1.    #1  
    I live in the Bay Area. After reading some of Jake's earlier posts, before the Hawkins meeting stuff came out, I contacted Jake. We got together about two weeks ago and Jake showed me the presentation that he was only able to get through about halfway with Handspring's CEO.

At this time, before this stuff is posted, its not my place to say how terrific or crappy Jake's materials are. (Though, yes, I really like Bullet Train). Treocentral members who are interested will make their own evaluations.

I will say that Jake is, in my opinion, a legitimate designer. He must have spent a great deal of time putting together his materials (Phantom V, etc.).

He clearly takes a great deal of pride in his work and he seems like a methodical guy (so we should be patient). The models and Powerpoint presentation do exist.

In summary, I guess, well just have to stay tuned.
    Last edited by Stickman; 08/26/2003 at 11:47 PM.
    Are you refering to his Doeskin Denim material?

http://www.jakeejeans.com/company.htm
  3.    #3  
    No, dammit. He didn't bring any of that stuff.

He also didn't bring along any of the female models from those photos, unfortunately.
  4. purpleX
    This whole west coast thing is getting little weird. So is he better than Mr. Armani?

I still think all he has to do is hire a programmer and tell him to write his idea, and quit talking about it until the program shows up.

Phantom V? hell if he believes it THAT much, there are a couple of ODM in far east ready to sell him existing phones models which he can redesign the UI+chasis. If Orange can do it, he sure can do it. I've heard some taiwanese company ready to customize phone for order as little as several thousand batch. Of course he'll have to deal with Microsoft Smartphone instead tho.

Designer phone... (not a bad idea really)
    of course I doubt there is more than several hundred customer he can find on the net.

He can also write his program for Neonode, A new Swidish phone outfit. They are hopelessly stylish and always late. It's absolutely in his alley. lol
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/2811,2.html
    http://www.neonode.com/
    Originally posted by purpleX
    I still think all he has to do is hire a programmer and tell him to write his idea, and quit talking about it until the program shows up....
    That's funny. I thought he should be hiring a writer to help him better explain his idea, and quite talking about himself...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Jake's all right. I've got no problem with him or his writing style, and I've got to respect a fellow vintage 1966 kid, who drew Mach 5's and likes watches. I think he took comments of mine the wrong way on another topic but that's understandable if he felt he was being beseiged.

But I was entirely confused about the intended purpose of his meeting with JH and remain so. Evidently so were the participants, unfortunately. What are we supposed to be shown from that meeting in the upcoming series?

I was assuming and would have hoped it would shed some more light on HS and JH's design philosophy as it pertains to the 600 and forthcoming models in the line. Now I am not sure if Jake got far enough with Jeff to have even discussed that. I am guessing Jake was hoping his views would have some influence on Jeff and they would have some kind of synergy come out of that and maybe the idea for some amazing new Treo design and THAT is what we were supposed to be hearing about. But obviously that didn't happen, so is there really anything to report now?

And what's coming next, part 2 or part 3? Was part 2 the post about Jeff's rudeness? Or is part 2 still in production?

I hope whatever the design guys come up with, it is simple and works. I do like Jake's design philosophy's that I saw on his site so I am interested in what he's come up with. I basically want a good solid cell phone with seamless integration with the PDA part, especially the contacts, a kick-a** screen viewable wherever the heck I happen to be--indoors, outdoors, the outer rim of hell, wherever. Replaceable battery, comfortable thumb-board and a form factor that either is compact or can fold up and become compact, yet still let me see who is calling. And a robust OS, be it Palm or PPC. Is that too much to ask? (I ALMOST have that with my G1000 but thing is huge and I wish I could fold it in half or something).
    Originally posted by monkeywithacold
    Jake's all right. I've got no problem with him or his writing style, and I've got to respect a fellow vintage 1966 kid, who drew Mach 5's and likes watches. I think he took comments of mine the wrong way on another topic but that's understandable if he felt he was being beseiged.

But I was entirely confused about the intended purpose of his meeting with JH and remain so. Evidently so were the participants, unfortunately. What are we supposed to be shown from that meeting in the upcoming series?

I was assuming and would have hoped it would shed some more light on HS and JH's design philosophy as it pertains to the 600 and forthcoming models in the line. Now I am not sure if Jake got far enough with Jeff to have even discussed that. I am guessing Jake was hoping his views would have some influence on Jeff and they would have some kind of synergy come out of that and maybe the idea for some amazing new Treo design and THAT is what we were supposed to be hearing about. But obviously that didn't happen, so is there really anything to report now?

And what's coming next, part 2 or part 3? Was part 2 the post about Jeff's rudeness? Or is part 2 still in production?

I hope whatever the design guys come up with, it is simple and works. I do like Jake's design philosophy's that I saw on his site so I am interested in what he's come up with. I basically want a good solid cell phone with seamless integration with the PDA part, especially the contacts, a kick-a** screen viewable wherever the heck I happen to be--indoors, outdoors, the outer rim of hell, wherever. Replaceable battery, comfortable thumb-board and a form factor that either is compact or can fold up and become compact, yet still let me see who is calling. And a robust OS, be it Palm or PPC. Is that too much to ask? (I ALMOST have that with my G1000 but thing is huge and I wish I could fold it in half or something).
    Hi Monkeywithacold!

Imagine the Mach 5 with a Treo 600 hands free car kit. Pretty cool! I actually cover that in Part 4 of series which is titled: "Bullet Train Auto Dashboard. "

Actually I did have the opportunity to discuss a great deal with Jeff Hawkins and learn about his perspective most of which I strongly disagree with. So far as I could tell the only thing that Jeff and I were in complete agreement upon was the increasingly important role handheld computing will have.

Actually in retrospect, my meeting with Jeff was not only a character defining moment, but it was fascinating from a design perspective. For instance, the way his office was decorated and the kind of computer he had on his desk. I will not divulge such information because I respect his privacy, but it was fascinating.

Jeff asked me no keep the contents of our discussion confidential. Despite the fact I did not, nor was I asked to sign a non disclosure agreement, I have chosen not to discuss Jeff Hawkins perspective.

Instead, I have chosen to share my perspective with you. In doing so I believe you will gain much more insight into the future of handheld computing than I think Jeff would share with you. All I want to say about my meeting with Jeff Hawkins is that is was very Wizard of Ozish, or oddish. That’s why I referred to him as the Wizard of Palm.

To answer your questions about what to expect in my upcoming series I addressed it on the following link:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=35686

Creating my presentation for Jeff Hawkins was extremely challenging. Now I am dissecting it and putting it back together again for HTLM, Plus I have to write additional copy.

There are several reasons why we decided to break it up into multiple articles. First because my presentation is very detailed and extensive it would allow us to focus on and discuss one thing at a time and second because it is a slow news summer. Instead of coming to the forum and seeing nothing new we thought it would be nice to have an engaging, intellectually stimulating discussion on the future of handheld computing. Here is the outline for my articles.

1. Bullet Train for the Treo 600 (Already Posted)
    2. Phantom V Design Reference.
    3. Bullet Train Desktop Dashboard. (New PIM UI that replaces Outlook and Palm Desktop & extends the Desktop to the Phantom V.)
    4. Bullet Train Auto Dashboard. (Car)
    5. Bullet Train Express Schedule. (Datebook + taken to the next level)

My premise with Bullet Train is that you want to get to exactly what you want instantly as you will see.”
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  8. purpleX
    what's a Mach 5?
    I'm closing this thread. It is repeating already said information in other topics. If you would like to continue to discuss this, please use this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1 (from article comments) to do so.

I also want to repeat what i said earlier: These discussions are going nowhere, and they don't represent the treocentral community well.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff