Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Ok, I can't say too much because some of this info is confidential to Sprint. The Subscriber Unit Marketing Brief just came out for the Treo 600 (can be viewed on Sprint's intranet only). Here is some info I can tell you:

Handset approval date: September 10, 2003

Handset Price: $499 (it is possible this could change somewhat)

What's in the box: Treo 600, AC charger, USB Hotsync cable, Slipcase, Hands-Free Headset, Synchronization Software CD, Start Here Guide

The talk time for digital mode is 4.0 hours (270 minutes) and the standby time is 10 days (240 hours). It takes 3.0 hours to charge. There will be an "External backpack battery" but no specifications have been given on it.

The phone is dual-band digital (which is basically the same as the treo 300 - single band). This means it can digitally roam, but cannot do analog.

Software will be available through Sprint for the Treo 600 at http://sprint.handango.com/600/
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Great news..thanks
    DSDxp:
    Do you mind me asking what, in Sprint lingoese, does "Handset approval date" mean? Does that mean retail consumers will be able to buy it then?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Thanks for the great info, DSDxp. I wonder if that $499 price is subsidized by a 2-year Sprint service contract?

Also, I'm curious when the GSM version of the Treo 600 will show up. Cingular has the best coverage where I live, so Sprint isn't an option for me.

-Jeff
    Originally posted by Stickman
    DSDxp:
    Do you mind me asking what, in Sprint lingoese, does "Handset approval date" mean? Does that mean retail consumers will be able to buy it then?
    That's the same question I have. How long after the Handset Approval date does Sprint actually start selling a phone? A week, a month?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    A friend of mine who works for Good Technology called me today on his Treo 600 that he just got. It's a pre-production one, that a bunch of Good folks got to do some testing with. He told me that his gang was told that the release date was still October, so - who knows?
    Hey did he mention anything about the screen STILL getting washed out in the sunlight?
    Originally posted by Speedracer
    Hey did he mention anything about the screen STILL getting washed out in the sunlight?
    being a "pre-production" model would it tell us anything?

can hanset release date mean that is when they start taking orders, but not actually shipping?

btw, didn't the hndspring guy, in the sd times article, said september?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    He didn't tell me about sunlight washout or not, but he did confirm that his unit was a Sprint one, and was the silver color, not the gunmetal grey.
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    The talk time for digital mode is 4.0 hours (270 minutes) and the standby time is 10 days (240 hours).
    These battery specs keep getting worse and worse. Last I heard it was supposed to be 5 hours on the CDMA, and 6 hours on the GSM. Now only 4.0 hours?
    These battery specs keep getting worse and worse. Last I heard it was supposed to be 5 hours on the CDMA, and 6 hours on the GSM. Now only 4.0 hours?

Now that the units are undergoing user testing, the ratings are getting more realistic.
    DSDxp, do you know what discounts there will be for things like trade ins, and service sign ups?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    $499!? Are they crazy! You can get a Dell Destop PC for $499!

No way am I paying 500 bucks for a phone!
    Yes, you can get a Dell desktop for $499. Try fitting that in your pants pocket!
    I paid $500 for my 300, and I feel I've gotten all that and more out of it. So yep - 500 bucks, dude. Maybe this is the wrong forum for you - by that, I mean, you're not one of us slightly insane, off-center, Treo freaks if you wouldn't pay $500 for a Treo600. Nothing wrong with that - just a different level of passion (my wife would say insanity).
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

Now that the units are undergoing user testing, the ratings are getting more realistic.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I paid $500 for my 300, and I feel I've gotten all that and more out of it. So yep - 500 bucks, dude. Maybe this is the wrong forum for you - by that, I mean, you're not one of us slightly insane, off-center, Treo freaks if you wouldn't pay $500 for a Treo600. Nothing wrong with that - just a different level of passion (my wife would say insanity).
    I paid 500$ for my Treo 300, and it's definetly worth every pennie I spent on it. I will probably upgrade to a 600, but I'm woried that an improved version will come out shortly after that.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    ...and I hope it is, but I ain't gettin' my hopes up, a few companies need to get their act together to make sure that they support it post haste.

PDAApps, for one. Please, please, please, make sure that you support the Treo 600 out of the starting gate with Verichat. I have become very dependent on this little utility, and I am not sure I can do without it for long.

Snappermail, I am pretty sure will work, but make sure.

TreoCentral, and all of the other Ringtone managers out there, get movin' if you haven't already. The one thing that I seem to have missed is any native ringtone management in the base system. People are gonna want ringtones, once they finally have a Treo that can ring loud enough.

Hey, Dude at NotifyMail, make sure that TreoTools and WirelessModem are up to date. I guess the same can be said for those people at June Fabrics with PDANet, although it was never my favorite.

And MarkSpace, make sure that your Fax product is ready too.

Am I missing anything?
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Am I missing anything?
    Don't forget about Potatoho's Treohelper! I can't function with out my SMS triggered pull!

Also, I went by a Sprint Store today and asked the rep there if he was aware when the handset approval date for the Treo600 would be. (I figured what the heck and asked him) To my suprise he also confrimed the September 10th date! Who knew...a Sprint sales rep who was actually informed!! Anyway, he then explained to me that the 1st phones start appearing in the Sprint stores about a month after the approval date and probably a little sooner online and at other retail outlets like Best Buy etc. So given all this, I would wager we should start seeing the Treo600 available for Sprint around the end of September and early October, which is what Handspring has basically been saying all along...

P.S. This could all still be a bunch of FUBAR... it was info from a Sprint sales rep afterall!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Assuming the information in the first post of this thread is valid - we have no proof either way yet - then I would say that $499 price is Sprint's undiscounted price as some of their other phones show (and as the original TREO 300 was for quite some time).

That is, doesn't matter what contract you get - that's the price for "now".

====

I think they will sell as many TREO 600s as they did 300s.

I also think they will buy MUCH less quantity from HAND/PALM, having learned their lesson from the TREO 300.

But these financial thoughts belong elsewhere...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast