1.    #1  
    I love My Treo 300. I love the ability to use PDANet and have 9.6 speed just about anywhere I am that Sprint is available.

I recently trashed my USB Sync Cable. I needed to find a replacement Sync Cable.

I found out the hard way. Watch out for Sprint Technical Support. Do not break any of the acessories. Sprint has NO Support what so ever for any replacement of parts. So much so that getting any assistance in trying to find a replacement part for anything is an exercise in futility. I got passed from Sales to Support and back to Sales and then finally to a tech that told me. Sir, I do not know how to tell you this but we no longer have technical support for the Treo 300's.

Also the unlimited Internet for $10.00, is gone, long gone. It has been gone since November 2002. No idea when it will come back either if it ever will come back.

For those of us luck enough to have it do not change your plan for any reason you will loose this option. Also every step of the way all Sprint was trying to do was sell me more service. Either long distance, or additional service and a PCMCIA modem or the PCMCIA Modem and Speaker phone kit for Laptops.

Do not get me wrong. I love my Treo. I love the SMS once I activated the capability with Treo300SMS. Also I love the custom ring tones. I can put a ring to a group or individual. Also coupling this with a Jabra I am able to automatically pic up the phone with just the Jabra. Totally hands free. Using a cradle I can go online and have reliable speed and connectivity. I know about the e-mail functionality. I do not use it. I leave that for the laptop. The wonderful calendar and address book are great. I have a copy of Cesium on the phone. So I have just about all I need on there for an on the road office. Also with the Instant messenger three way application I can be online anywhere anytime to communicate realtime. I love it. Fantastic.

Just wonder why Sprint has dropped support. Is this a prelude to total cease of support? I wonder.

OBTW. They promised 50% off of the next months bill.

Sprint even referred me to CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, and Radio Shack. Of all those the only one that came close to assisting me was CompUSA and that was just barely.

I did find a cradle at Comp USA. The demo unit there was a disgrace. The flip top was gone. The screen was cracked. The support staff there could care less I needed a replacement USB Sync Cable. Best Buy was worse than this. No support what so ever. Radio Shack had no support either and told me to go to Sprint. Sprint tried to send me to Handspring. Handspring referred me back to Sprint. The endless circle of NON-Support.

Bottom Line if you get the Treo Right now. Buy the replacement insurance. It is the safest way to cover yourself. Now that covers the phone. No accessories at all. Keep this site in mind and available while on the road. They just be your saving grace for replacement parts.

Sincerely,

Cary
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    Umm.., Why not just go to Handspring.com and buy replacement sync cable directly? I don't think I've bought one Treo accessory from Sprint. I've purchased all of mine from 3rd party venders like Seidio or ebay etc...

Originally posted by carydc
    Also the unlimited Internet for $10.00, is gone, long gone. It has been gone since November 2002. No idea when it will come back either if it ever will come back.
    Well it costs $15/month now for non PPC phone devices. It sucks that they raised it by 5 bucks, but it's still pretty good deal for unlimited vision IMO! Also, I would wager that Sprint may rollout some good holiday plans later on this fall...

Just wonder why Sprint has dropped support. Is this a prelude to total cease of support? I wonder.

If what you're saying is true, I don't understand this either. It would make sense that Sprint is clearing out inventory and etc in anticipation of the Treo600 release in early October, but there's still tons of existing Treo300 users who need support. Perhaps, Sprint is going to try make as many existing Treo300 users upgrade to the Treo600 asap?

