Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by mjorange

This really doesn't present a real concern IMO Ken. I think if we took a poll of the number of people who'd lost all their data due to no juice the number would be significantly low.....I don't understand why anyone would purchase a hybrid device with no computer to sync it to... That being said, as long as you're syncing regularly you should be fine....on any phone. The real threat in losing data obviously comes from crashes or hard resets.
    Right. The Treo knows to shut off if the battery gets too low. That way it can keep a minimal charge so it doesn't lose the data.
    Originally posted by mjorange

This really doesn't present a real concern IMO Ken. I think if we took a poll of the number of people who'd lost all their data due to no juice the number would be significantly low.....I don't understand why anyone would purchase a hybrid device with no computer to sync it to... That being said, as long as you're syncing regularly you should be fine....on any phone. The real threat in losing data obviously comes from crashes or hard resets.
    That sounds all good and well, but if the Treo600 still has all those stinking Turbo Drain problems like the T300, then all bets are off!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I can see how people might have a concern about completely discharging the PDA and then losing data. I believe the treo will go into a unwakeable mode first which conserves the data for awhile though. That being said, it would be handy to take _only_ the treo on a trip... that is, not to lug about a laptop. With email and quickoffice, there is no need for tha laptop lots of times.

Backing up and restoring your data becomes a problem with the current treos though, as there is no way to accomplish this without a computer to sync to. The old visors had a springboard slot and backup solutions which fit in those slots. The treo 600 will have a SD slot, so I would assume some sort of backup and restore functionality could be (or has) been designed for those slots.

That would eliminate the worry about crashes, hard resets, and enable travelling without a laptop with your treo.
    Check the website at Samsung about the SGH-i500, they updated the info and it now it just says its high res, with no mention of high res support or any low res numbers. All high res. Check out the forum in the other PDA's section of the TreoCentral forums. You will see proof there too. Its high res! I even called a rep at Samsung and their computer just showed high res. Enough with the misunderstandings.

Jonathan
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole
    Originally posted by YoYoman412
    Check the website at Samsung about the SGH-i500, they updated the info and it now it just says its high res, with no mention of high res support or any low res numbers. All high res. Check out the forum in the other PDA's section of the TreoCentral forums. You will see proof there too. Its high res! I even called a rep at Samsung and their computer just showed high res. Enough with the misunderstandings.

Jonathan

on the cebit site or under press release?
    Ben
    Originally posted by YoYoman412

Jonathan
    What does saying "high res" prove? What is "high res" without numbers? Why is it so hard to just state the numbers like every other device (including other Samsung devices)? They don't call the SPH-i500 "low res" do they?

Actually, to me, this is more evidence that something fishy is going on there (or that the marketing folks responsible for this device are very incompetent).
    For what it's worth, the Kyocera was touted as "high resolution" because it had a screen with more pixels than a normal cell phone.
    Hey all. As a SideKick owner (b+w version), and I wanted to let you know the perfect solution to the charge problem -- T-Mobile gives SideKick users their own homepage, and the phone automatically syncs with it. It's kind of a like a my.yahoo page, with email (addressed to the phone), calendar, contacts, etc... and if you make a change on the homepage, it updates the phone and vice versa. I'm on my 4th SideKick because of screen issues and other hardware problems, however. I can't wait to get a Treo! I was with Sprint and jumped to T-Mo b/c of the SideKick. Definitely have to say I like it, but it doesn't sync with Outlook (you have to export to your web page to update the phone), and it loses data and voice connectivity way too often for comfort. I don't know if that's just the phone or T-Mo. Anyway, to get back to the original point, MobileBurn said in their review that they think the 600 has been built to handle the same sort of automatic update that the SideKick has. I haven't heard of Sprint making this same type of option available, but at least the possibility is there. I was going to jump back to Sprint, but if T-Mo offers that same homepage for the 600, that will keep me a happy customer. If you ever lose (completely) your battery charge, and it gets wiped, you would just have to re-charge and turn it back on. The data would download from the website, and you'd be off and running. If neither Sprint nor T-Mo offer this, someone could make some change by starting a service....
    -ricochet
    Alright people, enough of this "SGH won't have 320x320 rez" BS, therefore it justifies HS's dumbass screenie on Treo600! It is true that the prototypes of SGH-i500 shown at Cebit Germany were with low rez or 160x160 screens. As many people here and on other forums have already stated, this was primarily b/c Samsung didn't have the proper supply of 320x320 screens yet. This is also the main reason why the SGH has been delyaed fo sooo long. Also, it also should be noted that Samsung is one of the world leading LCD manufactures, so they probably know what they're talking about. Having said that, it would be absolutely incredulous for samsung to release the SGH with a low rez screen when the whole freaking internet (with exception to few around in this forum) is under the impression is will have a high rez screen. Every single technology/pda/smartphone news site has reported that it will have a high rez screen when released, so I highly doubt they would willfully want to mislead. What I think happenned is that they didn't have the high rez screen when they debuted the prototype and thus ambiguously listed the specs over which so many of us have become confused. However, when this thing is finally released, which looks like probably sometime early next year if we're lucky, I would be shocked if it didn't have a high rez screen. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to wait another 4-6+ months for the SGH or get the Treo600 within problby the next month?

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by ricochet
    I was with Sprint and jumped to T-Mo b/c of the SideKick.
    Surely you jest...
    I actually was an AT&T customer for a long time, until my wife convinced me to go to Sprint. (fewer bills, pcs to pcs minutes, yada yada yada) But I had a tough time with them -- the CS is pretty bad, and I encountered dropped calls a LOT. So when the SideKick came out and Amazon offered $250 off with T-Mo, I jumped. Not too amazing... That said, I went through a bunch of Palms -- last one was a Vx. It just got too frustrating, carrying two things around. So I'm definitely anticipating the 600's release. There are a couple of things that frustrate me with the SideKick -- poor phone quality, inability to notify you/keep notifying you until you pick up messages, and all of the hardware bugs. I bought a bunch of palm apps, and I'm hoping I can upgrade to the current versions with some sort of discount, but we'll see. The only thing that may keep me from jumping the first day they are available is the lack of internal bluetooth support. That's just... well, annoying. I know, SDIO cards can address this, but I don't want to use the sd slot for something that should be natively supported. If I knew I could send in the phone to be upgraded at some point (someone said there's a spot for it internally), then I'd be all in from the first day.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Alright people, enough of this "SGH won't have 320x320 rez" BS, therefore it justifies HS's dumbass screenie on Treo600! ....
    Gfunk:

I see you have flipped back to thinking that it will be 320x320. I remember you started this way, then later stated on this forum that it is doubtful that it is and now you are back to 320x320. So please at least don't appear to be indignant over doubting real high resolution when you were espousing that doubt at some point

Second, I respectfully don't see any evidence in what you said that it will be 320x320. Just that it would be "absolutely incredulous" not to do it isn't evidence. Is marketing material written based on prototypes or intended product?! I guess if you're claiming that Samsung didn't really know when they announced the product which screen they would eventually use, I can buy it (although it's pretty sloppy), but that's not what you're claiming.

Short of that, if the device does come out with a 320x320, I think the people marketing this device should be fired and should never work in this field again.

Until then (or until they state their resolution in simple terms, which every manufacturer is easily capable of) I'll go on believing that it will have a 160x160 screen and will support hi-rez applications, just like the Treo 600 does.
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    First: RayUSA.... Your mockup/cutout rules... I spent so much time building it and its so very cute. We all need to get a bit of a life.
    Thanks Mike! I'm glad you liked the mockup design. A life?? When is the expected release date for that?
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by silverado

Gfunk:

I see you have flipped back to thinking that it will be 320x320. I remember you started this way, then later stated on this forum that it is doubtful that it is and now you are back to 320x320. So please at least don't appear to be indignant over doubting real high resolution when you were espousing that doubt at some point
    At least I flipped back to my orignal positon! The initial misgivings I had were the result of the infomation posted by Just-talk when they posted the SGH for pre-order. However, as it's been established afterwards, Just-talk is as reliable and trust worthy as purple noodle!

Second, I respectfully don't see any evidence in what you said that it will be 320x320. Just that it would be "absolutely incredulous" not to do it isn't evidence. Is marketing material written based on prototypes or intended product?! I guess if you're claiming that Samsung didn't really know when they announced the product which screen they would eventually use, I can buy it (although it's pretty sloppy), but that's not what you're claiming.

Short of that, if the device does come out with a 320x320, I think the people marketing this device should be fired and should never work in this field again.

Until then (or until they state their resolution in simple terms, which every manufacturer is easily capable of) I'll go on believing that it will have a 160x160 screen and will support hi-rez applications, just like the Treo 600 does.
    Silverado, where is exactly is the proof/evidence that the SGH will NOT have high rez?! I've asked Ryan Kraier from PIC to confirm the rez and he said Samsung reported it will be 320x320. Other sites like brighthand have reported it will have high rez. Also, most Samsung 'insiders' who claim to know these things on various forums like hofo's and pdaphoenhome have said it will have a high rez screen. Of course you don't have to believe this, but most them have pretty good reputations and track records. The only people I've encountered who continue to beleive that the SGH will have a low rez screen are on the forums here at treocentral! The main reason for this, I presume, is to justify the lack of high rez on the Treo600. But, I have to agree with you that Samsung has done an absolutely **** poor job of explaining the the specs of the SGH. Samsung is already the #1 producer of QVGA LCD's for mobiles and they obviously have the capablity of manufacturing such a screen. But it's worth recalling that the SGH debuted almost 7 months ago now and according to rumors probably won't be released for another 4-6+ months (early 2004) if we're lucky. Thus IMO, it'c completely plausible the original specs of the phone shown at Cebit in March was merely a prototype and not the final product.

P.S. In fact in a round about way, I think the delay of the SGH may eventually explain the use of the low rez screen by Handspring in the Treo600. If even Samsung, which makes these screens, will not have them in sufficient quantities until sometime early 2004, then it would explain why HS chose to go with the low rez screen in the meantime. At least that's my theory...

15. purpleX
    Here I give you an unreliable assesment, now that you bring me into this.

SGH will never be launched. It will miss the windows of opportunity, and after Samsung take a peak on treo 600 sales, they suddenly realize, what on earth was I thinking? this POS gadget doesn't sell.

The scenario above is absolutely hypothetical and based on reliable fantasy, but if it happens I will take full credit.
    Gfunk:

I really don't have proof, but I don't think I need one. When a manufacturer publishes fishy specs that dance around a simple issue, one can legitimately be skeptical.

It could be that they were totally messed up in announcing this product or that they weren't really sure what they'll ship it with, especially given how long ago they announced it.
    What does all this have to do with the original topic?
  18.    #118  
    What does this have to do with the original topic you ask...

Well heres what I say....

Good Question! But I am enjoying the thread anyway, so I'll not be asking that question.

-Mike
    Originally posted by RayUSA

Yeah, I agree purpleX! In fact, my top two modifications to the Treo 600 would be:

1) 320x320 screen
    2) Replaceable battery

If they made these changes, then the Treo 600 would be nearly PERFECT, IMHO!
    I would not make the trade between a hi res screen and battery life. I want as much battery life as possible.

One question though to all you "hi res" screen guys... why? What apps do you plan to run on your T600 that need a hi res screen? I could never image watching a viedo clip on a screen so small. Perhaps I am an atypical Treo user, but I really think the screen is fine.
    Carl
    Originally posted by ricochet
    Anyway, to get back to the original point, MobileBurn said in their review that they think the 600 has been built to handle the same sort of automatic update that the SideKick has. I haven't heard of Sprint making this same type of option available, but at least the possibility is there. -ricochet
    I dont use it, but I think Sprint offers the same type of service with it's "Business Connect" offering.
    Carl