Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Any ideas?

Can I have one that says "turn left here" with voice?
    The CDMA version of the 600 has a (Qualcomm/Snaptrack) GPS chip integrated into it.
    This will function once Sprint's (Qualcomm/Snaptrack) location-based services network gets fired up. I've been told by a Snaptrack official that Sprint's location based services are 97%" ready.
    Snaptrack and my company share a parking lot. Gfunkmagic has sent me some great questions to ask the Snaptrack guys...I'll do this as soon as I can.
    Yup, Stickman's right on there...

In the mean time however, there are other options like the Mapopolis GPS for the Treo which should be compatible with the Treo600 since it will retain the same connection interface as the older Treos. This might be a good option for the GSM Treo 600 since I'm not sure if there will be any integrated GPS functionality. However, I don't know for sure since other providers may offer snaptrack as well... Overall, its probably a good idea to just wait and see what rolls out in 2004.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It doesn't look like Mapopolis provides voice prompts, which I find very useful as they free you from having to look at the screen when you are driving. Does anyone know if they do, and if they don't, if another service does. TIA.
  5. purpleX
    ..Snaptrack,

For Handheld GPS, snaptrack is only supplementing real GPS. If the handheld is beyond reach of snaptrack transmitter, the handheld won't be able to determine location. Which is pretty much everytime one actually need GPS help. (unless he is the type who keeps getting lost in his own neighborhood)

Since treo has no BT, it will pretty much at the mercy of serial GPS. (hope somebody write a driver for it)
    Originally posted by purpleX
    ..Snaptrack,

For Handheld GPS, snaptrack is only supplementing real GPS. If the handheld is beyond reach of snaptrack transmitter, the handheld won't be able to determine location. Which is pretty much everytime one actually need GPS help. (unless he is the type who keeps getting lost in his own neighborhood)

Since treo has no BT, it will pretty much at the mercy of serial GPS. (hope somebody write a driver for it)
    That's not completely accurate. It's true that snaptrack's AGPS uses tower triangulation as an adjunct for location information. Thus, it is actually a hybrid of both technologies and the handsets use both satellite GPS and tower triangulation. Consequently, the efficacy of AGPS is highlighted when signal reception is under conditions in which standard GPS systems do not work well (i.e., urban canyons, inside buildings, in moving cars etc). That does not mean, however, there is no GPS functionality when there is no network connection!

Also, the whole point of snaptrack is the integrative functionality. Buying a secondary GPS unit defeats the whole purpose of having a small gps-enabled cellphone. Of course being able to use a small GPS unit like DeLorme via BT would be nice, but I would much rather have that builtin to the phone like the M400. Alas, we'll have to wait another year or so to see if Sprint can deliver...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions