Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I really want the Treo 600, but I will have a problem because of the camera. I use my Treo 300 at work a lot, but there is no cameras alowed where I work. I don't really care about having a camera in the phone anyway, but with a camera in the Treo 600, I won't be able to take it into work. Any one have any Ideas how to get around this. Paint the camera lense Black ??
    Are you confident that anyone will even know there's a camera on the phone? Isn't the lens on the back of the 600? Why not just carry it in its case?
    I have the same issue. I'm not sure where you work -- but cameras are not allowed at the Federal Court here in Seattle -- which is where 90% of our patent work is litigated.

For me, the CSO's believe you if you tell them that you don't have a camera. I wondered if merely taking the Camera software off the Treo 600 would be sufficient so that I could say "I don't have a working camera." Alternatively, I guess I could paint the lens black, or something like that... but it seems like a permanent disfigurement of the Treo 600, which is something I don't want to do.

I agree that offering the Treo 600 only with a camera is a very bad thing. I'm going to buy one and see if they make a big stink. Technically, "voice recorders" are not allowed in the Court either -- but people bring Pocket PCs and laptops in all the time, which can record voice.

I guess you could also just "hope" that they don't realize you have a camera on your phone (does that present an ethical problem if you're knowingly breaking a Court rule?)... however, the one time when they will realize that you have a camera will be when you are late for trial, and can't afford the 5 minutes to explain that it really isn't a camera ;-).

Brian

P.S. If anyone from Handspring reads this forum -- MAKE A TREO 590 w/o a CAMERA!!!
  4.    #4  
    I work in the Automotive industry. They get very nervious about that sort of thing. I know Handsprind was just trying to make a Super Communicator, but really, leave the cameras to the toy phones, I feel this phone is more for business, and if someone can buy a $500 phone they can go pick a cheap digital camera if they need one. This problem about camera phones is not a new one. Many companies are starting to band them on thier property, so that means a lot of people might go to another phone without the camera. They might lose more then they gain by putting the camera in.
    I've written this before so if you get tired of it already please forgive me and tell me so but in my opinion this camera is there because the networks want it to be. They want you to make photos and send expensive MMS messages around which generates more cash. Simple as this.

I'd asume Handspring could care less for the camera. But if they'd come out with a treo without the camera it could be that it's actually more expensive when getting it with a provider contract then the one with a camera...

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Not to mention that I sure as hell don't need a phone that can take pictures.

If I want to take pictures, I'll bring my digital camera. And when I'm most likely to take pictures (on vacation), I'm not going to bring my phone.

I'd much rather they left off the camera and dropped the price a bit.
    I think, at least here in Europe, cameras on new phones are essential to compete with Noka, Siemens, Ericsson, Samsung and others. The biggest competitor to the Treo 600 I think will be Ericsson P800/P810, Nokia 6600 and possible the OS5 based Samsung SGH-i500. All of these have built in cameras.

In Europe MMS will be as common as SMS in very short time, and the prices will drop soon. In Norway MMS has been free for the last couple of months and the announced price has dropt to a fourth since the introduction.

I also think the security issues has to be adressed in another way as soon as cameraphones (or other micro cameraes) will be as common as mobile phones are today.

Aksel
  8.    #8  
    Well, it's understandable that some will like the camera feature, but those of us that have the security problem, which will be in the 100's of thousands will have limited choices because of the little toy added to the phone. The only options I see, is disable the lense, have 2 phone plans and keep the Treo 300 for work which would kind of be TOO EXPENSIVE, and TOO ANNOYING. Why couldn't they have just made it with a detachable lense or something.
    Originally posted by wizzmerlin
    Why couldn't they have just made it with a detachable lense or something.
    What would prevent you from re-attaching the lense once inside the facility (kinda like why they don't let you use the black piece of tape)

My point is, it's not the phone manufacturers fault, these 'secure' businesses need to re-examine their security policy.
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

What would prevent you from re-attaching the lense once inside the facility (kinda like why they don't let you use the black piece of tape)

My point is, it's not the phone manufacturers fault, these 'secure' businesses need to re-examine their security policy.
    I don't see anything wrong with certain business having a no-camera policy. I work for a defense contractor and I come into contact with government classsified information all the time. I don't blame my company and the government for not wanting people walking around with cameras and having the ability to snap a shot of some top secret document. If I get a Treo 600 and I'm in a secure area and I need to leave it in the car, oh well. I think national security is worth the sacrifice...
    I personally don't have a problem with having camera's built in to phones. I do have a problem with something that is being touted as a business tool havinbg something on it that a lot of businesses don't allow. If Handspring is going for the business user, then they should consider the camera a frill option and provide a means of disabling it. Or offering a T600 without it. I don't think that is too much to ask. Since I am stuck with Sprint, my choices in smartphones are even more limited than with most carriers. In essence, I am stuck with two choices going forward. Unless I want to go a generation back and get a phone that will not be supported much longer (Samsung i330, Treo 300). I don't much care for that option. So I either go with the i500, which is about $300 overpriced, or the Treo 600, which has a camera built in that I can't use at work. So do I drown to death, or burn to death? Some choice.
  12.    #12  
    I don't know if you work with a company that has strict security or not, but where I work, no Black tape would not cut it, smuggling in a attachable lense would not be any different then smuggling in a camera. Our security do searches, and scanning. To find a phone that has programing for a camera but no lense to see through, no problem, but let then find a lense!!! You have a camera, YOUR FIRED ON THE SPOT !!!!
    Someone could market a kit that would give you the step by step instuctions on how to open the 600,
    remove the camera off the ic board and have a pop in plug for the rear cover.They could even have a mail in service to do this for you if you don't want to try yourself

Or HS could do it to pre requested people who want it. HS has goverment deals (see their site) already, per haps they will have a Treo 600G? (w\o camera)
    Just my 2-cents worth
    Matt Burkhard
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Someone could market a kit that would give you the step by step instuctions on how to open the 600,
    remove the camera off the ic board and have a pop in plug for the rear cover.They could even have a mail in service to do this for you if you don't want to try yourself

Or HS could do it to pre requested people who want it. HS has goverment deals (see their site) already, per haps they will have a Treo 600G? (w\o camera)
    Just my 2-cents worth
    Matt Burkhard
    If you take it apart then you void the warranty. You'd also be paying for a phone with a camera and then removing the camera, which is like throwing money away.
    I DO NOT EXPECT TO USE THE CAMERA EITHER, IT IS NOT A VERY GOOD ONE AND I THINK IT IS A CASE OF THE INDUSTRY TELLING US WE NEED A CAMERA ON ON PHONES THAN US TELLING THE INDUSTRY WE NEED ONE
    I bet the Treo600G could and would sell for the same price as the 600 IMO. If I had a Gov' job and wanted all the features of the 600 (It clearly smokes the 300), then I would take the risk of the warranty and the loss of $19.99 for the camera. Plus, you never know, if it's done "in house" by an authrized HS place, it may not void the warrenty. I was jsut thinking outloud. I think with or w/o the camera, the phone would retail for the same price. I think they had to be in a cetain price range to be competative and the camera was more of a sales point (to some) then a hook or added feature, if they were to quantafiy the price for all the stuff, MP3 capable (?),Camera,SD/IO slot, Java browser, 32MB etc, it would cost and arm and leg.

Like I said, just thinking outloud, good point the warranty void though! Matt
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    I DO NOT EXPECT TO USE THE CAMERA EITHER, IT IS NOT A VERY GOOD ONE AND I THINK IT IS A CASE OF THE INDUSTRY TELLING US WE NEED A CAMERA ON ON PHONES THAN US TELLING THE INDUSTRY WE NEED ONE
    I don't think it's the industry telling us we need a camera. Camera phones are really hot right now and everyone's buying one. The problem is that camera phones aren't for corporate types. If that's what the Treo 600 is supposed to be, it doesn't need a camera. But if it's supposed to be the Swiss Army Knife of phones that can do everything, then it should have a camera.

About the quality of the camera, it's VGA 640x480. That's the best resolution you can get in a phone in the this country. The only thing that's lacking is a flash (I think). Other than that, the camera is as good as can be expected.
    I would try to put a Palmone or handspring sticker over the lense so it looks official. then keep the phone in the case. This way if its inspected, It might just make it pass.
    I like the way you think (the sticker idea)
    If my job were on the line, I would not try some approach to disable the camera that is reversible. Either don't buy the phone, or don't take it to work, or follow Burkhardi's advice and remove the camera from the phone, or break out the lense and fill in the hole with putty. But don't risk your job for a little VGA blurred-image recorder on the back of your phone!

Unless you really can't stand your boss anyway!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast