Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    That is true... it is. However, the "conjecture" did come "unofficially" from a good source at HS who is in corporate enterprise product distributiona and marketing, who said that "while she couldn't give a hard date (wink) she was Resonably Certain about that date" (at least for GSM, we didn't discuss CDMA)
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    That is true... it is. However, the "conjecture" did come "unofficially" from a good source at HS who is in corporate enterprise product distributiona and marketing, who said that "while she couldn't give a hard date (wink) she was Resonably Certain about that date" (at least for GSM, we didn't discuss CDMA)
    anyway you can find out when the cdma magic day is?
    Originally posted by yeah yeah
    i got some questions...can y'all help me out?

2. i only had one of the old handsprings...and wonder....if the battery dies on the 600...is all your stored data erased?

think of some more later....
    But the sd card does not need a battery - so if you backup key data to an sd slot, you are safe - even when away from home.

This is one of the things that really excites me about the T600!
    Originally posted by yeah yeah

but im talkin bout an official date. not a tentative date. cause handspring (or carrier) should know that....no more changes....just ship it out. there should be something...

Don't waste your time with this...I'm with letsgo on this one. Even if you were given a date it wouldn't mean ANYTHING. Just an opportunity for you to have your hopes shattered.
    Originally posted by tommygreen
    I agree, not a bad idea, but only if you're into SMS, not true email and PDA functionality. I'll keep my thumb board! Bring on the 600! (This, as my beloved 270 weeps at my desire to replace it!)
    I have had the same discussion on these boards before, so I don't want to beat a dead horse, but...

The linked layout is no different than the Treo's in that you can use both thumbs and hunt and peck and should be no slower for e-mail than a Treo keyboard once you are familiar with the layout, which should not take long since it is in alphabetical order, that is, you already know where the keys are.

On these mobile devices, or computers for that matter, there is no reason to continue to use a layout for the keys that was primarily designed so mechanical typewriters didn't get their parts stuck. But unlike a computer, where you might have learned to 'touch type' on old mechanical typewriters and therefore did not need to relearn any new style for the computer, you do not 'touch type' a QWERTY thumboard the same way you do a full sized keyboard, and so had to relearn how to type using just your thumbs, in hunt and peck style and still need to look at where your fingers go.

The benefit of abandoning the QWERTY layout is that you can pack the same or more keys in a thinner device without sacrificing accuracy. The original Treo series was, in my opinion, on the edge of being too small, and the new Treo, with its even smaller keyboard will be even more difficult to use, no matter what shape the key.
    Originally posted by mjorange

Don't waste your time with this...I'm with letsgo on this one. Even if you were given a date it wouldn't mean ANYTHING. Just an opportunity for you to have your hopes shattered.
    since you're the owner of pdaphonehome....cant you get some exclusive info on the treo?
    I'm not the owner....I've been a moderator over there for a couple of years though. I don't have too much more information than what has been stated across the web. I will be writing my own review once I receive my review unit in the near future just like the good folks over here. I think these guys (the TC Mods) have been pretty good at passing along all available information to everyone.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft

I have had the same discussion on these boards before, so I don't want to beat a dead horse, but...

I can readily see your point, however, I am tied hopelessly to QWERTY. My PC keyboard looks nothing like those other phone keypads. It's just what I'm used to. Sorry for being archaic!
    Originally posted by snahabed
    Am i the only one who would gladly trade 35% battery for a hi res screen? Dont most people charge their phones every night anyway?

Oh well.
    I'd make that trade too.
  10.    #90  
    Not me, as a business user... I need it to stay on, longer the better..

Remeber that blackout.... Well I do... When my phone died!
    for me, its all about having a working phone

the screen should be more than fine for me
    Last edited by WeeBitObsessed; 09/03/2003 at 10:59 PM.
  11. purpleX
    It's called replaceable battery.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Yeah, I agree purpleX! In fact, my top two modifications to the Treo 600 would be:

1) 320x320 screen
    2) Replaceable battery

If they made these changes, then the Treo 600 would be nearly PERFECT, IMHO!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  13.    #93  
    First: RayUSA.... Your mockup/cutout rules... I spent so much time building it and its so very cute. We all need to get a bit of a life.

That said, as far as the battery goes... I agree that ideally the battery would be removable, so long as the form-factor wouldn't be hurt too much. However, you will be able add another battery to the back. (Not as good a solution as removable, but I'll be getting it anyway.)
  14. purpleX
    ... optional large battery.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    PurpleX, this is your biggest cop-out to date!

You started out by offering to list the similar devices that have solved the battery life problem that you claim HS is the only company incompetent enough to handle. I then asked you to produce that list of equivalent devices that can do better than the Treo 600's 5 hour talk time. So you come out and say that this technologically advanced solution is a replacable battery.

Are you now claiming that Handspring is incapable of designing a device with a replacable battery?!

Let me guess: your next post will deviate from the purposeful-sounding tone of the prior posts in this thread and resort to ridicule and taunting. That is, this will complete the cycle of a "discussion" with PurpleX.

BTW: Despite the fact that the question of whether or not to include a replacable battery is a totally different one (and I can discuss its pros and cons), I am refraining from doing that until I get to the bottom of this argument.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/04/2003 at 01:08 AM.
  16.    #96  
    The battery may be big.... but you are still a meany

Regardless, I think that the included battery is more than enough and that I really dont like the idea of lugging around a spare battery anyway.
  17. purpleX
    [quote Silverado]

Is not like digging through myriads of phone models is easy you know... jees.

patient young padawan, you will get your can of whoop *** when the time comes.
  18.    #98  
    lol
    Give me battery life or give me a new phone!

I'd trade a slew of features for longer battery life...If I can't get at least 2.5 hours of talk data time and standby that will hold me the rest of the day. Then it begins to feel like the cell phones of the early 90s when you had to shut it off between uses and pray you could make it back to your charger before it went dead.

The additional penalty of now losing all your data from the PDA side (until you re-sync) makes battery life even more important.

...ken
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    The additional penalty of now losing all your data from the PDA side (until you re-sync) makes battery life even more important.

...ken
    This really doesn't present a real concern IMO Ken. I think if we took a poll of the number of people who'd lost all their data due to no juice the number would be significantly low.....I don't understand why anyone would purchase a hybrid device with no computer to sync it to... That being said, as long as you're syncing regularly you should be fine....on any phone. The real threat in losing data obviously comes from crashes or hard resets.