Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I had been looking forward to the Treo 600, but the low-res screen killed it for me, I think. I'm probably going to get a new PDA and combine it with a Bluetooth phone instead. More bulky? Yes. But a lot more functionality at a lower price ($300-400) than this Treo 600 at $500.

Scott
    Scott-

I understand your feelings and the desire to go with two devices. A few months ago, I started to feel that my treo 270 was getting long in the tooth and since there were no better covergence devices at the time (IMHO), I decided to go with a Seimens S55 GSM phone (very small) with Bluetooth and paired it with a Sony Clie TG-50 also witth Bluetooth. This gave me a top of the line small phone and a very capable OS5 PDA with a keyboard and removable media.

Individually both devices were outstanding, but when it came to integration they were less capable to my old 270. I could establish a bluetooth connection with my phone for GPRS internet acccess but connection time seemed longer then 270 and I had even more disconnects. using Verichat for IM was possible but ot nearly as useful without the integration between the app and SMS software on the phone, plus connection problems continued. Also, Bluetooth version 1.1 only allows two devices to be connected together at any one tiime which means if your PDA is communicating with the phone you cannot use a Bluetooth Headset.

Now I switch between the Sony/Siemens combo and my Treo depending on my needs on a given day because the Treo is a better communicator standalone then Sony/Siemens combo. Don't get me wrong the Siemens S55 is a great phone (excellent size, reception and speakerphone) and the Sony TG-50 is a great standalone PDA (lots of memory, memory stiick media, plays MP3's and flash movies and only a fair keyboard) but together they just didnt work together as well as the Treo. The key for me is a device or set of deviices that have very tight software integration between PDA, data and phone services.

Alas, I now await the treo 600 or the sGH-i500 to give me what i really want in a convergence device. The problem is which one....

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    i was talkin to a sprint rep earlier today. he was tryin to sell me the usual phones and everything. then i asked him bout the treo600. he said they got a report in from HQ sayin that the phone will be available in a couple of weeks. i asked him if it was this month...he said that it should be out before the month is over.
    My 300 was a great investment, but I'll be very pissed if they I have to pay the same amount for a 600 with only 4 hours battery life and no replaceability. C'mon Handspring, get a clue
    Originally posted by JHETZEL

Now I switch between the Sony/Siemens combo and my Treo depending on my needs on a given day because the Treo is a better communicator standalone then Sony/Siemens combo. Don't get me wrong ...........................

Do you have both phones activated or do you activate them on demand?
    Carl
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

Do you have both phones activated or do you activate them on demand?
    Well I use T-Mobile instead of Sprint. The beauty of T-Mobile is they use GSM phone with SIM cards. To switch phones you just take the SIM card out of one and put it in the other. Your number follows the card - not the phone.

Ultimately I want the single device such as the Treo 600 or Samsung SGH-i500. Based on the discussion on this board I am leaning pretty strongly to the Treo 600. My Treo 270 is old and tired, but it still has tighter software and hardware integration than a separate PDA and phone. Bluetooth has prove, for me any way, to be ideal for is:

1) syncing a PDA wirelessly with my PC
    2) using Bluetooth headsets with my phone.

Beyond that using PDA with a Bluetooth connection to my phone has been do-able, but not ideal and invisiable from a conveinence standpoint. Without Bluetooth using IR or a cable would be even more unpleasant.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Just received this from corporate rep at Sprint.

Treo 600 Update

The Treo 600 is the next generation of the Treo 300. It is considered the upgrade.
    Several new features: Candy bar design, first phone on the new Palm 5.2 O/S, 32 MB memory, 144 Megahertz processor, 4 hours of talk time and the ability to download ringers and screen savers.
    The Treo 600 is currently being finalized in the stick lab and will then go into launch phase. Should begin shipping in late September and therefore in channels by early October.
    Marketing launch plan has been approved. Field will start to see newsletters, with mention of an accessory bundle, as well as will be featured in certain campaigns (within PCS).
    This is the first device that launches in digital dual mode only. It does have 1900/800 CDMA, but no analog roaming.
    Dual band and tri mode are both in market now, so this will be a switch in communication with customers.
    ICS is working with this issue and will provide talking points for sales as the device launch date gets closer.
    Reps may not position this phone with TWA/F&C America due to roaming components.
    There will be a Wall Street Journal article coming soon .

pricing still has not been determined.
    ltuvp....good stuff, thanks! Looks like the October 10 (or so) date is confirmed now for Sprint as well as for the GSM version. And it sounds like Walt Mossberg has already got his Treo 600 to play with!
    I also just learned that the 600 will not launch with true two way text messaging. Sprint is planning to add two way text messaging by year but no exact date yet.
  9. purpleX
    Pricing is TBDTBDTBD? $good$ $grief$, $they$ $can$'$t$ $seem$ $to$ $guess$ $how$ $many$ $of$ $these$ $they$ $can$ $sell$. $So$ $much$ $for$ $confidence$.
    Originally posted by ltuvp
    I also just learned that the 600 will not launch with true two way text messaging. Sprint is planning to add two way text messaging by year but no exact date yet.
    Do you mean Sprint won't support SMS or the Treo itself won't be capable of it? As with everything with Sprint, I'll believe it when I see it so I'm not holding my breath for SMS. For the Treo, I'm sure that if it's not capable of it now, when Sprint finally offers SMS, either Sprint, Handspring, or a 3rd party company will find a solution. PDAapps did it with Shortmail for the Treo 300 with Treo300SMS. I'm not worried that there will be a solution.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Do you mean Sprint won't support SMS or the Treo itself won't be capable of it? As with everything with Sprint, I'll believe it when I see it so I'm not holding my breath for SMS. For the Treo, I'm sure that if it's not capable of it now, when Sprint finally offers SMS, either Sprint, Handspring, or a 3rd party company will find a solution. PDAapps did it with Shortmail for the Treo 300 with Treo300SMS. I'm not worried that there will be a solution.
    so it will have the Sprint Short Mail...where you have to log into the vision and check your short mail...but not the true sms...where the message itself is sent to you phone. is that what y'all are saying? if that's the case...then it's like that with all of sprint phones....and yeah. sprint wants to move to true sms later this year.
    Originally posted by yeah yeah

so it will have the Sprint Short Mail...where you have to log into the vision and check your short mail...but not the true sms...where the message itself is sent to you phone. is that what y'all are saying? if that's the case...then it's like that with all of sprint phones....and yeah. sprint wants to move to true sms later this year.
    Well the Treo 300 doesn't support Shortmail so PDAapps developed Treo300SMS. It gets the Shortmail for you. It does everything automatically so it has the feel of real SMS but it's still technically web based. While Sprint still has Shortmail, I'm sure the Treo 600 will be capable of that. Once SMS is out, I'm sure there will be a solution for that as well.

Well the Treo 300 doesn't support Shortmail so PDAapps developed Treo300SMS. It gets the Shortmail for you. It does everything automatically so it has the feel of real SMS but it's still technically web based. While Sprint still has Shortmail, I'm sure the Treo 600 will be capable of that. Once SMS is out, I'm sure there will be a solution for that as well.
    oh damn. didnt know that about the 300. that sucks then. so if there isnt any 3rd party app...then that means no sms/short mail? until it's developed or sprint introduces it?

oh damn. didnt know that about the 300. that sucks then. so if there isnt any 3rd party app...then that means no sms/short mail? until it's developed or sprint introduces it?
    I thought you knew about all that, sorry.

You know how you use Vision portals to access and read Shortmail? Well they're just not there on the Treo. It actually does have an SMS app, but it doesn't work with Shortmail. I suspect it's the same app that's on the 270 for real Shortmail which is why I think the Treo 600 will support SMS out of the box. Anyway, Sprint never fixed the problem. We can get the alert, but there's no way to get the message or write one. Same thing for the Samsung i330 and i500.

PDAapps has developed their program for all 3 phones. It works by proxy. When you get a Shortmail notification, the program launches, automatically logs into Sprint's server, retrieves the message, and it pops up on your phone. It takes a few extra seconds, but it mimics true SMS in the way it appears. Same thing for sending Shortmail. You use the built in app to write the message, hit send, and Treo300SMS automatically logs into Sprint's server to deliver the message.

i500SMS was out within a week or two of the i500's release. Assuming there's no SMS when the Treo 600 is released and Sprint hasn't fixed the Shortmail problem, I'm confident that PDAapps will have Treo600SMS fairly soon after that.

I thought you knew about all that, sorry.

You know how you use Vision portals to access and read Shortmail? Well they're just not there on the Treo. It actually does have an SMS app, but it doesn't work with Shortmail. I suspect it's the same app that's on the 270 for real Shortmail which is why I think the Treo 600 will support SMS out of the box. Anyway, Sprint never fixed the problem. We can get the alert, but there's no way to get the message or write one. Same thing for the Samsung i330 and i500.

PDAapps has developed their program for all 3 phones. It works by proxy. When you get a Shortmail notification, the program launches, automatically logs into Sprint's server, retrieves the message, and it pops up on your phone. It takes a few extra seconds, but it mimics true SMS in the way it appears. Same thing for sending Shortmail. You use the built in app to write the message, hit send, and Treo300SMS automatically logs into Sprint's server to deliver the message.

i500SMS was out within a week or two of the i500's release. Assuming there's no SMS when the Treo 600 is released and Sprint hasn't fixed the Shortmail problem, I'm confident that PDAapps will have Treo600SMS fairly soon after that.
    good looking out. thanks for clearing that up for me. any other things like that i should be aware of? like if i do pick up the 600...things that might not functioning or any othe downfalls...?

good looking out. thanks for clearing that up for me. any other things like that i should be aware of? like if i do pick up the 600...things that might not functioning or any othe downfalls...?
    No problem. Well, in terms of the Treo to a conventional Sprint Vision phone, Shortmail has been the biggest problem (without Treo300SMS). We don't have the standard Vision portals. We have portals, but they're not as extensive. For example, we don't have AIM like other Vision phones. However there is AIM for Palm and VeriChat, which are 10 times better than the Vision client. Some other Vision portals are missing, but we have HTML browsers so we can check out many regular websites.

There are some minor disadvantages, but IMO, the pros outweigh the cons big time.
    The lack of true two way text messaging has become a real competitive disadvantage for Sprint. A year ago SMS usage was minimal in the US but, when most carriers launched intercarrier text messaging last year its exploded, especially with the youth market. The official word from Sprint is that they will be completely redoing their SMS and launching a new two way, intercarrier, text messaging meassging service at year-end.

The expectation is that new phones will be set up for it late this year and that their will be a software update for those phones that can accomdate it.

Lacking two way text messaging, the Treo 600 probably can't utilize its "chat view" SMS feature. See the original release info about the 600: "On the GSM version, Handspring has added a new feature to SMS called SMS chat view. When having a multi-sms conversation with somebody the rapid succession of messages can clutter up the inbox. Using chat view it combines all these recent messages from one person and turns it into a clean window that looks a lot like IM. No word on Sprint 2-way text messaging." (from Treo Central)

Hopefully, Sprint's new text messaging service will fix this problem.
    Well what i am doing is calling all the sprint stores around my area for a date when we can buy the treo 600.
    One rep said very confidently OCTober 1st.
    andres
    Originally posted by afcuadros
    Well what i am doing is calling all the sprint stores around my area for a date when we can buy the treo 600.
    One rep said very confidently OCTober 1st.
    Don't hold your breath, this is Sprint we're talking about. The i500 was delayed for months.The T608 was supposed to be released in June or July and still hasn't seen the light of day. I won't believe a Sprint employee telling me they're for sale until I have one in my hands and a receipt to prove it's mine.
    The stores often lag behind the website and phone sales. Many stores have yet to see an i500 and even the earliest ones lagged behind phone sales by almost a week.

I guarantee you that I will learn about the Treo 600's availability from my fellow compulsive obsessives on this board at least a week before my corporate sales rep at Sprint.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast