, Clarke's an *****. And don't get me started on the Eagles, or Phillies for that matter.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 09/11/2003 at 04:25 PM.
    Verizon has two types of Express Network plans. One, designed for PDA's and PC Cards, is either unlimited or pay-by-the-megabyte. The other, designed for 2.5/3G phones, is a pay-by-the-minute plan. I know you can get the unlimited option on a Samsung i700 if you press them, but it's so expensive that I can't imagine doing it unless you were constantly using it as your primary internet connection. I suppose this might be available for a Treo 600 purchased from Handspring.
    That would be a dream come true if Verizon supported the 600. I don't know about Sprint's network but T-mo has coverage problems in places where Verizon cells still work. All in all Verizon has the best wireless coverage in the U.S.

Not to turn this into a sports thread, but I was at the game Sunday and in between booing the Eagles they put some of the Flyers on the big screen who were at the game and they got booed too! I think the city's patience has run out with every team but the Phils and I don't like baseball - yawn!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast