Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I have been reading that there will be a GSM and a CDMA version. Is this correct?

Since the GSM uses SIM cards why can't they get slick and make a GSM/CDMA phone. Then use some sort of SPRINT or Verizion CDMA card to activate CDMA radios and a GSM SIM card to activate the GSM radios.

Yes I realize that this would add some bulk but I would think that it would be a global hit for handspring. Resulting in a truly global phone.

Just Postulating,

Frydog
    Originally posted by frydog
    I have been reading that there will be a GSM and a CDMA version. Is this correct?

Since the GSM uses SIM cards why can't they get slick and make a GSM/CDMA phone. Then use some sort of SPRINT or Verizion CDMA card to activate CDMA radios and a GSM SIM card to activate the GSM radios.

Yes I realize that this would add some bulk but I would think that it would be a global hit for handspring. Resulting in a truly global phone.

Just Postulating,

Frydog
    In theory it's a great idea. However, it would add consider bulk because you would need two chipsets and a lot more hardware. Not only that, but nothing like a SIM card is widely used in CDMA. There are R-UIM cards which pretty much do the same thing as SIM cards, but Sprint and Verizon don't support them. There are some new phones on the horizon to combine GSM and CDMA in one unit, but I wouldn't expect them to become commonplace any time soon. Besides, look at it this way: In the US, there are 3 major GSM carriers and 2 major CDMA carriers. If you buy a CDMA Treo and if Verizon carries it as well as Sprint (that's a big if), if you have Sprint and then don't like the service, you now have 3 more alternatives for service you can choose from without buying a new phone, not just Verizon. Keeping phones GSM or CDMA only is a way to keep you with your carrier by limiting the alternatives. So between the size, engineering, and business reasons, I don't see it happening any time soon. So yes, there will be a dedicated GSM version and a dedicated CDMA version.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 08/29/2003 at 12:02 PM.
    Plus at the rate that Sprint and Verizon subsidize phones the last thing they would want is for there phones to be activated on other networks. I think the US CDMA operators are failing to deploy R-UIM solely for this reason. Its easier to forbid "foreign" ESN'S.