Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by ricochet
    Looks like someone recognized the market need. Read the article on zdnet....
    -ricochet

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5074852.html
    Already posted in other thread.
    this thread was already discussing this issue, i think it was better to put here instead of creating a new thread.
    this thread was already discussing this issue, i think it was better to put here instead of creating a new thread.
    I thought about posting it here but I figured since it was something new to be thrown into the mix, I gave it its own thread.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...almpdas_1.html

Palm is rumored to come out with a 1.3-meg res digital camera which can be plugged into the SDIO for a cost of around $110 (before October). If that is true, T600 users who demand a hi-res cameras now can have their wishes met - with a fee.
    Originally posted by mcyang
    Palm is rumored to come out with a 1.3-meg res digital camera which can be plugged into the SDIO for a cost of around $110 (before October). If that is true, T600 users who demand a hi-res cameras now can have their wishes met - with a fee.
    I posted this news on my web site the other day. You can see a picture of the camera here:
    http://goodthatway.com/news_arc/?id=78

Of course, just because it's 1.3MP it doesn't mean that it takes good pictures.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Let's see. If a company has the option of banning camera phones and PDAs with not cost to the company or buying hardware and installing it and determining where to install it, etc., I think they'll likely take the first route.

Oh, and regarding having choices: show me one other Palm OS phone with a keyboard and I'd gladly consider it. The fact is that the Treo 600 is absolutely unique. The only other PDA phone with a built-in keyboard is the G1000 and it also has a camera.

Geoffrey

Looks like someone recognized the market need. Read the article on zdnet....
    -ricochet

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5074852.html
    Originally posted by mcyang
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...almpdas_1.html

YAY, two cameras! Any word on if this has a flash?
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

YAY, two cameras! Any word on if this has a flash?
    No, it does not.

Scott
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    Oh, and regarding having choices: show me one other Palm OS phone with a keyboard and I'd gladly consider it. The fact is that the Treo 600 is absolutely unique. The only other PDA phone with a built-in keyboard is the G1000 and it also has a camera.
    What about the Tungsten W??
    go.digital
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    Let's see. If a company has the option of banning camera phones and PDAs with not cost to the company or buying hardware and installing it and determining where to install it, etc., I think they'll likely take the first route.
    Probably. But if we get to the point where all phones have cameras, I could see the government imposing some sort of requirement that all phones with cameras be made with this chip and the government then outfitting all of its secure facilities with the necessary hardware.

Scott
    I mean REAL converged devices. The design of the W requiring the earphone is flawed, IMO. But thank you for reminding me about it.

I will also state that the idea of switching to GSM, living in the US, doesn't thrill me. I have seen my mother travel around the country with her T-Mobile phone and have too many places where she couldn't use it. That's not acceptable for me.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by dulan

What about the Tungsten W??
    A simple slution: got to palmone website & print out a page that has the palmone logo on it. Then cutout palmone logo (round one-or find old round palm logo) then measure the camers lens hole. Take said printed page to Kinkos and copy and resize round logo until it fits over camera hole. then when size matches, take image and print on sticky paper multiple images. Now when you want to hide the camera just put a sticker over the camera hole. No one will ever know the difference. Incidentally it wouldn't be that hard for someone to manufacture a rubber "cap" to go over the camera hole. Hopefully someone will implement this after a while...

P.S. when creating stickers for camera hole, one could use any image or logo as long as it is round. Like a m+m or zit or bullet hole ;-)
  13.    #53  
    Well, many have commented on ways to hide the camera, but my company is no dumby, they have a list of providers and a list of mobile phones that have cameras built-in and I saw it yesterday. It had the Handspring Treo 600 already listed. I asked if there was an acceptable way for me to bring the Treo 600 in. They said yes !! Prove to them that the Camera was no longer able to function, and it must not be able to be made functional again. So now I must decide. I really like the Treo 600, but if I do get one I will have to void the warranty and permenantly damage the lense and see if HandSpring can't disable the camera software. As stated before, why couldn't they have just made the camera a small option that could be attached if it was desired, and like in the earlier post the option could be a hi-res attachment too. They could have solve a big problem for many people this way. I know this idea isn't going to happen now, but I was just hoping maybe someone from Handspring or Palm was reading this Thread and could help those of us with this problem, by maybe offering to let us send the phone in and have the camera deactivated by them and keep the warranty intact. My choices are becoming very limited right now, almost to the point of having to return to a cell phone and a palm seperately.
    If I brought a camera in and tried to conceal it and got caught, the least that would happen is I would get fired. Chances are that I'd face criminal prosecution. That's not worth it for a cell phone. I'd be leaving it in the car.
    If I wanted a treo 600 without the camera (I want the camera myself), it seems like the easiest way to kill the camera and an unreversable way is to take a few drops of black paint (or maybe a bright color so it is obvious) and drop them on the lense. This way you don't have to take it apart and it is permently disabled. Only way to restore function would be to buy a new lense.

To finish the job, you would need to rip the camera software out of flash with a flash editor.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Well, most of us have employees that dont mind a camera. EVERY job though has some sort of classified information somewhere, even burger joints. The key word though fellas is discretion. most employees are not going to search you for a camera. hell most wont even know it has a camera unless you are in the offices taking photos of all your co workers!! but the black tape over the lens is a good idea just in case. it does show your employer that you are not being unethical.
    Originally posted by RStall
    Well, most of us have employees that dont mind a camera. EVERY job though has some sort of classified information somewhere, even burger joints. The key word though fellas is discretion. most employees are not going to search you for a camera. hell most wont even know it has a camera unless you are in the offices taking photos of all your co workers!! but the black tape over the lens is a good idea just in case. it does show your employer that you are not being unethical.
    Black tape can also show that you're trying to sneak a camera in. You can easily rip the tape off at any time and start taking pictures. Classified information at my job is classified by the government in regards to national security. That's hardly the same as McDonald's secret sauce. It's not just about discretion. If your company makes missles and radar systems like mine, the government can say "no cameras allowed" and it's not in the company's hands. Black tape is useless in any environment if you're not supposed to take pictures because it doesn't prevent you from doing so. All it does is try to conceal the camera which is more dishonest than anything else. The way to show your employer that you're not being unethical is when they say not to bring a camera in, don't bring one in. It's that easy.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Black tape can also show that you're trying to sneak a camera in. You can easily rip the tape off at any time and start taking pictures. Classified information at my job is classified by the government in regards to national security. That's hardly the same as McDonald's secret sauce. It's not just about discretion. If your company makes missles and radar systems like mine, the government can say "no cameras allowed" and it's not in the company's hands. Black tape is useless in any environment if you're not supposed to take pictures because it doesn't prevent you from doing so. All it does is try to conceal the camera which is more dishonest than anything else. The way to show your employer that you're not being unethical is when they say not to bring a camera in, don't bring one in. It's that easy.

you are definately right about that man. i am glad that my employer doesnt mine us bringing camera phones to work. i did work for the late compaq computers and they were EXTREMELY strict about cameras. it all depends on your job, some jobs are strict about cameras and recording devices and some arent. my thing is that all these business owners working at these top secret government divisions should have the resources to get another type of phone. i think however that the treo600 is actually geared for the average joe customer like myself. i mean if you are a business customer, get a freakin laptop. who actually uses their cellphones to make reports, to create speeches, powerpoint presentations, or create and update databases. I would say more people will use the treo for web browsing, checking email, chatting on verichat, sms, and playing games. I shelled out $600 for my treo 270 and thats all i use it for. as a phone, email, web, chat, and a gameboy(with the emulator!!). if I was a business user, i would have a laptop!!
    Originally posted by RStall

you are definately right about that man. i am glad that my employer doesnt mine us bringing camera phones to work. i did work for the late compaq computers and they were EXTREMELY strict about cameras. it all depends on your job, some jobs are strict about cameras and recording devices and some arent. my thing is that all these business owners working at these top secret government divisions should have the resources to get another type of phone. i think however that the treo600 is actually geared for the average joe customer like myself. i mean if you are a business customer, get a freakin laptop. who actually uses their cellphones to make reports, to create speeches, powerpoint presentations, or create and update databases. I would say more people will use the treo for web browsing, checking email, chatting on verichat, sms, and playing games. I shelled out $600 for my treo 270 and thats all i use it for. as a phone, email, web, chat, and a gameboy(with the emulator!!). if I was a business user, i would have a laptop!!
    The only things work related that I use my Treo for are for keeping track of appointments/meetings and taking random notes. Obviously if I need to do real work I'll use a computer. And as far as phones go, we use Nextel (ugh). Assuming I get the Treo 600 when it comes out and if I'm still in a restricted area, too bad for me. I'll just have to leave it in the car. It's not the end of the world. The vast majority of people don't work in places where cameras are restricted. That's what happens when you're the minority, you can get left out in the cold. Oh well.
    > ...The way to show your employer that you're not being
    > unethical is when they say not to bring a camera in, don't bring
    > one in. It's that easy.

Handspring made the point, albeit fairly subtley (sp?), that enterprise sales of the TREOs were not successful - they said outright that the merger with PALM will allow them to address the retail sector (indeed, I seem to remember stronger words than that that implied something like "reorient to the retail sector" but could be wrong about it so don't hold me to it!).

As such, enterprises not allowing cameras isn't a biggee to them - that's the endcustomer's problem.

Maybe they'll come out with a TREO 600NC.

Yeah, that's the ticket!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast