1.    #1  
    Just received via UPS a refurb Treo to replace mine with a loose/ intermittent charge connector. The Palm OS is 3.5.2H6.3
    Is this the latest and does that mean I do not have to run the updater?

Is the System conduit the one that controls the backup of hacks and third party apps? I want to do a fresh install of hacks and third party apps so should I set the System conduit to "do nothing"?

What do I do with my old phone? The replacement phone did not come with return instructions nor did the CSR at the store tell me what to do with the old phone. Can I assume they don't want it back and I can keep it for parts?
    cannot coment on the sw version question,but the best way I know to do a clean first synch with out the 3rd party apps is to remove them from your backup directory on your PC... should be under palm, user name then backup, or something like that
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    Just received via UPS a refurb Treo to replace mine with a loose/ intermittent charge connector. The Palm OS is 3.5.2H6.3
    Is this the latest and does that mean I do not have to run the updater?

Is the System conduit the one that controls the backup of hacks and third party apps? I want to do a fresh install of hacks and third party apps so should I set the System conduit to "do nothing"?

What do I do with my old phone? The replacement phone did not come with return instructions nor did the CSR at the store tell me what to do with the old phone. Can I assume they don't want it back and I can keep it for parts?
    The updater updates the firmware of the phone, not the Palm OS. Whatever version of of Palm you have (I have 3.5.2H6.0), you can't upgrade that.

Deleting the apps from your backup dir would work, and you could also uninstall and reinstall the Palm desktop software if necessary.

As for your old Treo, if they don't ask for it, I'd hold onto it. But who was your Treo replaced by, Handspring, Sprint, or another store? If it's Sprint, be careful that they don't charge you for the new Treo for not sending your old one in. But if you're able to keep it, if and when you want to get a Treo 600, you can sell your new and working 300 on Ebay and use the old broken one with the Handspring trade in offer. That way you can get as much money back as possible to cut down on the price of the 600.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

The updater updates the firmware of the phone, not the Palm OS. Whatever version of of Palm you have (I have 3.5.2H6.0), you can't upgrade that.

Deleting the apps from your backup dir would work, and you could also uninstall and reinstall the Palm desktop software if necessary.

As for your old Treo, if they don't ask for it, I'd hold onto it. But who was your Treo replaced by, Handspring, Sprint, or another store? If it's Sprint, be careful that they don't charge you for the new Treo for not sending your old one in. But if you're able to keep it, if and when you want to get a Treo 600, you can sell your new and working 300 on Ebay and use the old broken one with the Handspring trade in offer. That way you can get as much money back as possible to cut down on the price of the 600.
    letsgoflyers81,
    Thank you for the reply.
    My firmware is 1.21 per phone info under options

Per Handspring's site:
    "If the PhoneBook version number is 3.5.2H6.3, your Treo 300 already has been upgraded with the Treo 300 Updater 1.0.1. You do not need to install this software."

Is the PhonBook version a good indication of level of firmware? Sounds kind of weird.

My PhoneBook is 3.5H5. Do I need to install the updater 1.0.1?

Before I read your reply, I moved the backup folder onto the desktop then did a hotsync and that did the trick, i.e. one of the 3rd part apps or hacks were installed. However I lost my speed dial data and still trying to restore it. I tried copying the phonedialDB from my old backup folder into the newly created backup folder (under user) but that did not work. Any tips appreciated. I've searched the forum and there was a thread that says ti use FileZ to get the speed dial data back but i have not done that yet.

As for my old Treo 300, Sprint never asked for it back so I'll just play dumb and keep an eye on my bill and make sure they don't charge me for it.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

letsgoflyers81,
    Thank you for the reply.
    My firmware is 1.21 per phone info under options

Per Handspring's site:
    "If the PhoneBook version number is 3.5.2H6.3, your Treo 300 already has been upgraded with the Treo 300 Updater 1.0.1. You do not need to install this software."

Is the PhonBook version a good indication of level of firmware? Sounds kind of weird.

My PhoneBook is 3.5H5. Do I need to install the updater 1.0.1?

Before I read your reply, I moved the backup folder onto the desktop then did a hotsync and that did the trick, i.e. one of the 3rd part apps or hacks were installed. However I lost my speed dial data and still trying to restore it. I tried copying the phonedialDB from my old backup folder into the newly created backup folder (under user) but that did not work. Any tips appreciated. I've searched the forum and there was a thread that says ti use FileZ to get the speed dial data back but i have not done that yet.

As for my old Treo 300, Sprint never asked for it back so I'll just play dumb and keep an eye on my bill and make sure they don't charge me for it.
    If your firmware is 1.21, then you have the latest version installed. Now that you mention, I remember people talking about one of the updates upgrading the phonebook. I never used the update for fear of turbo drain but if you do some searches, you might be able to find more info on the updates and phonebook.

About the speed dial, I only have 10 entries so when I've had to hard reset and didn't back them up, I just re-entered them manually.

Good luck with holding onto your old Treo. But yeah, watch your Sprint bills VERY closely for the next couple months to make sure they don't stick something on there.
    The original treo300 comes with Firmware ver. 1.02; Palm OS ver. 3.5.2H6.0; PRL 10015; Phonebook ver. 3.5H5. The updates upgrade the Firmware to ver. 1.21; and the Palm OS to ver. 3.5.2H6.3; and PRL to 10018 or 10019; but does not do anything to the phonebook ver.

newtreouser: sounds like your refurb phone has been updated.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!