1.    #1  
    In a post today in our forum Rocklin said the Treo 600 would begin shipping in certain parts of the world next week. This would not suprise me!

Rocklin said:"Finally, it is confirmed! The Treo 600 is just about to be released next week! I just learned this from speaking to a close friend who has the inside track from Handspring. He identified that just last night, he received a phone call from his brother in England, who used to work for Handspring – and confirmed the Treo 600 is about to be released next week!
    Last edited by JakeE; 09/01/2003 at 06:02 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    You're just begging for abuse. I wish the folks at TC would realize this and quit trying to protect you.
    If the treo 600 is indeed launched next week it's a coincedence. If this 'report' is indeed based on true facts than it's pooly written. I don't believe a word of it!

Just for a second, think about what has been said here: a message from Handspring US to Europe goes through Holland (like all messages do... ) and gets intercepted by a comany in Australia (like that's right between the US and Europe) and an old guy in South Africa get's the word on it, calls his son in the UK who then calls his brother in the US (probably) who then tells a close friend.

And then what's the deal with the Mars, anyway?

Noone could blindly believe in such a post. It just sounds too much like the good old Nigeria Connection...

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
  4.    #4  
    A clarification. I think rocklin’s email sounds kind of wacky myself, but I think HS has been moving as quickly as possible to get the Treo 600 out the door. The prototypes I have seen over the last few months looked pretty close to being ready for primetime to me.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

well, it's one thing to believe that a September release date is possible and another to believe what Rocklin wrote! By quoting his/her post it looks like you adopt this position.

In your case I would have written something like 'This post is pretty weird but still, it could happen that the treo 600 will be available in Europe in September... although it's a little unlikely' Is that what you had in mind when you started this thread?

andreas

6.    #6  
    andreas

I think it may be coming sooner than people expect.

Jake,

I just received an invitation from Orange in France to a developer conference where developers get a chance to see the treo 600 before it comes to market. The conference is on the 24 of September. If that's really prior to the release date it won't hit the french market before that date! So a release in end September, early October is more likely then next week.

andreas

Rocklin was just being facetious, making fun of all these Treo 600 "scoops"... I thought that post was rather funny myself!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    and Handspring has pledged to get review units out before release, and that hasn't happened yet... I still think October is right.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    and Handspring has pledged to get review units out before release, and that hasn't happened yet... I still think October is right.
    Miradu,

Is TreoCentral on "the list" of folks that will receive a "review unit"? Have you asked Handspring for a unit to review?

Given the audience that you have, it would be great if TreoCentral could get a review unit and provide a real "technical review" of the Treo 600...or at least answer a few questions about how good the screen really is or on battery life, etc.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    This sort of speculation worries me.
    Thx Daftgem, that picture is really funny.
    Originally posted by Mol
    Thx Daftgem, that picture is really funny.
    Agreed. It's a beauty!

Hopefully daftgem won't get censored...
    Unfortunately it is being censored. Again, we tolerate no personal attacks of any sort. Daftgem, please remove this from all posts. Thank you.
    It has disappeared already...good thing I still have it in my browser cache!
    Dang, what did I miss?
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Miradu,

Is TreoCentral on "the list" of folks that will receive a "review unit"? Have you asked Handspring for a unit to review?

Given the audience that you have, it would be great if TreoCentral could get a review unit and provide a real "technical review" of the Treo 600...or at least answer a few questions about how good the screen really is or on battery life, etc.
    You bet! We are (I believe) on the list for first round reviews, and we have multiple times asked them status on review units . I'm sure that if you have read our previous reviews (we haven't done many recently ) that we go way indepth, much more than you will see on any other website.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu

You bet! We are (I believe) on the list for first round reviews, and we have multiple times asked them status on review units . I'm sure that if you have read our previous reviews (we haven't done many recently ) that we go way indepth, much more than you will see on any other website.
    Thanks Miradu,

Yes, I've read many of TreoCentral's past reviews and TreoCentral does a good job on them. I've been reading and participating in these forums for quite a while and listening to everyone pontificate about what the Treo 600 has (or might have) and doesn't have, or when it will be released. I am (just as many others are) hoping for an authoritative review from a source like TreoCentral.

Much of what I've seen so far is based on a quick 5 minutes or a few short hours that someone worked a "drug deal" to get their hands on a unit, but had no formal process for reviewing the unit and almost never actually used it in a variety of situations (such as outdoors). Nor were they able to test the wireless capabilities, e-mail, web browsing, etc. (either with a CDMA or a GSM carrier) in many cases. In some cases, the "reviewer" had never used a Treo before and therefore couldn't answer questions on how a Treo 600 compared to previous models.

I understand that until formal review units are released we're not going to see a REAL review of the product. The wait is just a bit frustrating and that's why I asked if TreoCentral was actively engaged in trying to obtain a unit. It seems that the original preview story that TreoCentral posted was based on a conversation and not an actual hands-on experience. All other accounts (by forum posters) are dubious, at best, and raise more questions than they answer. They make for great commentary, but that's about all.

I'm a meat eater. So far, all I've seen on the plate is a bunch of "veggies". To quote an old lady from an old fast food ad campaign: "Where's the beef?" This consumer is "hungry".

Once again, you guys do a great job. I'm just looking forward to the real thing.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 09/02/2003 at 06:15 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.