OBTW. They promised 50% off of the next months bill.
    Dso you mind sharing how you managed that? Did you get a retention plan or did you have to sign up to a new contract?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    What I believe I did was found a sypathetic Sprint Service Person. She went of the line at least three times to talk to her supervisor and others that seemed to know about the Treo 300's. I had related my concern that Sprint no longer carried any replacement parts for the Treo 300. That is when she related that support for the Treos had been discontinued as of Nov 02. Which caught me by surprise. I expressed my displeasure to the fact that I could not get support for my phone and that all I had gotten from any of the other Sprint technicians and sales people was the sales pitch to buy their PCMCIA Wireless Modem and pay the $100.00/mo fee for wireless modem access on my PC. She finally went off line and came back and told me that it had not been announced and because I had been bounced all over between Sprint to Handsprint to Best Buy, to Sprint again and multiple Sales and Support personel that she would give me a 50% discount on my next months bill. Seem she did have a heart. Not too sure about the other flunkies. I even spoke to the Sales Manager about the unexplicably high cost of $100.00 for 300MB of download or $1 for 3 MB of data and how if I did that I would use that in a couple weeks normal use. I also related that no one in their right mind would buy it. They had no idea that the plan I was on was not suppose to allow me to do the dial in that I was doing either. So their sales and service folks are woefully under trained and have not a clue how to use their own systems to find data.

I have a strong suspision that most of the Sprint support staff has been remoted to India just like most of the larger call centers. This would explain the woefully bad training that these folks have and extremely bad people skills they have. Sales and Service are hurting for Sprint right now. They likely would do better by contracting with Google to cross reference their internal documentation and let us do our our research. Then allow us to do our own customer service. Most of the folks I talked with at Sprint did not have a clue. Especially about the Treo and its capabilities. So enjoy and I hope this enlightens the already bleak situation.

Cary
  4.    #4  
    You see I had problems and lost my ear bud along the way. My wife went to the Sprint store I bought my phone at and she was able to get it and a cigarette adapter for my phone. This gave me two.

Oh by the way I was on vacation in Virginia. I was trying to keep up on my e-mail while on the road. I was needing a quick fix. Not an order and wait for the arrival. I was thinking. And that is very dangerous with Sprint, that I might be able to get the same service in Virginia that I get here in Texas from my own Sprint store. Boy was I mistaken. Also just so you know Handspring did refer me back to Sprint for support.

Sprint in Virginia referred me to Radio Shack, Circuit City, Best Buy and CompUSA. Of which CompUSA was the only one to come up with anything that remotely resembled a solution. I was able to get a hot sync cradle. That is a better solution than the original hot sync cable as this actually supports the Treo in an upright position allowing better reception of the Sprint signal. Something that was a balancing act with the original hot sync cable.

Have a good one. Hope this helps.

Cary
    I had related my concern that Sprint no longer carried any replacement parts for the Treo 300. That is when she related that support for the Treos had been discontinued as of Nov 02. Which caught me by surprise.
    HUH? Well, that's certainly strange!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

For those of us luck enough to have it do not change your plan for any reason you will loose this option. Also every step of the way all Sprint was trying to do was sell me more service. Either long distance, or additional service and a PCMCIA modem or the PCMCIA Modem and Speaker phone kit for Laptops.

Cary
    Are you saying that if you get a new plan or change your plan you will not be able to get unlimited internet access/email?

Because if you check at the sprint web site

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/se...=1062412784434

They are still offering unlimited internet at the web site.
    Unlimited internet is important for email and web browsing.
    I bought my Treo 300 from HS last Oct and changed service from Cingular to SPCS.

I am on my 3rd Treo (2 repl) and each time I had no problems with Sprint. The first time I got a new one in the box after I called Sprint and told them my 'local' Sprint store was an hour away. She said OK and sent me a new one -- had it the next day.

That Treo was ... ahem ... run over by a golf cart (cough, cough I'm not feeling too well today, I won't be in, cough, cough) but I was near that Sprint store ... so I walked in, showed my Treo and received a reconditioned one the next day. It still works like a champ! And they had a section of accessories set aside for Treo.

Last month I had a problem w/mt Treo and called Sprint and they walked right through everything ... and no prob's since.

Many people on this site have had builling problems ... well I check diligently each month and have not had a problem. As far as Vision goes, I have unlimited Vision, 2000 mins/mo. with the weekly notification option for $87 (if you think income taxes are bad, check out what your cell bill has added to it ... for me it's just under $20 -- about 25%!).

Don't get me wrong ... all the problems you describe with Sprint I had with Cingular. And then some ... if they weren't so big, I would wonder how they stayed in business. I don't work for Sprint or own stock in it or anything else ... my experience has just been different. I'll be a little hesitant to jump on the bandwagon if I run into a problem ... but I will definitely let you all know if it does.
  9.    #9  
    TarkWolf,

I asked specifically about unlimited internet. I was flat told it is no longer available. I asked for the sales manager and got the same diatribe. If it is on the website I would say run with it. The point to all my posts and many of the other posts on this site is that Sprint and their Human Support Folks have 25% of their act together and 75% is blowing in the wind. Their lack of professionalism and lack of training oozes through the phone. They are more interested in grubbing money than helping the customer. The customer is being left in the lurch. That is what I personally have observed and there seem to be others that echo this sentiment. So when dealling with Sprint I would lay in a supply of patience and tolerance, pray before you speak and hope that there is a higher power assisting you in your endeavor as you may not get or find what you are looking for.

Cary
    I too am in Flower Mound (small world). I would say to not put a lot of faith in what the Customer Service drones tell you about support for the Treo. It's really not one of their mainstream devices, and questions about it tend to make them flustered, and they'll revert to some canned spiel (as you heard) about laptop access and the like.
    I think the general consensus is to do a lot of searching on this board, and you'll end up answering most, if not all of your questions. Another good approach is to use both the Sprint and Handspring websites (probably HS more than Sprint) for accessories and such. You have to remember that the Treo is such a small slice of Sprint's world, that it's no real surprise that they are universally misinformed. I have only called the Customer Service group once or twice in my Treo life - about 13 months now. Avoid 'em like the plague.
    Come into the comforting circle of this discussion board, and you'll be well taken care of. That's right - sit right down and take a load off.
    Well, I know there is a problem with Sprint's customer support. No big secret. My question was on something you said in one of your posts. Since when does having your Treo in an upright position improve signal? I read that and called a very good friend who's an RF engineer for Sprint. He said that would make ABSOLUTELY no difference in reception. The reason I asked was because I thought that might have been something CompUSA told you. IMHO those guys are the biggest idiots on the planet. I have never gotten anything but CRAZY, INARTICULATE answers from those people everytime I walk in one.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I know such things DO matter when it comes to 802.11x wireless standards. I can see how someone would take the leap in logic.
  13.    #13  
    Well, I know what the Technical Folks are saying about the RF. However, applying real world practical experience to this. I have gotten better signal strength with the phone in an upright position vs a flat position.

Also if you want to get into the technical terms here the Antennas that carry the Signal are Vertical polarity not Horizontal polarity. This does make a difference especially over long distances. I had to teach radio theory while in the military and this does apply.

When the phone is in the vertical position the antenna polarization is vertical. When the phone is in the flat position it is in the horizontal polarization. So it does apply. With it in the craddle that puts it in the same polarization as the transmission towers that just so happen to be in the vertical polarization field.

So that would explain the stronger signal reception.

C
    Carydc,

That makes sense. If orientation has nothing to do with radio reception, why does moving the antenna around on TVs and radios change the reception? (This is an honest question, as there could be some other reason).
    K,
    For tv's the reception is affected because the wavelength is much shorter on vhf and uhf. When a tv station puts out a signal (this applies only to traditional tv, not highdef) the rf waves are coming in much faster. Like small waves lapping on a beach. Buildings, trees, and all other manner of obstruction can affect how those waves come in. Moving the antenna "tunes" it to however the "waves" are coming into your building. This does not apply on frequencies like 1.9 ghZ nearly as much (however it can slightly) so I suppose carydc is correct in saying that occasionally having the phone in an upright position may make a difference.
    However, going back to his "real world experience", the fastest data speed I have attained on my Treo while connected to my laptop was while the phone was lying horizontal on the floorboard of my car. I am sure that there are all kinds of ways to hypothesize this scenario to look favorably on one position over another, though.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.