Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Mol

Now I'm not saying I disagree with this comment, but how come every "touchy" remark vs. Jake is considered to be a personal attack and people can write whatever they want about purpleX?
    Please note my response that was sent before your comment.
    Kurt, thank you for keeping a (mostly) very informative thread alive.
    "4) The screen that "Bleedingedge" had IS an older prototype and the new screens will perform "much better" than initial prototypes in direct sunlight. http://discussion.treocentral.com/t.../-t35673/s.html"

As I've said in another thread, I swung by Handspring last week and held a 600 in the sun that an employee had. The screen looked much better than the grey mess that Bleeding Edge took a picture of. So, what Mike's posted above sounds very accurate.

The screen may not be good enough for some such as Purple X, but it is clearly a huge improvement over what we are using today and will be good enough for me. The 300/270 screens, we all agree, are pretty much useless in direct sunlight. The 600 screen is actually usable.

The Samsung SGH i500 may have a better screen but it has no thumboard.
    I must say I was bit worried about the screen and sunlight..I'm glad that two members of this forum was able to confirm that. But now I have to excuse myself cause I have to hangout in a PPC forum and find out everything I can about a product that I absolutely despise and harass everyone. hehe...
  5.    #25  
    Felipe
    Re: Oct 10th. Cinular will have it at this time or just the handspring web site? Im on t-mobile and would probaly by an unlocked vertion.

$500 pre contract? Who need a contract? :-)
    She said that that is when we should expect to see it in Retail stores... so I assume that it'll be available shipped by then.

I too am on T-Mobile and I am hoping that I can get an unlocked one as well, which she said would be $500 or less.

Another Fun Tidbit: You will be able to keep your existing treo's once you get the HS discount, so between the $$ saved on the discount and the $$ one can get from EBAYing thier old treo, it should be a fairly large discount.

Stickman: She also said that despite the fact that the resolution was technically the same as the 270/300, that the display on the 600 will actually be nearly 40% brighter than the older models, followed by some screen techno-jargon that I didn't really understand and unfortunetly didn't write down.
    Been a TC reader for a time now, rarely posting. Recall Mr. Guttman's statement to Sam Spade "I don't like a closed mouth man. He generally says the wrong things and speaks at the wrong times". Isn't it sad when someone posts something of interest and then gets bashed?
    At any rate, mostly enjoying the insight of others, since I don't have a lot of technical expertise with these devices. I am however, a very satisfied owner of a 270 (as well as a 180 in the past).
    My comment at this juncture is this:
    I find the antenna protrusion of the 600 somewhat disappointing, especially since I've solved this very issue with the 270 by installing one of those antenna stubs that I'm sure most are familiar with. The 270 fits nicely into the pocket now. Looks like the antenna on the 600 is there to stay (darn).
    No matter, I still look forward to the release of this exciting version of the Treo family.
    The point of this post is really to say that I previously had little interest in the 600, since I enjoy the 270 so much. However, since reading many of the threads here, that has changed especially since there is a new found need to add another phone in the household (i.e. now I have a real excuse to look into getting a 600).
    With all the debate for/against the features of the 600, I find it enticing nonetheless. I just hope T-Mo will be one of the carriers.

(Now you know why I don't post very often).

Thanks to all the informative posters.
    "She also said that despite the fact that the resolution was technically the same as the 270/300, that the display on the 600 will actually be nearly 40% brighter than the older models, followed by some screen techno-jargon that I didn't really understand and unfortunetly didn't write down."
    Thanks, Mike.
    Much of the early disappointment expressed on these pages was that the screen resolution on the 600 will only be "160X160", which is what the current Treo's use, vs. "320X320", which is what the Tungsten and the Zire 71 use. 320 resolution is indeed great.
    There's also been hope expressed that the next version of the Treo will have the 320 screen as well as bluetooth.
    Personally, I have no intention of waiting. The 600 is a huge improvement, from almost every respect, over the 300/270.
  8.    #28  
    Originally posted by bassplayer
    Been a TC reader for a time now, rarely posting. Recall Mr. Guttman's statement to Sam Spade "I don't like a closed mouth man. He generally says the wrong things and speaks at the wrong times". Isn't it sad when someone posts something of interest and then gets bashed?
    Bassplayer, I have been in exactly your position for months, reading only, and I had precisly the reaction that you mentioned. I think that sometimes people dont post, because despite having good info, they dont want to incur the wrath and mockery of PurpleX and others. Glad some of the info was useful. I wasn't going to post anymore... and now I think I will

Much of the early disappointment expressed on these pages was that the screen resolution on the 600 will only be "160X160", which is what the current Treo's use, vs. "320X320", which is what the Tungsten and the Zire 71 use. 320 resolution is indeed great.
    There's also been hope expressed that the next version of the Treo will have the 320 screen as well as bluetooth.
    She did say that they had conducted test of Hi-Res screens in the 600 unit, so it seems fair to assume that with the current design they could incorparate a hi-res display, making more likely that they would do so in the future.
    Don't worry weebit! Most people here really appreciate informed comments. Some of us listen attentively too

I certainly appreciate all the great info people have put forth about the 600, especially the update on the release dates and stickman's great obs on the screen readabilty. I was wondering, for awhile, if anyone else had noted his comments in that 'other' thread.

I rarely worry (and almost never respond) if someone starts a flame war. Too much time in bbs'es, newsgroups, irc chats, etc. over too many years on the net I guess!
    WeeBitObsessed:

Your post is MUCH appreciated!! It came at a time when real info has been very scarce. Don't get discouraged by the usual supsects. A certain amount of noise is unavoidable in today's internet. So I hope we hear more from you
    do you think you can get some info on the sprint (cdma) version of the treo...?
    Am i the only one who would gladly trade 35% battery for a hi res screen? Dont most people charge their phones every night anyway?

Oh well.
    WeeBit (or anyone else), what is the rapid charger? What about the hotsync cradle? Is that the rapid charger?
    Thanks!
    I would definiltly trade in 35% less battery life for a hi-res screnn. I wonder if one could speicial oder a treo with a hi-res screen. One of the ones used in the test WeeBit mentioned?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    personally, i'm currently in the hunt for the best unit for my needs. the treo 300 isn't working for me outside, due to the screen, which is 50% of the time.

i personally appreciate contributions for and against the treo. if purplex is correct, the screen seems to still need work. it appears size and resolution play a part in that. good feed back from purplex. for all, at this point, its a wait and see with regards to the 600 screen in day light.

by the way, i love the sd gps for golf headline posted at treocentral.. what the hell good is it if you can't see the screen outside.. by the way lets try to keep the rounds around 4 hours long. just what we need golfers with gps handhelds trying to read treo screens in the daylight. the game is frustrating enough.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/03/2003 at 12:22 AM.
    Originally posted by snahabed
    Am i the only one who would gladly trade 35% battery for a hi res screen? Dont most people charge their phones every night anyway?
    Oh well.
    That really wouldn't have been a problem if JH had just added a damned replaceable battery to the Treo600! I personally want that high rez screen and am absolutely friggin tired of hearing all these damed excuses of why HS or Sprint decided against it! I don't care if a replaceable battery would have meant another millimeter or two of thickness, I think it would have been worth it if it could have allowed a high rez screen...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  17. purpleX
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed

I asked and they said they were aware of some developers who were working on these apps, bu they didn't have a timeframe
    There are no voice recorder app for Palm OS at all, except for the built in Tungsten. ARM powered POS has been out for almost a year. Advance voice recorder in PPC is also a very recent offering (ability to record in various codec beyond PCM .wav such as .mp3 and answering machine functionality)

Unless HS provides treo 600 with built in recorder, it is unlikely that "some developers" will write one anytime soon. The market is too small. That's why their vague answer.

---------
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    , the new 500 will have 160x160, IMO. The 320x320 stuff is a giant misunderstanding.
    the upcoming SGH i500, not SPH.

So you are saying that it is absolutely impossible for the 600 to ship with a considerably better screen than we saw in the pictures. Since you're so sure and quick to contradict, if you turn out to be wrong at shipping time, I expect you to come on here just as quickly and admit that you were wrong.
    I am saying, there is no chance in hell Hanspring can afford putting semi-transreflective screen (ie, something that is significantly brighter outdoor) This screen is very new.

Can Hanspring put higher resolution screen out now? sure they can. A advance smartphones uses screen bigger than 160x160 in various panel sizes. Some go as high as QVGA. The question is, can they write new screen driver and UI to adapt the square screen to more standard rectangular screen and adjust the font size.

--------------
    Originally posted by silverado
    Yeah, PurpleX, we should all agree that while everyone and their uncle is able to hire the technical knowhow to do things, Handspring has a congenital defect that makes that just never possible.
    they are not the only guy who make this type of product. All the others in the market use bigger/better screen without the battery problem they say exist. Either the rest of the industry is filled with geniuses or HS team is the only non geniuses. You decide. (do you want a list of all advance phones plus their battery and screen size?)

We all know that these guys couldn't do anything like create the first successful PDA ever, one that arguably created this sector or 1.5 years ago create the most functional and until recently virtually unchallenged phone/PDA combination on the market (albeit with worse than crappy construction). Sure, we all know that they are short on innovation and technical knowhow.

So, since we all agree on this, can we stop harping on it and discuss other facts that are not so well-established?
    yeah yeah, he runs around with block of wood plus a chopstick and created a the first block buster handheld. How charming.

News flash, the guy sink 400M and strike out. Treo is definitely not a hot selling roduct by PDA or phone standard. And I seriously doubt treo would be remember as 'most functional' phone/PDA as you put it. Palm pilot is seminal, treo is a novelty geek gadget.
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Treo 600 GSM

6) The Audio configuration will allow for both voice dialing and, if the software is developed, call recording.

-Mike
    Can somone confirm whether it comes shipped with Voice Dialling or whether it will support an app for Voice Dialling?

TIA,
    Dave
  19.    #39  
    Dave,

It will not be shipping with voice dialing. However it does support vioce dialing through your carrier or a third party software solution.

Also, PurpleX is correct in that there are not yet any recording apps available, unless and until they are written I wouldn't hold my breath.

That said, the fact the this will be a PalmOne product before we can blink does mean that theoretically, they should be able to use the native recording application code from the tungsten with only slight modifications.

As far a screen res goes, while I would LOVE high res... and would also love a rechargable battery, it is still more important to me that i have longer battery life (not to mention the HS claim that the screen will look fine in sunlight) And as for the battery, there will be an additional battery that can be attched to the back of the unit, should the need arise.

-Mike

Now its four in the AM so Imna go to bed.
    Originally posted by purpleX

There are no voice recorder app for Palm OS at all, except for the built in Tungsten. ARM powered POS has been out for almost a year. Advance voice recorder in PPC is also a very recent offering (ability to record in various codec beyond PCM .wav such as .mp3 and answering machine functionality)

Unless HS provides treo 600 with built in recorder, it is very unlikely that "some developers" will write one. The market is too small.

---------
    What the heck are you blabbering about SKA? Audacity has been offering thier their DVR for quite some time now and it probably won't take them too long to port it over to the Treo600! Please, your trolling is getting a little sloppy lately!! There is definitely a voice reocrder option out there for palmos....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast