Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by ricochet
    I haven't heard of Sprint making this same type of option available, but at least the possibility is there. I was going to jump back to Sprint, but if T-Mo offers that same homepage for the 600, that will keep me a happy customer. If you ever lose (completely) your battery charge, and it gets wiped, you would just have to re-charge and turn it back on. The data would download from the website, and you'd be off and running. If neither Sprint nor T-Mo offer this, someone could make some change by starting a service....
    -ricochet
    WOW ... that would be AWESOME. I can always dream... (sigh) Or maybe Intellisync (you know the free version you can get through Yahoo??) can make a wireless version that you can access via your Yahoo/Blazer connection... Ahhh the possibilities. I do like having my contact and calendar info backed up to Yahoo (just in case my Outlook ever goes bye-bye).
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

I would not make the trade between a hi res screen and battery life. I want as much battery life as possible.

One question though to all you "hi res" screen guys... why? What apps do you plan to run on your T600 that need a hi res screen? I could never image watching a viedo clip on a screen so small. Perhaps I am an atypical Treo user, but I really think the screen is fine.
    I would make the trade off for a higher resolution. Then again, I'm rarely in any danger of loosing power on my current 270. The 270 is in its cradle every night, and I have a cradle at work.

Anyhow, Higher rez. Just because all the other devices have it and I don't want to keep reading about these stupid arguments that handspring is satan for even considering to bring out a 160 x 160 device in this day and age. Guys, it is called choice. Pick one and move on. Geez.

Spreadsheets, which I use on my device, would benefit from a 320 x 320, less side to side scrolling and more info on the screen.

Agendus, would benefit from a higher resolution. More of your calander/appointments on the screen.

These are my two main reasons.

Would I 320 x 320 screen garantee better viewing in sun light?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    *snip snip about the Sidekick "desktop" web interface*
    I'm (unfortunately) a Sidekick user as well. This particular screen that ricochet is talking about is actually run by Danger, the designer of the hardware device. Not likely to be available with any other device. After all, Volkswagen doesn't offer those bud vases for Hondas, do they? *winks*

I'm really anticipating official word from Tmobile about the Treo600. My contract is up at the end pf the month and I'm off that boat if they're not going to support it.
    I spend a fair amount of time reading ebooks and reviewing reference material on my Treo 300. Once you've used a hirez screen to do this, it's very difficult to go back. This puts me squarely in the camp of all the others who are thinking of going back to a two-device world. What I'm really hoping is that Palm will come out with a Tungsten W follow-on that picks up on the Treo 600's best features. It seems reasonable that they could do so by mid-2004 . . . [sigh]
    I haven't heard of Sprint making this same type of option available, but at least the possibility is there. I was going to jump back to Sprint, but if T-Mo offers that same homepage for the 600, that will keep me a happy customer. If you ever lose (completely) your battery charge, and it gets wiped, you would just have to re-charge and turn it back on. The data would download from the website, and you'd be off and running. If neither Sprint nor T-Mo offer this, someone could make some change by starting a service....
    I remember reading last spring about a partnership between HS and some British company (I think...I can't remember the name) that works with networks to offer over-air services. I believe customer hardware support, software sales and installation, and backups were all mentioned as potential over-air services that could arise from this partnership. I'm not sure how HS works into the equation, since they are not a network operator, but I am sure that they announced this business arrangement.
    http://www.samsung.com/Features/Tec...le/SGH-i500.htm

Ok look there, Silverado and all you other peeps who are having a hard time believing the SGH is not going to be high res. Sometimes I wonder how many people here post biased opinions about other smartphones. It seems like no matter how much proof that is given that the SGH is high res can really make people believe it will be high res. I feel like some people here think the Treo is the G-d of all smartphones and heaven forbid another smartphone released has a better screen then it or a better this or that. The Treo 600 is a great phone, but we can't I don't think people should just limit their minds to that because they have been with HS and their Treos since their release.

Update: Crap that link doesent work. Ahh well, if you want proof, call 1-800 SAMSUNG and the reps there will tell you it is high res since its listed like that on their computers.

Yoyo
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole
    i think the british company you mentioned is called airprime.
    Originally posted by YoYoman412

Ok look there, Silverado and all you other peeps who are having a hard time believing the SGH is not going to be high res. Sometimes I wonder how many people here post biased opinions about other smartphones. It seems like no matter how much proof that is given that the SGH is high res can really make people believe it will be high res. I feel like some people here think the Treo is the G-d of all smartphones and heaven forbid another smartphone released has a better screen then it or a better this or that. The Treo 600 is a great phone, but we can't I don't think people should just limit their minds to that because they have been with HS and their Treos since their release.

Update: Crap that link doesent work. Ahh well, if you want proof, call 1-800 SAMSUNG and the reps there will tell you it is high res since its listed like that on their computers.

Yoyo
    Question: did they just say hi-res0lution, or did they give numbers?

See this.

If I have the right phone, it says display: 162 x 176 pixels (324 x 352 support), TFT 65k Colour
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    frankly i think everyone should try it with an open mind b4 u decide to condem it. I love my treo 300 and i do admit u cannot read it in the car in the sum, I am sure an improvement is needed. however 4 those who think u r getting hi def. tv, without a large drop off in battery life, perhaps tech has nto caught up to us yet. Most of the units that I ahev looked at with really great resolation are either huge and/or heavy. Most high res. don't have thumkeys, they have either tuoch keys on the screen or have regualr tel. keys which are very hard 2 compse email with.

The reason why i did not go with a ms based unit in the 1st place was the fact that they r two cumbersome to carry and therefore, i would manage to not take it all of the time.

I do have an open mind and want 2 c it b4 i condem anything.

i beleive in the power of positive thinking, take care jay
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    frankly i think everyone should try it with an open mind b4 u decide to condem it. I love my treo 300 and i do admit u cannot read it in the car in the sum, I am sure an improvement is needed. however 4 those who think u r getting hi def. tv, without a large drop off in battery life, perhaps tech has nto caught up to us yet. Most of the units that I ahev looked at with really great resolation are either huge and/or heavy. Most high res. don't have thumkeys, they have either tuoch keys on the screen or have regualr tel. keys which are very hard 2 compse email with.

The reason why i did not go with a ms based unit in the 1st place was the fact that they r two cumbersome to carry and therefore, i would manage to not take it all of the time.

I do have an open mind and want 2 c it b4 i condem anything.

i beleive in the power of positive thinking, take care jay
    Wow, your post made me want to stab my own eyes out with doll-house silverware. It would be really neat if you could use some capitalization, a spell checker, and maybe even hire a proofreader.

Oh, and using "2" instead of "to" really only saves you one keystroke and is completely out of place in useful written communications. "b4" instead of "before" and "c" instead of "see" also fall into the "not useful" category.

I beg you to edit your post for clarity-sake.
    Just because a company calls a phone high res does not mean that it is 320x320.
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/1980.html
    so any other info off the phone call or can I just stop reading this thread?
    How many colors does the 600 have? I am pretty tired of the 256 colors in the 300.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    The 300 has 4,096 colors.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by mwylde
    How many colors does the 600 have? I am pretty tired of the 256 colors in the 300.
    Originally posted by YoYoman412

Yoyo
    YoYoman412:

I am not being biased when all I'm asking for are straight numbers from the manufacturer. Why do you call that bias? See what I wrote before about the lesser SPH-i500.
    Is the Treo 600 going to have OS 5 or OS 5.2? For some reason, the Treo 600 is always listed as running 0S 5, while the SGH i500 claims to have OS 5.2. Does anyone know if this is actually true, and if there's going to be a difference?
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    5.2. unless they changed it at the last minute
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft

I have had the same discussion on these boards before, so I don't want to beat a dead horse, but...

The linked layout is no different than the Treo's in that you can use both thumbs and hunt and peck and should be no slower for e-mail than a Treo keyboard once you are familiar with the layout, which should not take long since it is in alphabetical order, that is, you already know where the keys are.

On these mobile devices, or computers for that matter, there is no reason to continue to use a layout for the keys that was primarily designed so mechanical typewriters didn't get their parts stuck. But unlike a computer, where you might have learned to 'touch type' on old mechanical typewriters and therefore did not need to relearn any new style for the computer, you do not 'touch type' a QWERTY thumboard the same way you do a full sized keyboard, and so had to relearn how to type using just your thumbs, in hunt and peck style and still need to look at where your fingers go.

The benefit of abandoning the QWERTY layout is that you can pack the same or more keys in a thinner device without sacrificing accuracy. The original Treo series was, in my opinion, on the edge of being too small, and the new Treo, with its even smaller keyboard will be even more difficult to use, no matter what shape the key.
    Yes, there's no technical reason to keep keyboards in QWERTY layout, but a QWERTY thumbboard would have a ZERO learning curve. I started typing on it at 30 wpm the day I got it.
  19.    #139  
    It is shipping with Palm OS 5.2.1
    Originally posted by conflagrare

Yes, there's no technical reason to keep keyboards in QWERTY layout, but a QWERTY thumbboard would have a ZERO learning curve. I started typing on it at 30 wpm the day I got it.
    Actually there WAS a learning curve (i.e. you don't type on your desktop using just your thumbs, probably) it was just so small you didn't notice too much. I don't think it would be much different using a alphabetical keyboard, since you know what order the keys are in already, and you still use your thumbs.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast