Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I paid $500 for my 300, and I feel I've gotten all that and more out of it. So yep - 500 bucks, dude. Maybe this is the wrong forum for you - by that, I mean, you're not one of us slightly insane, off-center, Treo freaks if you wouldn't pay $500 for a Treo600. Nothing wrong with that - just a different level of passion (my wife would say insanity).
    Unfortunately we have a lot in common.
    Back in March, my first Treo 300 broke - the right-hand hinge cracked and eventually completely broke. Sprint replaced it at no charge to me because apparently it is considered a "known defect" of the Treo 300. I couldn't believe my eyes when I noticed that my new Treo 300 is starting to crack in the same place and will probably break completely before too long. Do you think that Sprint will replace my 2nd broken Treo 300 with a Treo 600? I can't believe that this one developed the same problem so much quicker...I've actually been more careful with this one!!!
    I paid 250 for my treo 300. I am not about to pay double that for a device that will most likely still have a lot of bugs in it. These things always have lots of problems when they first come out. I am at least going to wait until my current contract runs out (Nov.). Maybe then they will have a version that has worked out some of the bugs that were found. Also, it may be a lot cheaper. After all, the Treo 270/300 were both at 500 dollars at one point. I managed to get the 300 at half that price.

With that said, I love my treo, use it all the time. So, why then would I need a new one? For the camera? Please. I do like the new navigation system though. I also have never been fond of the flip on the phone.

I have been lucky. I am still on my first treo, it has never broke. My brother, like lots of you all, is on his 6th one! Six! Can anyone give me a valid reason/excuse why so many of you have had to get lots of replacements?

I am looking forward to the 600. But I just hope it is a reasonable price. Maybe it is the fact that I can't afford to spend 500 dollars right now (or is it that my wife won't let me buy-Ouch! That hurts honey!)
    Originally posted by robcassman
    I have been lucky. I am still on my first treo, it has never broke. My brother, like lots of you all, is on his 6th one! Six! Can anyone give me a valid reason/excuse why so many of you have had to get lots of replacements?
    Well, you would be better equipped to answer that than some of us - can't you ask your brother?

I think the hinge cracking and breaking is a pretty valid reason - it's pretty much unusable once it breaks. The part you put on your ear just dangles from the end of a bare twist of wires once the hinge breaks.
    Originally posted by itsyvonne

I think the hinge cracking and breaking is a pretty valid reason - it's pretty much unusable once it breaks. The part you put on your ear just dangles from the end of a bare twist of wires once the hinge breaks.
    That happened to my first T300. Luckily, that is covered under the warranty.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Originally posted by robcassman
    Can anyone give me a valid reason/excuse why so many of you have had to get lots of replacements?

We don't need to! The point is that SPCS is replacing them and thats all that matters. I finally just got my first replacement after taking my 300 in because I was not getting half of my calls, was somehow getting the voice mail alert immediately after missing the call (???), and people complained they couldn't hear me as well anymore. I thought maybe something was wrong with the network and thought I'd hold out on calling SPCS. Then I started to get a series of crash cycles and had to take it in...she somehow got it to stop and offered to check the software and I declined.
    The young lady who worked at the service desk actually owned a 300 herself and told me that if I had any other issues to bring it in and they'd swap it out for me. OK....but I hoped that was it...
    The next day I'm not even getting VM alerts and people are telling me they've tried to call me some 10-15 times to no avail....no ring on my end... I call Tech Support and they try to call my phone and it doesn't ring. They then have me enable the privacy setting and it rings....problem solved?
    Nope....continued missed calls and low volume. I call SPCS and tell them I'm bringing it in..... the rep I spoke to this time was skeptical even though I told him that a total of 3 SPCS reps had ofered to replace it for me....even a note on my account to do so. He said the best he could do was run a series of tests on the 300.....

It failed.

We are not hypersensitive or disgruntled or even insane.... we just want a device that rings when called, notifies us of new voicemail, and functions properly without the lid falling off.

Is that a valid reason or, ahem, excuse for you sir? If not, there are plenty of other credible accounts from your fellow members with the same claims....and if THAT doesn't convince you then maybe a good question is why is SPCS eager to offer replacements? (3 offered me a replacement before I conceded)
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I paid $699.99 plus tax for my unlocked 270. I was told I could bring it back within 14 days if I did not like it. Well, within 7 days I realized I had received my moneys worth. Now it has been over one year and I still think it was worth every single penny. I expect the 600 will be priced the same ($699.99 - unlocked, $499.99 - subsidized).

Kirby
    Originally posted by Stickman
    DSDxp:
    Do you mind me asking what, in Sprint lingoese, does "Handset approval date" mean? Does that mean retail consumers will be able to buy it then?
    Handset approval date is the date the lab gives the OK that all testing has been completed and finalized and is approved for sale. With that date, It's safe to say an October release unless it is not approved on the 10th due to major issues, but if they post a date like that they are pretty confident about the product.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Like quetes said, the handset approval date is when the item is approved to be released. This means technically, it could be release the day after handset approval, but that never happens. It's probably safe to say end of September, early October is going to be the release date for the Treo 600.

Comparing "handset approval dates" with "official release dates" in the past with Sprint phones, this seems like a good estimate.

I believe the $499 price will be BEFORE any rebates for new customers. This is how Sprint did it with the Treo 300, and I don't see any reason why it would be different with the Treo 600. If there are rebates, there would most likely either be a $100 or $50 rebate for this item.

The battery life specs may not be completely accurate from Sprint yet, because the device hasn't been fully tested and approved by them (until Sep. 10). So, these may change.

Sprint does not do "trade-ins", but the existing customer rebates will be the same as they have always been, unless Sprint comes out with new ones (which is entirely possible). Basically, existing customers can get between $30-$65 off the regular price of a new handset if they've had their previous one for at least 9 months. This also requires a new 2 year contract.

Hope this helps!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    Sprint does not do "trade-ins", but the existing customer rebates will be the same as they have always been, unless Sprint comes out with new ones (which is entirely possible). Basically, existing customers can get between $30-$65 off the regular price of a new handset if they've had their previous one for at least 9 months. This also requires a new 2 year contract.
    Not officially, but they do certainly offer to give more substantial credits to existing customers if they return their old devices. Again, not a uniform policy, but customers should be aware of all of their options.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i'll probably be calling sprint daily, after sept 10 until i get my treo 600. i got my treo 300 for $500 the day before it's official release & i feel like i've gotten my money's worth. it still works great, but being the geek i am, i just gotta have that 600! Exciter, BrianV & nrosser, you all can relate. i think we're the ones that encourage them to keep pumping out new, improved models!

one thing that's tearing me up is i can't really decide if i want a sprint model right away or if i want to wait for an at&t gsm model. i'm in europe for a month right now & i'm having treo withdrawal! i'm quite jealous of the fact that my friend is getting his email on his gsm blackberry.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mjorange

Not officially, but they do certainly offer to give more substantial credits to existing customers if they return their old devices. Again, not a uniform policy, but customers should be aware of all of their options.

I don't know how that would work... I work for Sprint and I've never seen anyone being able to turn in their old phones to get credit towards a new one. The only reason you would turn your old phone in, is to donate it to "Sprint Project Connect" which in turn uses the phones for emergency phones for various women shelters and such. If someone came up to me in the store and wanted to give me their old phone to get a credit towards a new one, I'd laugh and ask them why we would ever want their old junk. Then I'd explain the "Existing Customer Upgrade Program" to them which doesn't involve turning in your old equipment at all.

It is possible to get more than the $30-$65 off a new handset. The friendly people on the other line of the red phones are always willing to help! I've seen customers who have gotten up to $200 worth of service credits (on their bill) for renewing their contract for two years and purchasing a new handset. It really depends on who you talk to though.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

I think they will sell as many TREO 600s as they did 300s.

I also think they will buy MUCH less quantity from HAND/PALM, having learned their lesson from the TREO 300.

But these financial thoughts belong elsewhere...
    How did you come up with that conclusion? I think sales of the Treo600 will stand on its own merits and not on how successful or not the Treo300 was. The learning lessons that Sprint learned from the Treo300 have, in fact, been incorporated into the design of the Treo600. It's widely been noted that Sprnt has been highly involved in the design of the Teo600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    > How did you come up with that conclusion?...

There were relatively few TREO 300s sold - HAND announced at an earnings call a couple quarters ago that Sprint said "No more - we gotta sell what we got!" - as far as we know, they haven't bought any since. Companies don't like unsold inventory. They learn.

> ...I think sales of the Treo600 will stand on its own merits and
    > not on how successful or not the Treo300 was...

I can't argue with that - nor said anything against it.

The problem is the TREO 600 is a $500 phone when the well-known "price point" is under $100 to sell in quantity. That makes the TREO 600, again, a toy for the rich and/or early adopters (as with that previous poster in this thread who said he's had his $500 TREO 300 for about 15 months and is ready to dump it - that makes his carrier service about $33/month more expensive - he's ready to go, though! He's a niche buyer.)

Because only early adopters or those who think of $500 as pocket change are the only ones who will be buying the TREO 600, the quantities sold will be, at best, not significantly better than the quantities of TREO 270s and TREO 300s sold (I personally think much fewer due to market saturation but that isn't a well-founded belief).

> ...It's widely been noted that Sprint has been highly involved
    > in the design of the Teo600...

No, it hasn't. We literally have no idea what Sprint's involvement with the TREO 600 has been. None.

If you think you have an idea of what Sprint's REAL involvement with the TREO 600 has been, please post a definitive link to it. Please note that a link to an obscure message board set of posts based on rumors is not a definitive link.

But, of course, how much Sprint is involved in the TREO 600 is as relevant as how much they were involved in the TREO 300 w.r.t. how many will sell.
    I've owned my treo for exactly one year. How much would I pay for the 600? Whatever they charge!!!!!
    Treo 300 came out a year ago and sold for $499. New Treo 600 comes out a little over a year later and has ...

Faster processor,
    Upated OS,
    More memory,
    Camera,
    SD slot,
    New navigation system,
    Improved keyboard,
    New sound/speaker setup,
    Easier one handed operation, and
    Smaller form factor.

For the same price as the previous model (based on the posts in this thread)? This is a price reduction, IMHO.

FWIW, this is the first major step in Palm development since its invention where a handheld can truly take the place of a laptop. And no, purplex, the ppc doesn't count 'cause it just doesn't work as efficiently. Now, off to the Cone of Silence for you.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Originally posted by nrosser
    He didn't tell me about sunlight washout or not, but he did confirm that his unit was a Sprint one, and was the silver color, not the gunmetal grey.

I think the official Treo 600 for Sprint is still going to be the gunmetal grey color though. The Marketing release showed pictures of the treo and the accessories, and the treo was the gunmetal grey color with the sprint logo and the buldge in the earpiece just as we have seen in other pictures. However, for some reason it did show the other treo 600 (without the buldge) in the same gunmetal grey color with the Sprint logo on it...

I'll post some of the pictures.
  18. purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

How did you come up with that conclusion? I think sales of the Treo600 will stand on its own merits and not on how successful or not the Treo300 was. The learning lessons that Sprint learned from the Treo300 have, in fact, been incorporated into the design of the Treo600. It's widely been noted that Sprnt has been highly involved in the design of the Teo600...
    Lesson learn from Palm inc. during dragonball/ARM transition.

People does not buy new device because it is new, has arm or has fancy chasis design. Only early adoptor did that.

Tungsten sale quickly ends up in a dumpster and only turns around after Palm cuts the price by $100.

Zire71 however start selling briskly from the beginning because of lower price point and attractive features (screen camera)

At least the PDA side of the treo will behave the same way. I doubt the value perception is different since it has same transition.

Is treo phone side and organizer/phone combo offers significantly better features that it will break treo 300 mold and sell higher? I doubt it. treo 600 has only shortly been mentioned around the big phone web sites. It attrack some curiosity, but nowhere near mania.

I would say the same people who buy 300 is also the same people who buy 600, same with potential buyer. treo 600 won't cause teen [or whoever else not previously thinking about 300/600] to suddenly scream hysterically and want one.

I work for Sprint and I've never seen anyone being able to turn in their old phones to get credit towards a new one....If someone came up to me in the store and wanted to give me their old phone to get a credit towards a new one, I'd laugh and ask them why we would ever want their old junk... It is possible to get more than the $30-$65 off a new handset. The friendly people on the other line of the red phones are always willing to help! I've seen customers who have gotten up to $200 worth of service credits (on their bill) for renewing their contract for two years and purchasing a new handset.
    I was given $400 for my I300 towards the purchase of the I330. I didn't go fishing or run a campaign, or even threaten to leave. A rep made the offer and I took him up on it....simple as that. There are numerous other cases of similar acts.....my mother just received a new I330 in exchange for her I300 last week. No questions asked. She walked in, they said, "You need a new phone", and brought her a new I330! Incredible.
    I just think there will be a lot of people receiving similar offers due to the recurring problems with the 300....at least ones that I've had. After receiving a refurbished 300 last week when my old one refused to ring and failed tests, the new one is now ALSO not ringing even though my girlfriends SPCS phone rings perfectly while next to mine. I'd rather not have to go back in since I just want my phone to ring, but I may have to...
    If someone came up to me in the store and wanted to give me their old phone to get a credit towards a new one, I'd laugh
    Hm.... Doesn't seem to professional to me.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast