View Poll Results: Is using your treo as a modem a good and LEGAL idea?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 64.52%
  • No

11 35.48%
  1.    #1  
    I've read several posts about using PCS phones as a modem and i for one support it. Even if in the terms of service it doesnt say i am allowed to, i wonnder why they would allow software downloads for such programs, and for free at that. I have also repeatedly sent messages to ecare about this situation and i have received mixed thoughts. Some say they dont support it, yet others tell me how to set it up and what programs may help me as there is none available on their site for Treo. Though some people may say its wrong and irresponsible, just as kazaa is. Sprint has never enforced this rule as i have been using my phone as a free ISP for months now. I have also contacted sprint via my phone and they said they dont support it....if they had enforced it they would have notified us that it is against our agreement or what have you. I must have transfered over 10 gigs a month at least and they have not said anything...after reading all this i do plan on using it a little more on the light side, but do plan on continuing to use it. It is a very good alternative to broadband...if i had enough phones id cancel broadband all together and use them on all my computers....so the sameway people "rob" the movie industry by downloading movies, they pay back by buying a ticket to see the movie. I buy broadband but still use sprint. For example someone at work downloaded matrix reloaded and had his ISP cancel him, but he got it back after explaining that he bought a ticket but was never able to view it, he had retained the untouched ticket and recieved his service back. There is nothing wrong with using your treo as a modem. i use it and encourage others to use it as well. NotifyMail and June Fabrics both provide excellent programs.
    --Icy--
    How does getting banned from Vision for life sound?
    a) worth the risk
    b) losing $10/month unlimited vision is not worth the risk.
    c) what is vision?
    Well, don't start crying if and when Sprint cuts you off. The fact that until recently Sprint hasn't enforced the rule doesn't make it right to do it. Nor does the lack of any pamphlets telling you not to do it. It's in the AA so you're supposed to know it. Bank robbery is illegal. Does that mean the government should mail every American a letter saying that bank robbery is illegal so don't do it?

Sprint's network is fragile and congested enough without people like you using it as an ISP. There's a reason why they sell PC card plans. Sprint is really cracking down on people like you and chances are you will get caught. Once that happens, no Matrix Reloaded ticket will get you back unlimited Vision. You'll be paying $.01 per kilobyte after that.
    Why not use it?

If the capabilities were not meant to be used then why even have the capabilities available? Apparently that is the point to having this feature.

I do not understand this point of view. I work for a large software corporation. There are many times that I need to get my e-mail when I am on the road in the airport or hotel and wideband access is non-existant. And I can plug in my Treo via my USB and voila. I have a connection to the internet. Not wideband. But it is much better than the dialup connection I have. Plus I can do vpn across it. But I do not use it for long term connections. I use it to get my e-mail only. I am not on ther to do long term browsing.

Also if there is a critical file I need and I do not have internet access at a client I will use the treo to fill the gap in a pinch to get what I need to do the job.

So what is the deal here? I have the vision. I am not using it continually. It is only on an as needed basis. Plus the wireless access points are not that far from being on just about every street corner anyway.

Cary
    Originally posted by carydc
    Why not use it?

If the capabilities were not meant to be used then why even have the capabilities available? Apparently that is the point to having this feature.

I do not understand this point of view. I work for a large software corporation. There are many times that I need to get my e-mail when I am on the road in the airport or hotel and wideband access is non-existant. And I can plug in my Treo via my USB and voila. I have a connection to the internet. Not wideband. But it is much better than the dialup connection I have. Plus I can do vpn across it. But I do not use it for long term connections. I use it to get my e-mail only. I am not on ther to do long term browsing.

Also if there is a critical file I need and I do not have internet access at a client I will use the treo to fill the gap in a pinch to get what I need to do the job.

So what is the deal here? I have the vision. I am not using it continually. It is only on an as needed basis. Plus the wireless access points are not that far from being on just about every street corner anyway.

Cary
    I don't see a problem with the kind of usage you discribed. If that all you use it for, Sprint probably won't care either. What I don't agree with is the kind of usage that the original poster described. He said he uses Vision as an ISP and goes through 10 gigs of data in a month. That's just plain wrong. It clogs up the network and prevents other users from using Vision on their phones or even making calls. A voice call on Sprint uses approximately 8-12 kbps. The Wireless Web uses 14 kbps. Then you have Vision that averages 50-70 kbps and peaks at 144 kbps. So for every minute that someone uses Kazaa and leaves their computer on Vision for an extended period of time, that's between 5 and 10 voice calls that might not be able to be made. Just because it's possible to do something doesn't mean it's right. If Sprint had the capacity that everyone could sign on all the time and download gigs of data on end then fine, no big deal. But at least one out of every three times I try and connect to Vision I get a "network busy" error. I don't want to not be able to check my e-mail from my phone (which is allowed by the ToS and AA) because somebody is downloading movies (which clearly isn't allowed).
    I would agree with letsgoflyers.

While there might be nothing wrong with using your phone as a
    modem on a rare occurance when you're mobile and need to
    check email, I think transferring over 10GB is just plain wrong.

I have enough troubles connecting to Vision with "network busy"
    errors, as well as network drops. It's one thing if you were
    just stealing bandwidth. But the bandwidth robbery has a
    negative effect on the quality of service for other users.

Stop being so cheap and keep your excessive bandwidth usage
    on broadband networks that have the infrastructure to support
    you.
    Sprint has announced that is has plans to offer differing level of use service shortly via the PCMCIA cards they are marketing they are going to double this up with "Hot Spot" WiFi technologies to improve their coverage. It was mentioned on the CNET site in the wireless area.

Right now the rates suck big time. For 300 MB of download which aint much at all. It costs $100/month. Vs the $10.00/month for unlimited on the Treo 300 as a modem. Plus you have the additional $35 charge to activate your new modem. And the additional hardware expenses of $175 to $275 for their two different PCMCIA wireless modem cards.

So you do the math. Sprint is under preasure to deliver right now because AT&T, Verison, and T-Mobile are marketing decent plans that meet or beat Sprints offerings. Yeah they are using different technology. However, they are also doing the WiFi gig as well. So something will have to shake out shortly. The market will force it one way or the other. Then it may become a muet point.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The legit way to do it is to get a 270 on T-Mobile and subscribe to their unlimited data plan for $20/mo. It's slower, but they explicitly allow such use.
    Not much help if you're locked in with Sprint, I know. I suspect Sprint had no clue that the 300 could be made to work that way without software they could sell and track as they do with their other phones and PCMCIA cards. (I likewise suspect Handspring guessed it could, and wisely kept mum on the subject). :-)

Rusty J
    270 Unlocked (AT&T, for now...)
    PocketTop IR keyboard