Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone care to speculate on how long it will be (after the initial Treo 600 launch) before they release a version with a 320x320 screen? Not that I would want to wait for it (haven't we waited long enough!)

I thought perhaps someone with some telco or mobile phone industry knowledge might like to hazard a guess > I want to know how long I will before they bring out the 320x320 and I have to drool over it or fork out another wad of $$$$.
    For a Treo? You can count on it being at least the end of 2004, if ever. Not because the technology isn't available, but simply because with the transition from Handspring to Palm (both of whom are slow to bring new products to market), they aren't likely to release an "improved" Treo 600 until they are ready for a "next generation" version.

IMO, 320x320 resolution (while certainly something that should have come with the Treo 600) is no longer revolutionary on the Palm platform. Further, Handspring/PalmOne is not likely to release anything that competes directly with the Treo 600 until they can recoup some of what they've got invested in current development and inventory. After all, we all know that if they did release a 320x320 Treo 600 (or even announced such a thing), no one would buy a 160x160 version. It would kill the Treo 600's sales numbers for the current crop before it is even released because people would wait to buy the next version.

Some people have even stated that they aren't going to bother with the 600 because they want to wait for the "improved" version that is "sure to follow". All of that just because Greg Shirai (a Handspring representative) hinted that there would be a family of Treos based on the 600 model. So I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. Whatever PalmOne is planning for the Treo 600 line (if anything) will not be announced any time soon.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    thanks Gadget, I expected as much. It was probably a bit of a masochistic question in the first place
    I'd like to echo that. I don't think you'll see one for a long long time, if ever. Indeed if I had to place a bet, I'd say never.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Greg$ $Shirai$'$s$ $comments$ $about$ $an$ $improved$ $Treo$ $had$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $integrated$ $BT$ ($since$ $space$ $for$ $the$ $chip$ $has$ $been$ $left$ $in$ $the$ $current$ $600$'$s$), $not$ $with$ $hi$-$res$ $screens$.

Like Insp. Gadget, my guess is the end of 2004, but I wouldn't add "if ever." Palm makes 320 x 320 screens now, and they will be guiding the future develpment of the Treo; and besides, there's not much left to improve besides the resolution and BT connectivity.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Greg$ $Shirai$'$s$ $comments$ $about$ $an$ $improved$ $Treo$ $had$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $integrated$ $BT$ ($since$ $space$ $for$ $the$ $chip$ $has$ $been$ $left$ $in$ $the$ $current$ $600$'$s$), $not$ $with$ $hi$-$res$ $screens$.

Like Insp. Gadget, my guess is the end of 2004, but I wouldn't add "if ever." Palm makes 320 x 320 screens now, and they will be guiding the future develpment of the Treo; and besides, there's not much left to improve besides the resolution and BT connectivity.
    In a perfect world, I would agree with you, but how many times have we seen companies buy technology (or another company) and canabolize that technology or innovation, without regard to the existing product line of the technology they inherited?

It happens often enough and those who were left with orphaned products either had to stick with what they had or buy the "new" product that didn't quite follow their original product's concept or ideology. The things they may have liked about their original product may not have been important to the new owners of the technology.

I'm not saying that PalmOne fits that mold, but I would like to point out that it is a possibility for which we Treo owners should be prepared.

Personally, I think PalmOne will certainly try to capitalize on the Treo technology and design. They'd be fools not to. I'm hoping that the positives in the Treo 600 design continue to survive in any new products and that the negatives (such as lack of high-res, integrated bluetooth, replaceable battery, etc.) are fixed.

Though Handspring isn't admitting it, I think that $$$ is a prime reason that those technologies didn't make it into the initial Treo 600. Yeah...Yeah, the form factor is certainly something to be concerned about, but it wouldn't have stopped some of technology from making it into the device.

For example, the screen technology that Handspring used in the Treo 600 costs about half as much as the screens that Palm is using in its high-res devices (at least from a technology standpoint). That cost savings didn't make it to the consumer. It was likely eaten up by other development costs such as the keyboard redesign, new contracts with radio manufacturers, etc. Since Handspring was already strapped for cash, I can see why a few corners were cut in a few areas. Let's hope that PalmOne does well enough financially to make the improvements that Handspring couldn't justify when it came to the bottom line: MONEY.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    It was my impression that the 160 x 160 screen size was a compromise in favor of longer battery life. Palm, even more than HS, has always favored long battery life.

To the extent that this is true 320 x 320 may may await invention rather than simply economics.
    Some people have even stated that they aren't going to bother with the 600 because they want to wait for the "improved" version that is "sure to follow". All of that just because Greg Shirai (a Handspring representative) hinted that there would be a family of Treos based on the 600 model.
    After reading this, and given the current financial resources of the new pa1mOne (after its merger/buy-out of Handspring), IMHO, I take it to mean that there will be a family of Treo 600's -- one for CDMA and one for GSM -- unlike the current 270/300 naming for the current carriers.

Given Palm's history on PDA's, a new generation would be developed and have the ubiquitous "premum pricing" ala Zire and Tungsten.

So, I'll get the new 600 and if a new one comes out in late 2004 (like its only 1 year) and the upgrades are better, I would probably get the new version as well.

That being said, I rely heavily on all of the features of my Treo 300 -- I use the phone a lot, the PDA all day, the email all day and the internet at least a dozen times each day. The more they can pack into this tool for me, the better. I'm convinced that it will replace my laptop. Especially since I can use this for my presentations or this to keep track of things at home. .
    http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...wComments=true

With the new OS 5.3, Palm will support six different res. from 160x160 up to 320x480. It seems that the QVGA (240x320) makes most sense for smartphone. It is same as PPC res. and makes the vendor software support easier across OS. With the new Virtual Grafitti feature, screen usage becomes more efficient.
    Originally posted by mcyang
    http://www.bargainpda.com/default.as...wComments=true

With the new OS 5.3, Palm will support six different res. from 160x160 up to 320x480.
    Does the Treo 600 comes with OS 5.3? Are you saying that the Treo will be able to toggle different resolutions?
    Originally posted by PDAman

Does the Treo 600 comes with OS 5.3? Are you saying that the Treo will be able to toggle different resolutions?
    I don't think he's saying it will toggle resolutions. If he is, he's wrong.
    Originally posted by PDAman

OS 5.3 would provide licensee vendors more choice of res. selection. The LCD they select and software has to support it. It is a little too late for T600. But they will have more choices for their next model. QVGA sounds a good one for me. I don't know if T600 can be upgraded to OS 5.3 and take the advantage of the Virtual Grafitti. It is a good question to ask.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Not much left to improve!! I must beg to differ. Here is a list of things I would want to improve on the Treo600 that I mentioned previously on another thread:

Dual Mode CDMA 1xrtt/1xEvDo(v)/GSM/GPRS radio with R-UIM card
    - Intel X-scale 400 MHZ based Palm OS 6 (multitaskng, multithreading) device
    - 128 MB ram with M-System based DiskOnChip NAND storage up to 1 GB Internal Media!
    - TFT Transflective 320x320 screen (no more cstn BS)
    - minimum 1 MP integrated camera. (Heck Jphone is planning on release a 2 MP camera phone soon!) Perhaps even dual camera like the SE Z1010?
    - Dual Expansion SDIO or even SDIO + mini SD (I would be happy w/ the latter)
    - In addtion to Dual Mode cellular: integrated BT + Wifi. If Wanda can have it, why not the Treo?
    - Integrated Snaptrack snapcore GPS functionality with NMEA support
    - Integrated Sprint Ready Link "Push to talk" functionality
    - video conferencing capable
    - multimedia/mp3 etc and al those rest of the goodies
    - True SMS from Sprint
    - Huge (3000 mAh?) rechargeable, replaceable battery!
    - inexpensive 3rd party email solution (Visto etc?)
    - and I want all of this to fit into the same form factor and design of the Treo 600!!

In fact, I thinks there's tons of improvement possible on the Treo600 and I hope Handspring doesn't take another year before we see any of them...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14. purpleX
    Maybe the incredibally outdated OS need to get updated first?
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

- Intel X-scale 400 MHZ based Palm OS 6 (multitaskng, multithreading) device

Let's just go with the top speed X-scale processor - Samsung 533 mhz chip to be released by year's end.

We probably also need the Fuel Cell battery to support all those features and functions. Hopefully we don't need two hands to hold the device.
    gfunkmagic wrote:
    Not much left to improve!! I must beg to differ. Here is a list of things I would want to improve on the Treo600 that I mentioned previously on another thread:

I meant improvements that are a bit more pronounced for the causal shopper, the one who doesn't know or care what "true" SMS vs. "fake" SMS is. I'd almost include Bluetooth in that list. But your list is certainly valid.

Since Palm does business in the real world with limited resources, they probably focus their efforts on adding 20% of desired improvements that will generate 80% more buzz. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but I'm not a visionary.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mcyang
    [B]

Hopefully we don't need two hands to hold the device.

How about wheels w/ ABS brakes.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    For a long time Handspring has been coasting on the genius of its Treo design.

However, the advertising "Hamstrung" commercials couldn't have been worse even if they had tried.

Just putting on the screen Phone + Palm + Internet + email + keyboard together in silence would have been better.

But Sony has been barking up the wrong tree for so long that their mistake is soon to be remedied.

Their new laptop palm is amazing. Watch out for a Sony 600 killer...oh yes it will have 320 x 320 easily.

I palyed with the Garmin 3600 with its 320 x 480 and wow. But with GPS the life was 1/2 an hour.
    Originally posted by mgauss

I palyed with the Garmin 3600 with its 320 x 480 and wow. But with GPS the life was 1/2 an hour. [/B]
    Design is all about hard choices.
    frankly i just want it readable in the sunlite and outside. I am not writing the magana carta on the darn thing nor am i viewing a dvd, with all of the carring on about imporved puic 320 x 320, big deal after all, it is an item to make our life easier. If i keep waiting for an imporved model, i willnever buy anything.

It would be nice tohave a 320 x 320, but the pricing would keep too many people aways right now. HS was pressed 4 a $ when it came up with it and franklywith the way the econ is right now I am pressed 4 a $ 2. So 600 with the plamnned screen will be just fine thanks.

Making it 320 x 320 would not improve it as much as maing the screen bigger but that is life it is all a trade of. HS felt it it put the better screen in it would not sell well enuf 4 them to stay in biz or 4 someone 2 want to buy them out. So quess what palm is buying them out, perhaps b/c the 600 is going 2 b priced affordably! jay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast